Allergies or what? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Allergies or what?

Hi all- first time posting here. I have been reading for sometime...

My 9 mo old pup, Niko has had skin issues for 4 months or so. When He started biting on the areas of his groin and arm pits, we took him into the vet. She said it was environmental allergies. She said testing was expensive and he could go on steroids but we do not want to do that.
She ruled out food as that did not change (He eats salmon Domain from Costco, his coat is nice and soft as a result). She gave us special shampoo and cream conditioner but that has made no difference. He takes Benydryl everyday.
I have also been giving Niko virgin organic coconut oil. I add organic ACV to his water. I have bought hot spot sprays but he immediately licks it off. We've put anti-itch cream on him with the E-collar, but as as soon as collar is off, he's right back on it, now making the areas bleed. His skin is now black with lots of redness. My pictures don't show up...

Anyone have any advice on what has worked for your own pups who have chronic allergies? I have read about Vetericyn here, does it work for allergies? I'm willing to try anything that will work.

I feel terrible for my happy, beautiful boy and just want this to get better. Thanks much!
Robin
Niko831 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

What I do is give her omega pills. I give her a breakfast kong full of her food yogurt and a little peanut butter. I upped the Benadryl to Claritin and everything I take her where there is soil or grass I rinse her feet off with water. If there is a flare up every time she goes out I rinse her feet in the bath tub with medicated shampoo. Her flare up is in her feet but rinse whatever area is the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also I have switched her food to vegetarian food and I have learned that every time she gets wet or dirty I give her a bath because she is so sensitive. I only give her the Claritin when she goes out to grassed areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Allananddaisy

Hi....my dog also has the same symptoms which were later diagnosed as a low thyroid. Is has now progressed to an auto immune problem that is not curable but has treatment that help control the symptoms.
You can reach me at allan6715@hotmail.com if you would like more info on how we figured this all out. I can send you links to the websites I found while doing my research on the net.
Allananddaisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is most likely an endocrine problem and is likely related to vaccines. Did your pup get at around 4-5months?

Also...is he on flea and heartworm prevention? Spot-on?

The endocrine system is responsible for regulating hormones, when there is an upset in the balance, yeasts and other microbes take over as the immune system is gone awry dealing with the other invading pathogens in vaccines as well as pesticides....a dog's immune system does not reach full maturity until 6 months (min.). Pesticides are not medicine as it apprears to be presented (heartworm/flea/tick) and should only be used on a case by case basis in high outbreak area and only if temps have stayed above 56F for two consecutive weeks day and night - that is the only way for heartworm to reproduce....once that happens you can dose AFTER the fact...the best way to prevent HW is prevent mosquito bites - there are safe, natural pre-mix's at health food stores for this (some are not safe for cats).

In order to prevent a full system melt-down (leading to auto-immune disorder), you are going to have to detox the yeast (carb free diet - NO sugars - potato, peas, anything and NO food w/tapioca as the binder). Steroids will further supress the immune system - this can lead to cushings disease.

Keep up w/the coconut oil (1tsp. per 10lbs of body weight), RAW diet w/some anti-ox green leafy veg juiced and vit. C. There is homeopathic detox for the heavy metals in vaccines too as well as milk thistle to detox the liver of pesticides. Dandelion to assist the detox and flush the kidney's
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, he does take flea med, Frontline. No heartworm or tick. We are thinking of stopping the Frontline as we are on the coast and rarely see mosquitos or fleas.

Yes, he had puppy shots.

Allan, let me look up low thyroid. Sasha, I will look into omega.
Niko831 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.