Rimadyl for short term use - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Rimadyl for short term use

The orthopedic vet at the university here sent me home with Rimadyl to help the inflammation in by dog's back. I was apprehensive about using it, but under the advisement of my regular vet, I used it for only three days and stopped.
But my regular vet also suggest I use it during agility trial weekends to keep the inflammation down.

With all of the horror stories on the internet, I fear using it at all, but is 2-3 days at a time going to hurt?(usually about once a month, two-three weekends in a row this March-but otherwise only one weekend)

Should I just toss the $50 worth of Rimadyl and get something else, or will 2-3 days in a row, once a month (also with a few months off in the summer) be okay?

Thanks!

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My oldest dog, Apache 10yrs old, is on the generic form, carpofen, for about 2 yrs now. I was very skeptical but my vet stands by the product. We don't agree on a lot of things this is one of them. His blood work is still good and you would never know he's 10.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gosh, I couldn't say.

I tossed the Rimadyl the vet sold us when Hans had the sore shoulder. Just couldn't bring myself to give it to him because his stomach is so sensitive. In our case, rest and some Arnica did the trick.

I have no idea what to advise you. There are so many factors to consider. If he didn't have a bad reaction the first time, I would think it would be OK for short term use for Mikko.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

We've given it to our fosters post-surgically for the last few yrs. and never had a problem.
Ruger gets it from time to time and has no problems with it.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I use the generic Carprofen as well. Just when Kya seems to be stiff and sore. Also when Phinneas was attacked by another dog. TJ was also on it the last 6 months or so of his life (he had arthritis and DM so it wasn't the Carprofen that got him). I have had no issues with it. Kya is 12 and her bloodwork is almost perfect. I do her bloodwork every 3-6 months now that she is up there and it has never been an issue.

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Most Dogs Do Well on Rimadyl, Except the Ones That Die

https://www.rimadyl.com/default.aspx

Important Safety Information: RIMADYL is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication available only by prescription through your veterinarian. As with other NSAID-class medications, signs of RIMADYL intolerance may include appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea, which could indicate side effects involving the digestive tract, liver or kidneys. Some of these side effects may occur without warning and, in rare situations may be serious, resulting in hospitalization or even death. If these signs occur, discontinue RIMADYL therapy and consult your veterinarian
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

there are thousands of dogs out there taking rimadyl on a regular basis without issue. I would donate to a rescue or even offer it free on here. I would not give it just because she's doing agility. My vet has said he's seen nsaids like this put a dog into kidney failure. For regular use for agility, I would go with MSM, turmeric, bromelain or something more natural like Traumeel.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Like Gatorbytes like said, it's just the ones that die.

I have a vial of rimadyl in the cabinet for when my dogs' do too much and their arthritis get aggravated. Sometimes every weekend, sometimes not. But only when there are obvious signs of pain.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dog started vomiting blood and having bloody diarrhea after 4 tablets of carprofen/rymadil. Some do very well on it, others don't. Mine luckily recovered. You can donate it to rescue if you decide not ton use it.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks, I guess I should specify my question.

I know that my dog has done well on it for short-term use in the recent past (actually really great-it was hard keeping him down when he was supposed to be on rest).

I guess my main concern is whether more frequent short term use (2-3 days/month) could equate to some of the long-term use problems.

Also, just an FYI, he had blood work done about a month and a half ago (prior to the Rimadyl use) and everything was normal.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.