German Shepherds Forum banner

Malnourished puppy

34K views 182 replies 53 participants last post by  Gilly1331 
#1 ·
We just bought a 3 month old GSD 4 days ago and she only weighed 3.6 pounds when I took her to the vet. We have been feeding her puppy food for large breeds to try to get her at a healthier weight. I took her 3 days later to vet and she weighed 3.8 pounds. Her right leg is a little bent, had X-rays and nothing wrong there, vet says she has no muscle to hold her weight so that's why that is happening. We are just concerned that she is so tiny for her age. Has anyone had a problem like this or any suggestions?

#113 ·
glad she's doing well, we OF COURSE need MORE pictures of the little squirt :)))

#132 ·
View attachment 23561

Here is Elka and her arm, sorry for the darkness.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
LOL.. 8 days after the post started we finally get her name? :D

I'm so glad she's looking good! Excellent job with her! And I think she's looking sherpherdy.. Will u still do the DNA test at 6 months? I don't understand this? Why 6 months? DNA doesn't change.. So what is the difference if u do it at 6 months, 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 years??

#117 ·
aww poor little thing, she looks so sweet and I agree she's very very lucky you got her

#118 ·
years ago I was in a pet store that sold pups and there was an obviously Malamute pup that the sales person was trying to sell to a couple as a registered Collie..Rare color and markings!! AND when I told the people it was definitely NOT a collie the store clerk said they had papers to prove it was pure collie!!! Dumb people bought the puppy, and I happened to be out walking my dogs one day when they pulled up and showed me their Malemute teenager, shocking their registered collie was in fact a hairy 100 pound sled dog, but they loved him...

Screwed up/lost papers and dumb clerk or just a scam artist I don't know, I do know I showed the purchasers from Can Annual magazine while in the store pics of both breeds and their pups, but they believed the clerk knew and was honest...Buyers beware

#121 ·
Adorable name! I hope she knows how absolutely lucky she is with you in her life. Thank you for your generosity to this helpless cutie!

#126 ·
#124 ·
she looks soooo much better !

#133 ·
He wasn't too happy but he wanted her to be healthy so he is happy with the results now. She hashed to go for X-rays every week since the surgery and this one tomorrow should determine if she is good to go or will need more surgery. Last X-ray showed her growth plate open, when before it was closed, so we are hoping for the best tomorrow because I don't want to have to put her through anything else. She is actually a normal puppy now, playing and going on walks. So we are extremely happy with the outcome so far!

#134 ·
Cat Dog breed Comfort Canidae Carnivore

So the vet said that her growth plate is still open and arm growing. He can't explain why it closed and then opened because usually that doesn't happen, but we are both happy with the results. He wants to see her in a couple months to make sure, but he is pretty sure we are outbid the woods. She is a normal puppy now and we couldn't be happier, she started at 3.6 pounds and is growing rapidly now. She is 22 pounds now and is expected to be around 75. Vet is now convinced she is a german shepherd now and is growing to be a beautiful one. I'm just glad we could get her and get her healthy!

#138 ·
awww she looks so much better,,hey whatever happened with the petstore you got her from?

#140 ·
Oh I finally got a response from them about the BBB complaint yesterday, (I put the complaint in almost 2 months ago)and the pet store said that they hand fed her steak,chicken, peanut butter and cheese and she would just not grow. They also took extra good care of her because of her size. They claim they took her to vet several times because they were concerned with her size and they would take her out and play but they just couldn't get her to grow. All of that is a lie, 3 days after we had her she already gained 2 pounds, so I don't know how we magically made her grow when they couldn't. I've talked to animal control about them and they swear they do random inspections and they always pass them. I think animal control is lazy and they didn't even seem concerned when I told them what was going on. So I guess all I can do is let other people know about them and not to go there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.