Masticatory myopathy/myositis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Masticatory myopathy/myositis

My white GSD is broken. He has sunken head disease. Actually we are thinking Masticatory myopathy. Dogs have eating muscles at their jaw (masseter) AND on the top of their head. (temporalis). He has some sort of muscle wasting disease but Masticatory myopathy makes both sets of muscles waste away to the point the dog cannot eat. He is only three years old. Treatment is massive doses of prednisone and because it is an auto immune mediated disease it is forever.

We are awaiting the 2M test results. If it comes back negative, they will be wanting to do a series of tests I frankly cannot afford. I was a vet tech for an emergency clinic and had never heard of this.

I was recommended to this forum to see if there are other people who have dealt with this disease and share their experiences.

Here's Nick
Pat4dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome Pat.

I wish you were here for happier reasons but if you're going to find some GSD help on the net....this is the best place.

Keeping you and sweet Nick in my thoughts, wish I knew more about this disorder and could help...

(((HUGS)))
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Welcome - hope some of these threads help:

Laser therapy for masticatory myositis
Masticatory muscle myositis
Masticular Myositis
Olina has Lyme Disease and ????
Jaw Pain (long) ( 1 2)
Masticatory Myositis

Tetanus symptoms ( 1 2 3)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

See....this site rocks, I had never heard of this diease before Pat told me about.

(tks Jean)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat4dogs View Post
My white GSD is broken. He has sunken head disease. Actually we are thinking Masticatory myopathy. Dogs have eating muscles at their jaw (masseter) AND on the top of their head. (temporalis). He has some sort of muscle wasting disease but Masticatory myopathy makes both sets of muscles waste away to the point the dog cannot eat. He is only three years old. Treatment is massive doses of prednisone and because it is an auto immune mediated disease it is forever.

We are awaiting the 2M test results. If it comes back negative, they will be wanting to do a series of tests I frankly cannot afford. I was a vet tech for an emergency clinic and had never heard of this.

I was recommended to this forum to see if there are other people who have dealt with this disease and share their experiences.

Here's Nick
I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful Nick, I hope you can find some help for him.

My Yukon had polymyositis which affected all his muscles, not just the head muscles so I'm not sure if my input will be helpful to you or not.

This happened back in 1997/1998 so I'm not sure what progress science has made since then. Back then it took a long time to diagnose ... it was done by a process of elimination and finally my vet sent his records to a vet who was doing a study of muscle wasting diseases at the University of California, Davis, and she made the final diagnosis.

With Yukon it took a long time to diagnose and at that time they couldn't treat it, just keep him comfortable ... the only med that I remember them giving him was Pred, but I know there were others including several to coat his stomach. Of course the Pred made him pee buckets and because of the muscle wasting he was unable to hold himself so it was difficult keeping him clean.

As I said, Yukon's affected all his muscles. When it started affecting his esophagus it resulted in aquired megaesophagus which in turn resulted in bouts of aspiration pneumonia which got progrressively worse and more difficult to treat. When he got to the point where he was no longer enjoying life I was forced to make that most difficult decision any pet owner must make and I had him put down.

I found this link ... don't know if it will be of any help or not ... I can't find a date so it may even be outdated:
http://vetneuro.com/Portals/124/Form...0Myopthies.pdf

Best wishes and good luck to you and Nick!!!

Mansha's White Russian - Yukon
March 13, 1988 - August 22,1998
This is the only picture I have of Yukon on my computer. A friend of mine was watching him for me and was giving a dinner party for her SAR group when one of the members talked Yukon up onto the table. He remained there, as the centerpiece, throughout their meal, only getting down to join them when they retired to the living room for coffee.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

all i can say is what a beautiful wgsd. i hope you can find the help you need.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would suggest medicinal mushroom extracts as part of the treatment. I have used them in the past with very impressive results, take them myself, and have a close friend that has cancer that takes them. I've gotten mine from Aloha Medicinals Inc. | Organic Medicinal Mushroom Health Products
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here is an article...this is not to say you should do all these things. It is however to consider there IS other things that need to be done, some basic, some herbal.

This addresses Neuromuscular/immune disorders...not specifically your issue. Despite a syndrome being named in your dog, there is a similarity in all immune and neuro disorders.

What this addresses is B-12 (specifically methylcobalamin - not "cyano" -- this is artifical and contains coal tar - which is what is found in kibble)
Vt. D
Magnesium - for smooth muscle contraction, neuro function and 300 other processes in the body

Detoxing heavy metals and pesticides (this is likely what the immune system is attacking or is stimulating the activity) like mercury (in rabies vax.), aluminum (in other vax.)

There are herbals, collodial silver (for bacteria). RAw food has the enzymes and all essential amino acids which are the building blocks of protein and building muscle.

Lots to read through (incl. links inside the link)...you will need to enlist a good holistic vet, as I didn't go through all....just to give you hope as a lot of these things listed are safe - just not sure about all noted
Natural Remedies for Myasthenia Gravis

Also, not sure if it would be helpful, but makes sense to consider, an enzyme called serratiopeptidase (called other shorter names)...this is an anti-inflamm enzyme that is touted to break up scar tissue, cysts as well as other properties w/o damaging the physical muscle.

I used a brand that had 17,500 UI for my dog and was using wobenzyme (also a consideration)...he had a bulge protruding from his carpel joint...it's gone now, he had it for about a year...I am not sure if it was the serro, or the wobby's...seemed to coincide w/the serro though I only used one bottle before going back to wobenzyme.

Google both (the serro product was called "Infla-Heal Plus" by New Roots

The serro comes in different units of measurement, like 80,000IU's which I believe is 50mg , but don't quote me.

NO MORE vaccines either - this is hugely important re: detox.
Milk thistle for the liver too
Vit C is also a heavy metal chelator

Good luck, I will forward anything else I happen across
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the kind words, links and advice. Yukon was gorgeous. It must have been painful to watch him deteriorate. I have looked at the links and want to delve into a few more of them, especially the alternative treatments. Because no matter what this is, it will be chronic. And I want to thank Gwen for sharing this site with me. Since I was a vet tech at one point, perhaps I can give advice as well as receive it. Thanks again for everyone being so kind.

I do have a good holistic vet who doesn't frown on allopathic medicine, so I can usually get a balanced treatment. Looks like I have a great deal of research to do.

Last edited by Pat4dogs; 12-02-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Pat4dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

One other thing - perhaps stem cell treatment, it has been used to reverse paralysis and help HD and DM (?). My old vet I used yrs ago for my cat has a clinic now who does this. There was an article and I cannot remember the specifics, but the stem sell was done for HD, but the dog had other chronic issues with eyes and skin and this cleared up too.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.