Malnourished puppy - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #81 (permalink)

keep all your vet documentation, I 'believe" in some states pet stores are responsible for paying vet bills for so many hours/days after purchase.

If the puppy has giardia, well that could be something THEY will have to pay treatment for..

Did you contact your local AC yet??

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #82 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Yes, but that is still twice the size of OPs puppy, and your dog actually looks like a german shepherd and came from what was supposed to be a reputable breeder, as opposed to a petstore where who knows what she was sold breed wise since they come from mass breeding facilities.
Oh yes I agree. I don't think ops dog is GSD. I think it's a yorkie/chi mix or something like that. I was jut pointing out my dog was very small but also clearly ill and under weight. Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
keep all your vet documentation, I 'believe" in some states pet stores are responsible for paying vet bills for so many hours/days after purchase.

If the puppy has giardia, well that could be something THEY will have to pay treatment for..

Did you contact your local AC yet??
I did contact them and they said they do random inspections there and the only problem they had with them was they were changing puppies food right when they came in and was giving puppies diarrhea but the vet said that was normal. So I to.d them about my puppy and he said that is a civil matter and to file a complaint with BBB, which I did. So they weren't very helpful I told them I was concerned about the welfare of the other animals that were in there, and he said they inspect so that was I could do was tell them. She went to the vet today and has gained 1 pound in 4 days so that is good she is putting on weight and she has to see a surgeon about her leg on Monday and see if there is something wrong with her growth plates or put a stint on her cuz she can't really walk on the one. I asked my vet about what she thought about her not being GSD she said anything was possible but it was hard to say right now and she said that she more than likely is not dwarf but she may have a thyroid issue that is causing her growth to be delayed and she said she might not be 3 months but she said she is definitely more alert and active than a 4-5 week so not sure about that yet.

Jrhodebeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #84 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your vet should be able to tell by her teeth. There is a big difference in the teeth of a baby puppy and a 3 or 4 month old puppy. Puppies start teething between 3 and 4 months.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #85 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhodebeck View Post
I did contact them and they said they do random inspections there and the only problem they had with them was they were changing puppies food right when they came in and was giving puppies diarrhea but the vet said that was normal. So I to.d them about my puppy and he said that is a civil matter and to file a complaint with BBB, which I did. So they weren't very helpful I told them I was concerned about the welfare of the other animals that were in there, and he said they inspect so that was I could do was tell them. She went to the vet today and has gained 1 pound in 4 days so that is good she is putting on weight and she has to see a surgeon about her leg on Monday and see if there is something wrong with her growth plates or put a stint on her cuz she can't really walk on the one. I asked my vet about what she thought about her not being GSD she said anything was possible but it was hard to say right now and she said that she more than likely is not dwarf but she may have a thyroid issue that is causing her growth to be delayed and she said she might not be 3 months but she said she is definitely more alert and active than a 4-5 week so not sure about that yet.

How to Prevent Angular Limb Deformity in Puppies

The most common angular limb deformity occurs in a puppy’s forearm, which has a two-bone system comprised of the ulna and the radius.3

If the growth plate of either of these bones is injured (usually it’s the ulna), the damaged bone will stop growing, but the other bone in the two-bone system will continue to grow.

The damaged, no-longer-growing bone acts like a rubber band, putting tension on the growing bone. This causes the healthy bone to bow, curve or rotate as it continues to develop. In some worst-case scenarios, the bone can develop all three deformities – it can bow, curve AND rotate.

Younger dogs whose bones are still growing – especially large and giant breed puppies – are at much greater risk for developing a severe deformity than older animals after a traumatic injury.

If the problem isn’t diagnosed quickly and corrected with surgery, there can be much bigger problems in the future for the injured puppy.

Abnormal limb deformities result in abnormal joint movement, which can be quite painful for the dog.

Arthritis is another common outcome, along with the inability to move normally.

If the deformity is severe and is left untreated, a dog can actually lose all function in the affected limb.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
How to Prevent Angular Limb Deformity in Puppies

The most common angular limb deformity occurs in a puppy’s forearm, which has a two-bone system comprised of the ulna and the radius.3

If the growth plate of either of these bones is injured (usually it’s the ulna), the damaged bone will stop growing, but the other bone in the two-bone system will continue to grow.

The damaged, no-longer-growing bone acts like a rubber band, putting tension on the growing bone. This causes the healthy bone to bow, curve or rotate as it continues to develop. In some worst-case scenarios, the bone can develop all three deformities – it can bow, curve AND rotate.

Younger dogs whose bones are still growing – especially large and giant breed puppies – are at much greater risk for developing a severe deformity than older animals after a traumatic injury.

If the problem isn’t diagnosed quickly and corrected with surgery, there can be much bigger problems in the future for the injured puppy.

Abnormal limb deformities result in abnormal joint movement, which can be quite painful for the dog.

Arthritis is another common outcome, along with the inability to move normally.

If the deformity is severe and is left untreated, a dog can actually lose all function in the affected limb.
Thank you that was very informative I didn't know that that couldn't be seen on X-rays so maybe that's what it is. She doesn't seem to be in pain at all but maybe she is, I guess I will find out when she sees the surgeon on Monday.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #87 (permalink)
Banned

The growth plate is difficult to detect a fracture in; when my son broke his at 13yrs. or so, the doctor couldn't actually see a fracture; he said that it's rather like a dinner plate that's all in pieces, anyway, so if there was indeed a fracture, and he didn't cast it, it could cause all that damage potentially, so my son was in a cast for 8 weeks that summer.

If that puppy was held and dropped, it may have limped a bit for a day or two and then seemed okay. If that's what's going on, it could have happened any number of ways.

I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this. It's hard enough being a new puppy parent without all this going on, too
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #88 (permalink)

Well she went in for surgery today. The vet said that one of her growth plates closed early causing one bone to continue to grow while the other one is not. He said that it was due to some traumatic injury probably at the pet shop because we didn't do it and he said it looks like it has been going on longer than we have had her. So hopefully she gets better soon and can lead a some what normal life!

Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #89 (permalink)

poor puppy Yeppie, I'd be taking that petstore to small claims court to atleast cover your vet bills.

She is very lucky to have you,,hope she comes thru surgery ok.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #90 (permalink)
Crowned Member

^^^^ What Diane said. Document everything. And call AC again. That puppy had an injury and no medical care. That would be neglect....

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.