throwing up after eating or drinking - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Yes. But you said it was a cause of ME in dogs. That link you posted says a possible link in CATS not dogs. They are not the same.

I cannot find anything that differentiates lead as the cause in cats, not dogs. Can you ref this...what heading is it under and please copy, b/c I am not seeing what you are saying (maybe too tired)

Endocrine testing(thyroxine [T
] level, thyroid-stimulating hormone [TSH]assay, adrenocorticotropichormone [ACTH] stimula-tion); neuromuscular evalua-tion (acetylcholine antibody,antinuclear antibodies [ANA],muscle biopsy, creatininephosphokinase [CPK]); andtoxin screening (lead, botu-linum) are done to identify the more common secondary causes. The diagnosis, howev-er, is often idiopathic mega-esophagus
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you look at the chart in the box in yellow, on the third page, (the one you referenced as a quick link without having to read the whole article to Cassidy's Mom) there is an asterik after the lead toxicity which reads at the bottom *diagnosed in cats. The article references BOTH canine and feline.

I tried copying and pasting but it was GIANT, and I don't know how to fix that.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RocketDog; 12-04-2012 at 01:14 AM.
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Getting back on topic (AHEM!)...I would take her into the vet for a check-up. I have known dogs that have developed Mega-E as adults and, as others have said, she could also have some sort of partial obstruction. Regurgitating, especially when it's something that's new, is definitely not normal.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry.

I just think that if people are going to post links for others, those links SHOULD be factual and on topic. People that are concerned and in a state of worry often do not read the fine print, and they may be lead off-topic, as you suggest.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
If you look at the chart in the box in yellow, on the third page, (the one you referenced as a quick link without having to read the whole article to Cassidy's Mom) there is an asterik after the lead toxicity which reads at the bottom *diagnosed in cats.
(I cannot believe your eyes, I could barely make out that little marker - time for an eye test)

Ref # 28 (right next to lead poisoning)

28.Zook BC: The pathologic anatomy of lead poisoning in dogs.
Vet Pathol
9:310

327, 1972.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 12-04-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

But that's not from the link you posted, because the asterik is FOR CATS.

Sigh.

And this is, as bowwow suggested subtly, really unlikely. Lead is not in that great of concentration anymore. It's far more likely that it's something else, and even if it IS megaE, it's not likely, even by the link you posted, that it's caused by lead.

Good grief.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
But that's not from the link you posted, because the asterik is FOR CATS.

Sigh.

And this is, as bowwow suggested subtly, really unlikely. Lead is not in that great of concentration anymore. It's far more likely that it's something else, and even if it IS megaE, it's not likely, even by the link you posted, that it's caused by lead.

Good grief.
What?
The ref # is right next to lead poisoning...scroll down to articles this cites and it specifically states dogs.

And it was a general comment, and quite possible, and a good heads up for people as dogs/pups chew on anything.
Public service done

Bolded - so, now you know better? So I am to assume, you were trying to demean my comment, you were wrong and now you're snarky....nice.

How about saying oops, I stand corrected...heavy sigh
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The reference just means they used that manual in the article about felines and canines. In a book about dogs, they may well use the fact that in cats, lead has been proven as a secondary cause of megaE. It does not, by itself, taken in context of this article, indicate that it is a proven secondary cause of megaE in dogs.

I do not stand corrected. I also didn't BOLD the comment. I italicized it, regarding that particular article. You did not reference the book that credit was given to for the link in cats. The article did. Capiche?

Last edited by RocketDog; 12-04-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kaisers activity level and behavior are normal aside from sporadic throwing up. He does get bully sticks, but I haven't given him 1 in a few weeks because the last 1 he had upset his stomach. Like I said this is really a sporadic saying. He threw up a little bit yesterday but it was after playing with Dakota and drinking. Prior to that, I think it's been a few days since he threw up a little bit of food. I mean I would totally expect him to throw a little bit up if he ate or drank just prior to or just after exercising. My concern is that sometimes that isn't the case.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
Kaisers activity level and behavior are normal aside from sporadic throwing up. He does get bully sticks, but I haven't given him 1 in a few weeks because the last 1 he had upset his stomach. Like I said this is really a sporadic saying. He threw up a little bit yesterday but it was after playing with Dakota and drinking. Prior to that, I think it's been a few days since he threw up a little bit of food. I mean I would totally expect him to throw a little bit up if he ate or drank just prior to or just after exercising. My concern is that sometimes that isn't the case.
I'd call and talk to your breeder to give them a heads up and maybe get some info from them.

Be aware, if it IS megaesophagus and your dog is young, healthy and fit, then chances are your dog will lead a healthy normal life like the 2 mega dogs I have raised. Heck, Glory B just made it up to the Master level in AKC agility, does she look like she's sick or suffering to you???

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.