Searched the site for Colitis/bloody diarrhea threads but... - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #61 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Coming into this discussion late -

My dog had colitis almost all the time, any little stress would set if off. The cure? Homemade diet, graduating to dehydrated raw like The Honest Kitchen and we also feed prepared raw like the Natures's Variety. Is it expensive? Yes, but our dog has been in great health now for several months, no more worrying about waking up in the middle of the night to take her out to poop, or worse spending the day cleaning my carpet. I also forgot to mention our dog had a few bouts of giardia, which I believe causes the colitis along with all the drugs to treat it.

The enlarged heart? Not so good from my neighbor's experience. Her 2 year old Husky was diagnosed with enlarged heart and murmur when she was brought to urgent care for stomach upset. (found during routine check). The heart was enlarged due to valves being damaged. Two different vets could not agree whether it was congenital or from an illness when the dog was a puppy. The dog lived another 7 months. Enlarged heart can have a few causes and not all would result in a quick death, Hopefully this is something that can be managed with special care and medications.

Last edited by Gretchen; 12-07-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #62 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
We have a rescue and I believe your vet followed perfect protocol; in the face of non-specific bloody diarrhea, you'd treat the symptoms and give antibiotics specific to gastro (metronidazole), fluids, either IV or subcu, and that's exactly what she did.

100% agree here, it sounds like this vet did everything I would seen done in my own clinic

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Enlarged heart can have a few causes and not all would result in a quick death, Hopefully this is something that can be managed with special care and medications.
My Dachshund was just dx'ed with a murmur a few mos. ago, his heart is now enlarged and he had fluid in his lungs; he's being treated with enalapril and lasix, and you'd never know he'd been sick!
Our vet says he'll do well for years on this combo...
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #64 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm relieved to her Ava is feeling better. I thought about her last night.

Keep us updated on the cardio visit next week.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #65 (permalink)
AJT

I think in regards to the food, Ava has been on Orijen 6 Fish in the morning and Nature's Variety Instinct RAW at night. I'm pretty sold on RAW just haven't made that leap over to ordering and chopping and dicing the meat myself. Just that NV RAW is so convenient albeit pricey. You think it's the food? My mom did inform me that she chewed up a pair of my dad's work gloves that were really dirty and had looked like she swallowed a finger. But I'll keep an eye out. I really want to avoid this again...

Yes to slippery elm and activated charcoal! I've been building up my first aid kit for the dog, I just haven't gotten around to adding those items in. I have the usual stuff from vet wrap to OTC stuff to Gas X Strips. Those two items will make it in to the kit this weekend.

Regarding the discussion with vaccines...we're pretty active and come in contact with other dogs. As much as I get and believe that over vaccination can be just as detrimental to being under vaccinated, I personally can't say no if my vet presents a really good logical argument with me. Plus she has decided geese and rabbit poop are delicacies that she must have no matter how many times i say 'leave it'. I had also decided to take a month off of Frontline since the weather got significantly cooler with frost being on the ground every morning. Guess what? I found an engorged tick this morning. I'm assuming its from hiking in the back woods this past weekend. She gets Springtime Bug Off since she was young and I spray her down with Sentry Natural Defense Tick and Flea Spray before we head into the woods. I also spray a bandanna with it and tie that to her neck. So I may be putting the monthly Frontline on her again...

I think for background on the heart thing (which I will create another thread post cardiologist appointment next Wed), she had a murmur when she was a young puppy. Was hoping she grew out of it by 6 months. No such luck. Contacted the breeder, breeder said lets wait another month or two. Was planning to schedule a vet appointment soon until this week's episode. Heart murmur is now more pronounced (more like a solid 2, possible 3 based on diff vet's interpretation) and with the tummy xray capturing about 2/3 of her heart showing it is quite enlarged.

I'll be asking my vet and the cardiologist whether or not if I can even spay her. I was planning to wait until after her first heat.

It's a little depressing cause I'm so active and she loves being active and I wanted to see if she had interest in herding when she got to be a year old...obviously I'm thinking worst case scenario and that I only have limited time with her.

My first two dogs were mall bought puppies...I thought I had smarten up by going to a breeder. I don't know if I blame the breeder as much as I blame myself for not doing even more research.
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #66 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hopefully the heart issues won't cause problems for Ava. My friend had a lab mix who has diagnosed with a heart murmur that progressed to a grade 4 when he was about 5 years old. She took him to a cardiologist and was given a very poor prognosis. She still walked him, took him hiking, etc. She took him back for a check-up 6 months or a year later (can't remember) and his murmur had decreased! He lived to be a ripe old aged and died of something else.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.