I think my girl has kennel cough :( - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I syringe "Pedialyte" but if had to Gatorade (or a hydrate drink) will work too.The lighter the color is better, I have always heard that and done it (works) easier on the tummy.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Gatorade and pedialtye have more sodium than a dog needs.
Water or very dilute chicken broth work better
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Gatorade and pedialtye have more sodium than a dog needs.
Water or very dilute chicken broth work better

Sounds like a good mix but, (knock on wood) I have got dogs over parvo with what I said (more then most). My vets agree with me too, but then I learned it from the best
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hi all, just wanted to update.

She still had a bit of a weird cough this morning, but it's only in the morning and not every day? Also, kennel cough says it's a dry cough and this sounds more phlegmy when she does cough - which isn't often.

Anyway, when I got her home on Saturday, I took her temp. Her ears weren't as pink and she didn't feel hot to me anymore, and sure enough, her temp was 101.7, so normal, or back to normal by then.

She was picky about her food all day on Saturday, and basically went totally off it on Sunday, although she was acting bright, playing and pouncing like normal and was chewing on her bully sticks. Drinking really well, so not worried about her fluids.

Her appetite picked up last night and she ate her breakfast this morning, although still a bit reluctantly. Could her throat be feeling sore if she's got a cold?

Her poop was really loose, then normal, then loose again this morning.

All in all, I think she's feeling much better, although still has the weird morning cough. Do you think I should still take her in? My vet didn't seem worried on Saturday when I called, and said to give her the weekend to see how she did, unless she really started to look bad.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Yes...it can't hurt to have her seen.
Is this dog adopted recently? If not, how'd she get kc? Classes or dog park?
A cough could be many things including heart worm or early signs of heat disease. Get her checked out.
Normal healthy dogs usually do not get kc out of the blue.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I got her from a good breeder at 8 weeks of age (she's 7 months).

She's UTD on all vaccinations, including Bortadella, and is on Revolution every month (just got her revolution last week too, could this be a reaction?).

She is in doggy daycare and obedience classes, so is frequently exposed to other dogs. The daycare has a mandatory Bortadella vaccine rule, so all dogs should be vaccinated (I know it's not fool proof).
Old 12-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

The issue is, one can assume it's kc when it's something different. If she's steadily improving then it's probably a reaction to the vaccine.
If she's not improving, may be worth a vet visit.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'll continue to monitor her. thanks for your advice, if she seems to plateau or get worse, I'll for sure take her back in.

I'm also going to watch for the same reaction to her next dose of Revolution, I didn't associate that with these symptoms, but now I'm wondering if it has anything to do with it.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

I don't think it's a side effect, no. If she's routinely exposed to KC, at some point she'll get it, that's just a given.
Sometimes the vaccine for kc can cause the illness.
We found it positively useless in our rescue so quit giving it completely.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I was just reading this article:

Your Pet's Best Friend - Problems with Heartworm Treatment

Do you think there's any chance that my dog could get heartworm despite having been on Revolution, and giving her this recent treatment could have caused a die-off and these symptoms? I treated her early last week, maybe the weekend and I first noticed the cough on Wed am. I think my vet thinks I'm a hypochondriac. If this sounds ridiculous let me know. lol

"This is the unsatisfactory part of the heartworm treatment. It's why dogs feel bad a week or so after they are treated. That's when the worms die and shift position. The dog may have a fever, cough, lose appetite, have trouble breathing, or cough up blood. Sometimes you don't see any of those things, but you can just tell that your dog doesn't feel good. You know your dog, and even though he may not have specific signs, you can tell when he doesn't feel well. This is the reason we ask you to restrict the dog's activity for several weeks after treatment -- no hard running for a while."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.