Sedate for OFA? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

No it is not fun.....and when you are restraining the dog you want as little exposure as possible......messing around with a dog who doesn't want to sit still and exposing everyone to more radiation because you can't get good shots is not fun either.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Best to "relax" them a bit. Smaller dogs are usually fairly easy to lay them on their back and stretch back legs, but not so much big dogs.
It is probablyl a reversable injection: give the injection, get the xrays, then give them the reversal and the dog is up and walking within a few minutes.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

I was just wondering because I have heard from others that being fully under gives a poorer reading because the muscles are completely slack?
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
Best to "relax" them a bit. Smaller dogs are usually fairly easy to lay them on their back and stretch back legs, but not so much big dogs.
It is probablyl a reversable injection: give the injection, get the xrays, then give them the reversal and the dog is up and walking within a few minutes.
This is what we do.

If our dogs need X-raying, they are sometimes uncomfortable with strangers trying to position them properly.
The reversible injection helps everyone...the vet, dog, and me.

The vet can do what he needs to do quickly and accurately, the dogs are relaxed, and I feel better knowing the dog is comfortable.

We've never had a problem after doing it this way and the films are always clear.

Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

The vets I use sedate with Ace so the dog is conscious. One large mutt at 5 years old with hips not submitted would probably have gone OFA Fair. Nikon was OFA Good (and nice prelims) and Pan SV A1-Normal (with nice prelims).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

I have 2 Shepherds (m/f) and my friend has one (f).

We brought them to this AMAZING vet clinic in Alaska, because we did not want to sedate them unnecessarily. I know my dogs will hold any position I place them into, so I didn't want to sedate them at all.

We did hip prelims on all three dogs no sedation (all came back "Good") and then a year later (same clinic) we did the girls final OFA's again no sedation (Never had to take more than one shot of anything). My female had Hips, Elbows, Heart and Thyroid done and my friends female had Hips and Elbows done. My female came back hips "Good", Elbows "Normal", Heart "Normal", Thyroid "Normal". And my friends female came back Hips "Good" and Elbows "ED1"... When my males prelims were shot (1 shot), the vet gave a little laugh. I totally thought something was wrong! Nope, he said it was the best positioning he had gotten out of any dog awake or asleep!

So I really think it is not necessary to sedate if YOU know your dog will be accepting. I also place my dogs front end, then switch with the tech and leave the room. Then I watch from the window as the vet pulls the legs out straight and takes the shot. Same with elbows, I place the dog where they need it, trade with the tech, then leave the room until the shot is done.

For the heart, I just layed my dog on her side and told her to wait. And for her Thyroid, that was just a blood draw from the jugular vein, so I layed her on the edge of a table, lifted her nose up and told her to wait. Then I just held her while they took blood.

If it were me, I would go with the vet that will at least try with no sedation. Prep your dog by conditioning your dog to be PUT (not go on his own, you flip him like a little cow, GENTLY) on his side, then holding his biceps on the front, gently roll him to his back. This is a very vulnerable position for a dog, so it may take time for your pup to realize that nothing bad will happen in this position. Make sure you are patient and take your time. Once your dog is good on the floor, find a steady table and do it all over again.

If you don't have time before the appointment to get this conditioning done, I would give it ONE try, don't stress your dog out. Go with the light sedation, whatever the vet is comfortable with, and allows the vet to get the best shot.

Good luck!
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We will Do full Sedation when the time comes for Ruger's OFAs. He hates vets as it is. There is no way I am going to ask him to allow the vet to put him in compromising positions while he is awake.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm not sure if my vets try no sedation or not. When I do x-rays I drop my dog off in the morning and pick him up on my way home from work, so I'm not there to help. I'd prefer the dog be sedated (not unconscious) in this case and I always ask the vet if the dog gave him trouble but they've always been compliant.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.