Post Spay and LESS Mature?!?!?@ - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I never heard of this before but I think you are freaking out for no reason its only been 3 weeks and she had major surgery,plus she didn't exercise for 2 weeks long maybe she is just too excited to be back in the "game" again. Stop worriyng, time will tell she will be mature again.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks for the comments everyone.

As an update, I upped her exercise to an 2 hour walk and another 1 hour of chasing jolly ball. She calmed down more at night for bed. I kept her leashed to me at night just so I can feel when she wants to run around the house. It might be the 2 weeks cooped up without her usual exercise. She is still a little mouthier than she previously was, and I'll keep the higher level of exercise and training until her lady self returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
I think there is a bit of wax and wane as dogs mature. Rocket went through these "waves", and I don't think they are affected by s/n. I think many dogs get "fixed" during these waves, when in reality they will even out as the dog matures. Just be patient and consistent--she'll be back to her "lady-like" self soon.
Thanks for the comment! I hope so. Wish she would target cheaper and dog friendlier items to vent her puppy waves on than my phone. T___T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
It's funny you should say that...(her being a "lady). My Libby was spayed as a 5-6mos. old puppy and never did chew things up or be naughty.

I have a 3yr. old Doxie that's as immature about chewing and getting into things as heck. She was allowed to have her 1st heat and was spayed @ 1yr.

I think it's as much the dog's temperament as anything.

It's also funny about dogs that stay puppies forever because (compared to wolves) domesticated dogs never "mature" fully as they age.
An Excerpt from Chapter 2: A Dog’s Life
I've read that before. Dogs stay young and playful. I quite enjoy that she likes to play...I just also enjoyed having a calm adult house dog.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshies View Post
It might be the 2 weeks cooped up without her usual exercise.
Ah, I don't know why I didn't think of that--yes, the post-surgical recovery period where she hasn't gotten her regular exercise for two weeks--that could definitely do it! She is probably just bored and chomping at the bit for more exercise after being cooped up. After she expells some of that extra built-up energy, and the hormones settle down, she should return to her "ladylike" self.

It's interesting that the vet said her uterus was larger than normal. Wonder if she was going through a false pregnancy? If so, her hormones would have been all in a tizzy, and removing the uterus doesn't remove all the hormones from the body right away. As I said, it will take about 6 weeks for the hormones to dissipate and return to balance.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

So we are about 5 weeks post spay, and I wanted to update this thread to say she definitely has gotten less mature with the spaying. It could be the hormonal changes, frustration from still having the cone on for a toe sore, or the 2 week break in structure and exercise post spay.

I've upped the exercise, but we are experiencing some behavior problems that we had seen when she was about 7 months old. She is mouthy, pushy, destructive in the house and yard, vocal/frustrated on public transit and generally always busy except for the early morning cuddle and the after play nap. I feel like I have a tiny puppy again!

Tonight, while playing with the flirt pole in our drive way with a long lead on, one of my friends greeted me from down the street. She barked once, her long lead slipped out of my hand and charged my friend, jumped up, and nipped her hand. She has NEVER done that before. It was completely my fault for not securing her better. We have always played in the drive way at night because our street is very very quiet, and the drive way doesn't have mud for her to slip on when we play the flirt pole. I think she nipped my friend's hand because she was so built up from the flirt pole and the frustration was transferred to my friend when she greeted.

I've restarted the relaxation protocol, and jogging with her, to try to calm her down more and help her settle. She is back on her prong collar in the house, which we haven't used in 5 months. On walks, she is on the gentle leader for more focus on me. We are also going to the vet tomorrow to see if there's something else agitating her.

I feel so frustrated and at a loss. It's a stressful time of the year for me because I have professional exams coming up...but I want to do right by her.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
It's a stressful time of the year for me
I think this actually may be your answer...
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
I think this actually may be your answer...
Msvette2u: When I interact with her, I am consistent and don't transfer my stress over. It's stressful because I am studying on a schedule for an exam, but her routine and our interactions have stayed the same. If anything, because I am home right now instead of at work, it should be even better for her since I have more time for her.

I don't know. I've written exams with her before, and she hasn't reacted differently to my schedule.

I just feel terrible because it feels like all the progress we made, and that great relationship we had is tumbling down.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Dogs are incredibly sensitive and if it's bothering you (any of it, your school stress, stress over her) it's going to affect them.
From what I understand, HH dogs are even more extreme in their ability to sense and act on their human's moods.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Dogs are incredibly sensitive and if it's bothering you (any of it, your school stress, stress over her) it's going to affect them.
From what I understand, HH dogs are even more extreme in their ability to sense and act on their human's moods.
She must be feeling my frustration towards her.

I was at a great place with her before in training, and keeping myself stable and calm. I will have to get over my frustration and be able to have that with her again. I want her to be able to trust me and defer to me for leadership again.

I will re-implement all of her little-dog training protocols, and hope she finds comfort in having more instruction and structure to act on.

I also REALLY hope her behavior isn't a result of something bothering her health-wise.

Thanks for your posts. I am really looking just for empathy, sympathy, and some possible thoughts, and yours delivered.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

"... This could be caused by a decrease in estrogen and oxytocin, both of which may have calming, anti-anxiety effects."

ASPCA | How Will Spaying Change My Dog?

I think part of her change may be from the decrease of these two hormones.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And don't forget she's still an adolescent dog. With or without reproductive organs they test the patience of anyone at this age and if you search a quick search on the forum you'll find a lot of people in the same situation as you. If being spayed had an effect on her, if... I'd say it's anecdotal.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.