Trifexis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trifexis

My GSD girl (9 months old) is on Trifexis chewable tablets every month. Last month, I forgot to get it from her vet, but got it for her last night and gave it to her then.

Now, my question IS... not only last month, but for the past few months, it seems like she's constantly itching or nibbling herself, mainly near her butt, and she is constantly licking herself in her "girl part" This morning, she was really going at it down there, is this something to be worried about? Should I take her to the vet to see if there's something going on?

She had a yeast infection a few months back, but took 2 weeks worth of abx for it and cleared it up.

If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it!!
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

P.S. just scheduled a vet appt for tomorrow morning, just seeing if anyone else has seen or dealt with this before!?

Here is my babes..
Attached Thumbnails
Trifexis-remington.jpg   Trifexis-remm.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ava was on Trifexis for a couple of months in the summer, but she didn't tolerate it well (she vomited the last 2 times she had it) so we switched her to a different med. The itching doesn't necessarily have to do with the drug, especially if you don't see any flea or tick marks on her. What kind of food is she on? Ava used to itch like that when we first got her, and she was on Science Diet at the time. After switching her to a grain-free food, she stopped the itching.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

She seems to respond to Trifexis well, no vomiting or anything.. I haven't seen any fleas on her- but we did just go visit family in Oklahoma last weekend and they have a 10 wk old GSD and a 10 month old Chesapeake bay retriever who stay outside and inside, and last time we went there, she came back with a few fleas that died off pretty quickly.

She is on Purina One Healthy Puppy Chow, it's got the dehydrated chicken pieces in it, with chicken being #1 ingredient

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Its probably environmental or food related. We went through this with Suki as well and we stopped Trifexis and switched to a topical, but I don't think that is what made a difference. Her coat looks better than ever and she itches much less since we switched to a grain free food.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Her coat seems fine, it's always been really shiny & soft. She's been on the Purina One Puppy since she was 6 weeks old. I have tried looking into different brands, but there are so many, I get overwhelmed! I have heard really good things about Blue Buffalo, Fromm, Innova and Canidae.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've fed Blue Buffalo and Fromm before with good results. I would switch her from the Purina though if I were you.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Try Kirkland Signature from costco. It has rice but no corn, wheat, soy, or by-products.

Diamond NATURALS is a good choice as well. Blue Buffalo is good but pricier than either of the two I listed.
We use Kirkland Signature for all our dogs and they are all in good health.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I will definitely look into those, thanks!

Also, when are you supposed to get them off puppy food and onto adult food?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkellen View Post
She had a yeast infection a few months back, but took 2 weeks worth of abx for it and cleared it up.
Are you sure it was abx?? Abx would make yeast worse. You need an anti-fungal for yeast. Yeast can also return, so I'd guess it's probably yeast again.
boscopup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.