Just dropped Gunner off at the vet - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #51 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
penaten is not the same penaten since johnson and johnson bought it . less % zinc.

I would not use this anyway on the lip.
*sigh* It never fails that I buy something a dozen people recommend and THEN I hear the bad.

There's another thread that was a few years old about Lip Fold Pyoderma and this product was highly recommended. So why can't it be used on the lip?
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
He's currently on a hypoallergenic food. After his bad tummy issues last spring we leaned towards a food allergy.
He's been on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Moderate Calorie kibble and he's doing great on it. We've had no tummy issues since and it's been nearly 7 months now.

So what is Zymox and where do you get it? Is it just to treat an infection or is it something you use to clean the ears?
Linda, have you considered doing a home cooked diet for Gunner? Weve had awful allergy problems with Jake for months and on the advice of our dog behaviorist we did a consult with a canine nutritionist and Jake has now been switched to a home cooked diet. Within a few days there has been a dramatic improvement in his scratching much improved. Not to mention hes calmer and hes only been on the new diet for 4 days. Jake was having chronic ear infections because he was scratching all the time and reintroducing infection. Im sure now that the scratching is subsiding and hopefully stop, the ear infections will go away too.

It would have cost me $150 a month to feed the Hypoallergenic food from the vet when Ive never felt comfortable feeding commercial dog food to begin with. Right now until I source cheaper sources for meat, it will cost me a little more than $150 a month to feed Jake, but as I stock up on meat on sale, the cost will be reduced. And there is a bit of an upfront cost to get the supplements, but 4 out of the 6 supplements I need to get will last a minimum of 6 months. The other two Ill have to buy more frequently or buy in bulk to save a few bucks and in turn get free shipping. The good thing is once I get this all figured out, I will have a much better understanding of what is going into his body and where it comes from.

Just a suggestion. The improvements weve seen in just a few days have blown our mind. Its hard to believe that the digestive issues, allergies, hyper activity, fearful and anxious, etc were related to what he was eating. I could PM you the info for the canine nutritionist we used she is actually located in the US.

I will have to take the time each week to prepare his meals, but if Jake will be feeling better and we can reduce vet costs, Im more than happy to do it.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

here is the info on Penaten
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 11:26:52 -0800 (PST)
This product originated in Germany, and was made in Germany; excellent
product; the Active ingredient of Zinc Oxide was 22%; it is written on
the made in Germany tin.
The new tin of Penaten I purchased is made by Johnson & Johnson Inc
and is made in France; the Active ingredient of Zinc Oxide is reduced
from 22% to 18%.

The tins look the same, but the product is not the same and perhaps
not that good.
Did Johnson & Johnson Inc buy the German manufacturer and changed the
Active ingredient of Zinc Oxide or was that changed before?"

my parents used Penaten on all of us , and I on my kids , and then when it came to the grandkids and the product not being as good , read the label and saw , in tiny print , the difference in the zinc levels , which they never indicated in a more obvious way , which you are supposed to when a formula is changed, especially when it is the active ingredient.

Why not for pyroderma ? Because Vetrycyn is better in that it offers anti bacterial properties and promotes quick healing. I would spritz the solution during the day and use their gel formula for the evening. It stays on nicely.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #54 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
here is the info on Penaten
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 11:26:52 -0800 (PST)
This product originated in Germany, and was made in Germany; excellent
product; the Active ingredient of Zinc Oxide was 22%; it is written on
the made in Germany tin.
The new tin of Penaten I purchased is made by Johnson & Johnson Inc
and is made in France; the Active ingredient of Zinc Oxide is reduced
from 22% to 18%.

The tins look the same, but the product is not the same and perhaps
not that good.
Did Johnson & Johnson Inc buy the German manufacturer and changed the
Active ingredient of Zinc Oxide or was that changed before?"

my parents used Penaten on all of us , and I on my kids , and then when it came to the grandkids and the product not being as good , read the label and saw , in tiny print , the difference in the zinc levels , which they never indicated in a more obvious way , which you are supposed to when a formula is changed, especially when it is the active ingredient.

Why not for pyroderma ? Because Vetrycyn is better in that it offers anti bacterial properties and promotes quick healing. I would spritz the solution during the day and use their gel formula for the evening. It stays on nicely.
Thanks for the info. I wonder why a 4% decrease in the Zinc Oxide makes the product "not that good"?
I understand the thinking there, but it should still work but maybe just not as fast.
Ehh, this stuff makes my head spin.
I'll look into getting the Vetericyn for the future. I have the eye wash already.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
Crowned Member

penaten is pretty much a barrier cream , the zinc oxide was the healing ingredient. We questioned it because the baby bottoms were not as protected . You can buy zinc oxide , used in sunblock formulations , as an oclusive "block".
also - thinking has changed in allowing a wound to have air exposure , bandages breath now and that speeds healing .

Last edited by carmspack; 12-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.