Hair Loss/Allergies? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

It doesn't seem like Discouid Lupus. His nose is more dry on the top than anywhere else, and has full pigmentation everywhere except for the most dry area (grayish color).

He sometimes refuses to eat, like last night. His skin also seems more irritated from itching, instead of sores and blisters, so it doesn't sound like Pemphigus.
Minoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Leo's nose has gotten better, as we've been using the Snout Soother 3 times a day for the past two weeks. We've also been using Vetericyn for this time period.

However, his hair loss is still very bad, if not worse in some areas.

Please see the attached pics. It's upsetting seeing him like this, and not knowing what the cause is. My girlfriend thinks it's a food allergy. I don't think it is, seeing as he has been eating chicken and beef for quite some time now (~9 months), and he has never looked this bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Hair Loss/Allergies?-4.jpg   Hair Loss/Allergies?-5.jpg   Hair Loss/Allergies?-1.jpg   Hair Loss/Allergies?-2.jpg   Hair Loss/Allergies?-3.jpg  

Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Regarding the ear tips, is the skin flaky? Has it always been that way or since you changed the dog's diet. Tosca would loose hair on the tips of her ears after being on a diet that consisted of fish. The diet was changed and no more problems with hair loss or flakey tips.

I highly recommend your taking your dog in and having her tested for allergies. If you don't, you will be going round and round trying figure it out. It's not worth the frustration to not do it. Your dog could be allergic to many things such as food, mold, grass, weeds and trees.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter

Last edited by DHau; 12-18-2012 at 04:10 PM.
DHau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #24 (permalink)

His ears have been flaky before, but they weren't as raw as they are now. Right now they are more raw and red.

We've been only feeding chicken and beef for the past month or so, trying to find the cause. It has gotten worse over this time as well.

Is the allergy testing accurate? I remember hearing from others that it was pretty expensive and not very accurate.

My girlfriend wants to switch to Nature's Variety Instinct kibble in 3-4 weeks when his food runs out.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am thinking possible zinc deficiency or an imbalance of zinc/copper

Zinc ThePossibleCanine

The thing w/zinc is it is usually abundant in raw food especially baby calf's liver, however it is also easily deficient at times of illness, season changes, stress, pesticides/toxins, immune suppression from vaccination and so on.

Zinc is very importance for immune function but NOT a lot is needed, but some might be to get back in balance...it is also related to skin sores, hair loss and inabilty to heal....

look at the food you are giving in weights (oz.'s) and go to nutritional data.com and see if what you are feeding may not have the right ratio's.

Copper def. is rare and is found in meat, fish and liver
Zinc is also found in the same, as well as eggs, pumpkin seeds.

I think the link says zinc to copper 10:1 ratio
If you suppliment zinc - use a natural form or amino acid chelete form - low dose so you can regulate it (15mg.) then you cna do 30 - if you buy 50mg, may be too much.

I only suggest this as you are doing RAW, for anybody else, if on a kibble diet you have NO WAY of knowing how much is in pre-mix and sprayed on, blood work may help, but different batches of food can provide different values.

Supplimenting with a zinc/copper all in one may prove to help if you think the ratio's in RAW food is fine
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoli View Post
Leo's nose has gotten better, as we've been using the Snout Soother 3 times a day for the past two weeks. We've also been using Vetericyn for this time period.

However, his hair loss is still very bad, if not worse in some areas.

Please see the attached pics. It's upsetting seeing him like this, and not knowing what the cause is. My girlfriend thinks it's a food allergy. I don't think it is, seeing as he has been eating chicken and beef for quite some time now (~9 months), and he has never looked this bad.
Those places REALLY look like sarcoptic mange. Exact same locations.

Sarcoptic Mange
Read through this and look at the pattern of hair loss.

Is your dog back on revolution?
Did you do the ear pinna test?
Sarcoptic mange is intensely itchy, btw.

msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

sarcoticmites

A SIMPLE WAY TO PRESUME THE DIAGNOSIS OF SCABIES IN DOGS
In over 95% of dogs with Sarcoptic Mite infestation (Scabies) a simple test can suggest that these mites are present. It is called the Pedal-Pinna Reflex Test. Since almost all dogs with Scabies mites will have mites along the ear flap (called the Pinna) margins, as displayed in some of the photos below, the dog will reflexively use a back leg in a scratching motion if the Pinna is scratched gently by a person testing this reflex. Simply take the Pinna between your thumb and forefinger and vigorously scratch the surface of the underside of the Pinna with the forefinger. Dogs with no mites seldom work the back leg in a scratching motion. Dogs with sarcoptic mites almost always will demonstrate an involuntary scratching motion with the back leg while you are scratching the Pinna.

