Malnourished puppy - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #51 (permalink)
Banned

Merck Veterinary Manual

Quote:
Recent studies show that many homemade diets for dogs are deficient in minerals and have altered calciumhosphorus ratios. Therefore a high-quality commercial food, or one designed by a credentialed veterinary nutritionist, is recommended.
Unless they fed her a home-made diet (would be rare in a pet store setting) she shouldn't have rickets - unless she has a metabolic imbalance, and considering they said she acts normal that wouldn't be it...?

It's confusing, for sure...
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhodebeck View Post
I just searched and her mom and dad both came back as GSD, so I don't know, just worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
What they were suggesting earlier is that perhaps the mother is an AKC registered German Shepherd that went into heat and was bred to another AKC registered German Shepherd, but unbeknownst to the
"breeder", another dog (Probably a chihuahua?) got to her during the time she was in heat, creating a litter of some purebred puppies and some mixed-breed puppies, but they were all registered as though the father was German Shepherd.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"Rickets and other bone pathologies have been reported in young pigs housed indoors and fed processed feed." That would be the same circumstances for this pup.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
What they were suggesting earlier is that perhaps the mother is an AKC registered German Shepherd that went into heat and was bred to another AKC registered German Shepherd, but unbeknownst to the
"breeder", another dog (Probably a chihuahua?) got to her during the time she was in heat, creating a litter of some purebred puppies and some mixed-breed puppies, but they were all registered as though the father was German Shepherd.
Is there anything that we could do then? We thought we were buying a purebred but if it turns out she is not we paid a lot of money. We still love her and want to keep her but feel that someone should have known with her low growth weight. I will talk to the vet about this possibility on Monday when I take her.

Jrhodebeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #55 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think the only thing you should be worried about at this point is that she is healthy. It's disappointing, but like you said you love her and you will keep her no matter what. Right? The other stuff (reporting the store, retaining an attorney, getting your money back, etc.) you should not let go of course. Just don't make it something that you have to "worry" about. It's not worth it. What's done is done. She is your baby now regardless of her breed. Now you know better for next time. Good luck with her. She is cute. Keep us posted on her health. And I hope you do report that puppy store and it gets closed down.

Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #56 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhodebeck View Post
Is there anything that we could do then? We thought we were buying a purebred but if it turns out she is not we paid a lot of money. We still love her and want to keep her but feel that someone should have known with her low growth weight. I will talk to the vet about this possibility on Monday when I take her.

You can certainly report the store for fraud. You could sue but I imagine you'll have to give the dog back. And I would report the place to AC with the conditions you describe.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #57 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At a few months old, this dog is way too proportional to be a dwarf. This isn't a GSD. Even if a chihuahua and a GSD crossed, you would not end up with a 3.something pound puppy at a few months old. The vet would have been able to tell by the teeth if the dog was more like 6 wks and I'm certain would have told the owner that the dog was not in fact 3 months, but 6 weeks. There is no way that ANYTHING crossed with a GSD will be a proportional 3 lb puppy at 3 months old. It's not malnurished or emaciated, they only think that because it's supposed to be a GSD. It's not. Everyone has these wild crazy theories as to what has happened, but there is nothing about that puppy that says GSD, other than the color, and there are a lot of breeds with GSD coloring.

This is a toy breed and with all the toy breeds that our local petstores sell, it could likely be a cross between toy breeds. They do have a lot of leg issues, they have very tiny little bones that can easily be broken or fractured and heal incorrectly. Regarding the AKC papers, clearly there has been a mix up at the store. They gave you old papers for some reason for another dog they had that didn't go home with it's papers, maybe it died, who knows? But the papers aren't going to prove anything and the only DNA testing that is accurate is to test the parents and the pup to see if those parents produced that pup. I highly doubt the puppy millers have their dogs DNA on file, so that likely won't be an option. The other DNA tests which test breed have been proven repeatedly to be inaccurate at best, and a guess at worst.

Last edited by Rerun; 11-30-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #58 (permalink)

I would do a DNA test on the puppy. Contacting the 'breeder' would most likely be a waste of time, unfortunately the majority of puppies in pet stores, are usually out of puppy mills

It's very possible the mother was bred by two different dogs.

I would start with a DNA, I would report the petstore to not only the local AC but to your states Head of Agriculture Dept.

I would also tell the pet store that you ARE going to DNA this puppy, and since you paid ALOT of money for her/him, if the DNA comes back he's 'mixed', your taking them to court.

I would not return the puppy, and I would pay "something" for him/her, but I would want the majority of my purchase price refunded.

The puppy is very lucky to have YOU in his/her corner and every puppy deserves a home, but unfortunately I don't think this puppy is a purebred gsd He/she may not have any health issues right now, but who knows what the future holds.

Good luck with him/her,,i would nail that petstore to the wall.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #59 (permalink)
Elite Member

It looks like a yorkie mix to me. Like chihuahua/yorkie or min pin and yorkie. The color is the only GSD thing about that puppy, but you can get those colors from yorkies and min pins also.

much younger puppies but still-

Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #60 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
They do have a lot of leg issues, they have very tiny little bones that can easily be broken or fractured and heal incorrectly.
This is really what it seems like.
To the OP - did you ever say if all her legs were like this or just one?
We adopted out a dog some time ago that's leg went wonky like this. In the short time he was with us, he was well cared for and didn't get injured but he was some 3mos. when the family with a lot of small kids surrendered him.
His leg had apparently been fractured with that family, and had healed.

Then the leg continues to grow while the growth plate is frozen, and you get a bowed leg like that.
I think they do okay in the long run but it never looks right and is prone to arthritis. Surgery is advisable after that type fracture, but obviously the pet store never noticed (if this is the case, it may not be), so it was never addressed.
Remember this is just a guess and could explain one limb being twisted/bowed or otherwise messed up.
If ALL the limbs are that way, something else is wrong.

Growth plate fractures
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.