Searched the site for Colitis/bloody diarrhea threads but... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
AJT

Default Searched the site for Colitis/bloody diarrhea threads but...

So long story short, took Ava out this morning around 7:30 am for her morning poop and when she squatted out came red brown liquid with a strong smell of iron. Not believing what I was seeing, I crouched down and took a good hard look at what landed on the ground --bloody liquid. Immediately I called out of work and whisked her to the vet at 9 am this morning. Of course in between I googled the symptoms (which in the worst case scenario led me to the conclusion of -- parvo!)

Told the vet what happened (after handing the vet tech a spoonful of her liquid stool) and things leading up to this morning -- on and off diarrhea (from soft formed stool to straight soft serve the past 24 hours) to dry heaving/vomiting clear liquid/yellow bile over night into this morning. Her energy is high but all night I kept taking Ava out at her request so she can poop. I have a flashlight on my phone so it was all brown soft serve until this morning's poop scare. This morning was her first refusal or really, lack of interest in food.

Vet prescribed Famotidine for her tummy and Metronidazole for inflammation of her intestines that my vet has attributed to colitis. This was after an xray was done to confirm that there was no blockage in her stomach. I've given her Famotidine earlier and she hasn't been dry heaving yet. I've been trickling water down her throat every 30 minutes or so because she hasn't gone to her water bowl at all on her own -- something she doesn't appreciate. I've waited an hour or so after to give her Metronidazole. It's hard because she hasn't eaten so I've fed her the pill with a little piece of bread.

So of course while I was at the vet I was on the forum searching high and low for threads on colitis, parvo, SIBO, etc., while I was waiting for them to do the xray. Obviously, I'm worried and am already thinking the worse and mentally preparing myself for any potential emotional anguish down the road. Having had gone through cancer with my last dog and doing all that I can, remembering the pain doesn't really make me look forward to anything. I know I should think positive but I just don't want to take a misstep and glaze over a symptom or anything that can lead to something more than just colitis. Just taking her out to poop and watching red brown liquid squirt out makes me upset (not falling apart upset just upset in a grim way).

I fed her boiled beef and rice (chicken allergy here) this morning post vet visit and before giving her Famotidine but she threw that up thus why I'm now doing slightly warmer than room temp water (a little honey is added) and a small piece of bread wrapped around the pill.

AND...on a separate issue, the vet noticed an abnormally large heart for a 9 month old female GSD (64lbs) with a heart murmur that now has graduated to a level 2.

So I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is now that I'm on the 5th or 6th paragraph but for those who have had dogs who got a sudden onset of colitis...how long does the bloody diarrhea last? Also, dogs with large hearts...any input other than the scary articles I found online? I think I'm looking for some source of comfort to quell down my freak out right now...

Or any input on how I can do things to help Ava feel better would be nice too...
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't want to scare you but did the vet mention HGE? Bloody Diarrhea - Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) in Dogs

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
AJT

Of course not! I think with most vets and doctors they start with the most "probable" which usually translates to the most "common". Reading the description does make me wonder.

I think I want to know what the cut off point is for me to bring this back up with my vet (or search for a new one) if Ava keeps going with bloody diarrhea. When should I request blood work? What kind of questions should I ask? I want to do my due diligence in regards to Ava's health. So any scenarios or possibilities, no matter how scary, is appreciated.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know if your vet ran this test but it's the one that our vet uses when Nikki has GI troubles: http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources...hea-panels.pdf

It's not cheap but when Nikki came down with bloody diarrhea earlier this year the test came back with Cryptosporidium. Hope you get it straightened out soon

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have had fecals done on dogs that came back neg yet that I seen it still in their stool, more pups then adult dogs but it happens. After your pup vacs it is unlikely parvo ( start at 6 weeks and do four, one every two weeks) , puppy vacs is the most important vacs of their whole life. Most important for sick animals with it coming out of both ends is keeping them hydrated.

Last edited by harmony; 12-05-2012 at 03:38 PM.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Apache had a bad bout with HGE last year, I don't remember what the vet gave him but he was fine in no time. I was very scared, I've seen blood in stool from strain or such, but this was globs of blood. Very scary.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
AJT

Thanks for all the immediate attention and support. Much appreciated!

Ava is sleeping now, finally. I'm taking that as a good sign. She is stretched out instead of curling in a ball.

Heidigsd and Bowow -- I'll keep HGE and the test on my list of things to bring up with my vet

Harmony -- agree with keeping them hydrated. I've been using a small turkey baster to get some liquids in her system.

Kiya -- no globs of blood here, thankfully. That sounds scary as well. Ava has been shooting red tinted light brown water. I think she went 4-5x since 7:30 am including this morning red/brown water stool. No solids. Just liquid.

Send some positive thoughts Ava's way if you have a moment!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Then hopefully it is just from her straining herself, good luck.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
AJT

I'm guessing if Ava's keeps squirting out this red brown water whenever she wants to go poop for the next 24 hours after I given her medication, I should be going back to the vet...? I don't want to head back there without giving the meds a chance to work...

Apparently a friend of mine thinks I was crazy to call out of work and spend the day taking care of my dog...
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Send some positive thoughts Ava's way if you have a moment!
Get well soon Ava

I would give the vet a call with an update to see if he wants you to bring her or a stool sample in for more testing.

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.