Also----And here’s another problem... sarcoptic mites are very elusive. Ordinarily, skin scrapings are utilized to pick up mites from the skin, a few drops of solution is applied to the scraping and the substance is examined under the microscope for the presence of mites. Cheyletiella are easy to find, Demodex are easy to find, ear mites are easy to find... scabies mites seldom are found. Take as many scrapings as you like, even go deep into the skin, and the odds are that you still will not find the scabies mites. This has led many an unwary veterinarian down the road to misdiagnosis. After all, if no mites are found on this itchy, inflamed pet with hair loss and skin sores, it must be an allergic dermatitis, right?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The dog was on revolution, the problem has existed for 6 months, the revolution would have prevented and/or treated during this time.

It is not common for dogs to catch mange unless they are rolling around in shelters w/mangey dogs or in contact with said dogs at dog park.

Urban dogs are not that suseptible to mange.

I would look at nutritional defeciencies first and strengthening the immune system before dumping pesticide in the blood for mange that most likely is not present. This will exacerbate the immune system further and in fact may have been the cause (revolution)

There is also the possibility of aluminum in the tissues - MMF
Macrophagic myofasciitis lesions assess long-term persistence of vaccine-derived aluminium hydroxide in muscle

Chelating this - I think vit. C helps remove aluminum - aluminum can go to the brain and is transorted via lymph system
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #29 (permalink)

My GSD gets itchy, crusty eartips every fall. She's 3 now, so I've had a few years to figure out that there was a "cycle" to her itchiness. At first I freaked out and thought "sarcoptic mange?!!" It wasn't. Sarcoptic mange is EXTREMELY contagious and none of her playmates had symptoms. In addition, she had two skin scrapings and both turned out negative. I am not confident I have this 100% figured out yet...but I think I'm narrowing it down.
I am guessing she has an allergy to a common fall allergen (dust or Ragweed) and/or a Zinc Deficiency. Turns out her Dad gets crusty eartips, and they started giving him Zinc supplements and it cleared up. Zinc deficiency isn't limited to Malamutes and huskies...

"Malamutes and huskies have a difficult time absorbing zinc, and if they are stressed or fed a diet high in plant sources or high in calcium they may develop this condition. The usual symptoms are hair loss, and scaling and crusting of the skin around the face, head, and legs. Lesions often encircle the mouth, chin, eyes, and ears. The foot pads may be scaly and the haircoat is dull and dry. Puppies fed a deficient diet may also show these symptoms but may also be lethargic, anorexic, and be prone to secondary infections. Diagnosis is usually made by history, physical exam, and response to zinc supplementation. Treatment with a zinc supplement usually resolves these symptoms within several weeks."

Zinc Requirements & Deficiencies in Dogs

PROVET HEALTHCARE INFORMATION - Zinc in Skin Disease

Last edited by WitsEnd2013; 12-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.
WitsEnd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

My rescued GSD had horrible scratching this past summer and dandruff that was awful. Knowing that he spent his life (10 years or so) on a chain, I knew that he needed some time to recover from this. His ear tips are physically gone and, while we suspect that this is from fly strike, we can't be certain.

I took him to my vet and the symptoms were consistent with environmental allergies rather than food allergies. We started him on Hydroxyzine and Prednisone and the itching/scratching and hair loss stopped immediately. Over time, I stopped all of the Prednisone and just kept him on the Hydroxyzine. A few months ago, I added a zinc supplement to his diet and his skin improved noticeably. He barely has any dandruff now and his coat has come in black and shiny. When I pulled him from the shelter, it was dirty, dead and sun-bleached.

Now that winter has come and we have had several good cold days in the single digits, I am going to try to reduce the antihistamine (Hydroxyzine) even further. My goal is to get him off of it for the winter, but I do suspect that he will go back on it when the weather gets warm again. With the life that he has lived already, just having him comfortable is of the most importance to me.

The combination of antihistamine and zinc has made a difference in the life of my senior boy.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.