I think my girl has kennel cough :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default I think my girl has kennel cough :(

I mentioned it to my vet on Thursday when I was there, she didn't seem too concerned. It's mostly in the mornings that she has a really phlegmy cough (just the last couple of days)

She did get her Bortadella vaccine, but the vet said it's not 100% effective.

This morning she ate all her food, but first left half of it, then went back for the rest, which isn't like her. She also feels warm and is quieter than usual.

Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable and bring down her fever? I haven't checked her temp yet, but can this afternoon. What is normal for a dog?

Is this a viral thing she has to get over herself, or could she need antibiotics?

My poor puppy.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Call your vet...hope they document in her file that yes bordatella vaccine is not effective(in fact dogs can get a respiratory from the vax!)
Hope she feels better asap. Are you supplementing with natural vitamin C? That acts as a natural antihistamine, and supports the immune system. Start at 500mg per meal and then up the dose to 1000mg per meal after a few days. C can upset the gut some, so starting small dosage is best to get the dog use to it. Try to get a human grade with rosehips. After the dog is a year you can give EsterC but it does contain 55mg of calcium so not recommended for pups.
Normal temp is 101-102.5
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Call today so that you don't get stuck on Sunday with a very sick dog.

It could also be something like roundworm which causes a cough.

I don't know that it sounds like kennel cough from your description but there could be a URI or parasite issue regardless and get her seen - bloodwork will help to confirm infection.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ok thanks guys, I just called the vet. Unfortunately, I'm at work and I get off the same time as the clinic closes, but the vet is going to call me back and I'll go to the emergency clinic in town on the way home if she thinks it's urgent.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ok, she's recommending I wait it out for a day or so. My dog is eating, a bit off, but she did eat and is playing a bit (She's at work with me, and tends to sleep a lot here anyway).

I'm going to pick up a new thermometer on the way home, if her temp is really high, I'll bring her back into town to the emerg clinic.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm sorry that your girl is not feeling well. When Bear got the bordatella vax he had a reaction to it and ended up with a mild case of it. He was yucky for about a week.

I'm now wondering since he had a reaction to it the first time if he will always have a reaction to it?

I hope your girl feels better soon
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have had to have every vac for certain dogs when I bordered them and saw nothing more then what I had to go thru with a child vac for my children. It depends but they can run fever, sleep a little more, etc.. There is a few simple things to give either one to help out a bit but it will be alright, if that is what it is.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Make sure she has PLENTY of water. You can't really force a dog to drink more than usual, but if she's not drinking and seems a bit dry, you can syringe fluids by placing it in her cheek pocket and pushing the plunger slowly and letting her swallow.

Add a bit of broth to her water maybe to give it some flavor.

We use Robitussin or Mucinex (JUST the expectorant one, NOT decongestant), you can use the one with DM to keep the cough quiet. On the bottle, look for:

Dextromethorphan Hbr 30 Mg, Purpose Cough Suppressant. Guaifenesin 600 Mg, Purpose Expectorant.

Mucinex DM 600 Mg Extended-Release Bi-Layer Cough Suppressant Tablets, 40 ct - Walmart.com
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Kennel Cough is sort of a blanket term for an upper respiratory infection that can be caused by several different viruses or bacteria, which is why the vaccine is not 100% effective.

When Dena had KC my vet recommended the Robitussin that msvette mentions above, if her cough got bad enough to warrant it. Hers was not that bad, so I bought some Robitussin but only ended up giving it to her a couple of times.

IF it's a mild case of KC it should run its course without further treatment, like a human cold. However, there is the possibility of developing a secondary bacterial infection requiring antibiotics, which is why it's always a good idea to stay in touch with your vet, and bring her in if s/he thinks it's necessary.

Here's some info: Bordetella (Kennel Cough) Vaccination

Quote:
What Is Kennel Cough?

Kennel cough is an infectious disease of dogs which results in a persistent, dry hacking cough which is sometimes severe. Kennel cough is caused by several viruses and bacteria working alone or in combination. The most important of these is a bacteria named Bordetella bronchiseptica. Although kennel cough is usually a mild disease and recovery is usually complete, we strive to prevent it when possible.
Quote:
Why Is The Bordetella Vaccination Not A 100% Guarantee That My Dog Won't Get Kennel Cough?

This is because while Bordetella bronchiseptica (the bacteria we are vaccinating against) is a prime cause of kennel cough and we also are protecting against two viruses that cause kennel cough (Parainfluenza and Adenovirus Type II), there are other bacteria & viruses which can cause kennel cough on occasion.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

IMO, and we see a lot of KC in rescue, if she has a fever at all, it's better to get her on antibiotics sooner than later.
It depends on how taxed your dog's immune system is and how she's handling it, as much as anything.
Our dogs rarely get it, and we have dogs with KC all the time that come from shelters with it, because our dogs immune systems aren't taxed like shelter dogs' are.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.