Hair Loss/Allergies? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hair Loss/Allergies?

Leo is 1.5 years old, he's been on a raw diet for 9 months now.

He was extremely picky with kibble, and barely ate. We then switched to raw so he would eat, and we felt it was better for our dog. He loves it, and usually eats everything.

Unfortunately he has developed these skin irritations, dry skin and hair loss in certain areas. Some of these areas are the tips of his ears, random small places on his belly, his right hind leg and a dry nose. He also itches constantly, and bites and scratches at some of these spots.

We've limited him to 1-2 meats at a time, and haven't really noticed a progress in hair growth. He is fed two times a day, breakfast and dinner. He's been eating chicken and beef for a few weeks now, supplementing with fish oil and vitamin e. We also add tripe a couple times a week.

It's very frustrating because we've taken him to our vet (who also deals with many other GSDs, as well as some GSDs from our breeder) and he can't seem to find anything. He suggests that allergies may be the issue.

We're running out of ideas and it has been an ongoing issue now for at least 6 months.

Could it be too dry in the apartment?
Attached Thumbnails
Hair Loss/Allergies?-imag0530.jpg   Hair Loss/Allergies?-imag0531.jpg   Hair Loss/Allergies?-imag0533.jpg  
Minoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

you could try a humidifier if you think it is too dry. i would suspect allergies. with all the chemicals we have in our homes from fabrics to carpet to the chemicals we use to prevent fleas and ticks. it is almost impossible to isolate. has your vet tried treating the symptoms?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What ratio's are you feeding? Is there RMB's in this, offal's?

I'm wondering if there is a zinc/copper imbalance.

What treats, last vaccination and flea/heartworm prevention? Could be an auto-immune reaction to rabies vax and demondex mange is taking over...ear tips common for sarcoptic mange which would be from contact w/infected animal...does he go to dog parks/daycare?

Although more of an issue w/dogs heading to middle age, possible there is a thyroid problem. Do you add kelp?...

what brand of fish oil?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Our ratios are approximately: MM 50%, RMB 45%, OM 3-5%.

In the past we've fed duck (necks, carcass), chicken (leg quarters, necks, whole, breasts, thighs), turkey (necks, ground turkey), beef (ground), pork (neck, loin), elk (ground), whiting fish (whole), tripe, sardines (in water only), and sometimes coconut oil and an egg. Right now we are currently only feeding ground beef and various forms of bone in chicken. We supplement with Grizzly Salmon oil and vitamin e. He is also given OM, which we need to add a little more of for a balanced diet.

As far as treats, we give him peanut butter, and very occasionally (every 2-3 weeks) he has a little Royal Canin kibble and Blue Buffalo bites.

Last vaccinations on 8/25/12:
Rabies
Booster
Bordetella Intra Nasal Booster

He doesn't go to dog parks or the daycare. He has play dates with 4-5 different dogs, and occasionally meets and plays with new dogs if they're friendly.

We don't add kelp, should we?
Minoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wow, sounds like a great diet!

What about spot-on/oral heartworm/flea/tick prevention?

If using, that would have started around June - about 6 months ago (?).

When did the hair loss start? Did you notice increased dryness and hairloss before or after vaccination?

Was this the first rabies?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would try some Vetericyn on those spots, if the vet has cleared him of mange.

Some dogs are allergic to beef or chicken. I had to stop feeding chicken because of runny eyes and eye goo.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 12-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

He sounds like my dog, ears look similar too. I really believe that the hair loss on the ears is due to trauma from scratching. I know another GSD with ears that look like that, I am also convinced with that dog it is caused by damage to the ear from scratching. Is he on a therapeutic dose of fish oil? I give around 6000mg per day, helps a bit. I have also found that mine likely has food and environmental allergies. Right now I am only feeding lamb, elk and some dehydrated fish (honest kitchen) All of these things help a little bit, but like you I am still looking for "the miracle cure."

I am also very suspicious that my dog's allergies were caused in part by vaccines, when I looked at his medical history I realized that our first trip to the vet for scratching occured 9 days after his second set of vaccines....

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Should note too, Peanut Butter. Is it natural or organic? Looking at a jar of Kraft and it contains corn dextrin and hydrogenated vegetable oil (non specific and the chemical altering - like margarine which is bad for dogs) AND soybean oil - these would also be GMO.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Something else for you to try:

Just received my new shipment of Feedsentials and a question for Carmen re staph

I truly believe that an all meat diet needs to be supplemented with other whole foods that complete the nutrition requirements.
If that were not the case, there would not be so many of us who see a real difference when the dogs are fed these products.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Forgot to mention, I have also had success with Earthbath anti itch spray and EQYSS Micro-tek spray.

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.