Why my GSD died. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If I remember correctly, the Lepto vaccine can kill a dog, but it is usually immediate.

I think it depends on whether they use a killed vaccine, etc, on whether symptoms or the virus might activate in a dog. Lepto is bacterial, so I am not sure how that works. The parvo-distemper and rabies (didn't read that was given) is viral, and the vaccine injects some killed-virus so that the body will build up antibodies. Yes, dogs can develop a fever.

And with an animal that is already ill, vaccines can be very dangerous.

It is possible that the parvo-distemper booster caused an issue in your dog? Yes, I think it is. But I worry more about the coronavirus vaccine as I have heard that can cause issues too. I don't give that one because coronavirus can be dealt with if it develops. It is treatable. I have heard years ago that the vaccine caused seizures in dogs. Maybe the ironed that out, but maybe it is causing other problems now. It is really hard to say.

I am really sorry this has happened to your puppy. You did everything you should have. You worked with a vet. You kept taking him back. Could it be the vaccine? Could it be the wormer? Could it be the dog food? Could it be some insidious tick disease?

Have you considered a necropsy. I don't know if they can tell you for sure what killed your puppy but if they could figure it out, then if there is something in the environement, vaccines, wormer, or food, another puppy will not share the same fate.

Again, terribly sorry.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

msvette2u

I had seen the bitch and his sister. His sister was having similar health.
Ranger_ayp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_ayp View Post
msvette2u

I had seen the bitch and his sister. His sister was having similar health.
His sister is also declining in her health? Then there must have been something wrong - it sounds like the puppy had a heavy worm infestation.

What people forget is that worms go everywhere in the body, liver, lungs, along with the stomach.

If the puppy was that anemic at his first vet visit, the breeder either didn't deworm or there was something else going on.

I'm so very sorry about the loss of your puppy. It's very difficult when we lose our pets, but especially so young.

For the record, we avoid LEPTO and CORONA and use only "5-way" or puppy vaccines.

In the future you'll want to remember to avoid Lepto and Corona and go with only 5-way vaccines.

Deworming should be done aggressively from the time a puppy is 2weeks of age, so at 8 weeks they should have been dewormed 4x already.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

GatorBytes

No blood check or stool check was done at any point.

Vet keep on assuring me that Ranger will be alright soon.

I think its the blunder by vet.
Ranger_ayp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am very sorry this happened. Sounds to me as though you got a sick puppy and an incompetent vet.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

What a sad situation. It sounds like your puppy was already sick when you got him, but I would agree that you got very poor veterinary care. Is that typical where you are, or are there better vets available? Without any tests being done it's difficult to know how sick he was, and if it was easily treatable or not.

One thing to take away from this, not just for you, but for everyone, is how important it is to be your pet's advocate - educate yourself, ask questions, do your research. Know what injections are being given and why, know what tests can be done, and insist upon them, or at least an explanation as to why they aren't being done if the vet says they're not necessary. Vets can and do make mistakes, and they sometimes miss things.

I am so very sorry that this happened.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So very sorry for the loss of your precious little guy, may he run free at the bridge.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just wanted to express my condolences to you on Ranger's passing ... I'm so sorry this happened.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm very sorry about your puppy Such a sad situation!

India is so different to the USA or Australia - I have Indian friends and some of the stories they tell... boy oh boy it's lucky if you get decent medical treatment for humans let alone an animal
Often the medications we have access too are just not available and people are not as aware of a dogs needs as they are here.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
when I read the OP I was so angered I could not even say anything , and will leave it at that.

I am so very very sorry that this happened to you and your dog. I hope the pup is at peace.
I sooo agree with you. My blood is boiling right now and my heart is saddened too. I'd have a hard time not knocking the teeth out of the vet right now.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.