Malnourished puppy - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #31 (permalink)

The X-rays showed no fractures or dysplasia of any kind or no injury that had happened to her. I am not sure if she had parvo at the pet store, I think the stool will show that, but the vet said that if she had it she would have blood in her stool or vomiting blood, which she is not so that is very good! I have to take her back to the pet store on the 9th to get her 3rd parvo shot, but I am thinking I will just go to my vet, because I do not really trust them. I do want to report this pet shop, because I went in there the other day to get her AKC papers and they had so many puppies in one cage with no food or no water and no room to move, so I think they need to be inspected because I don't think the animals are getting the care they need or deserve. How would I report them?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jrhodebeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Start with Animal Control.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

Maybe buy an online genetic testing kit, swap inside her mouth to see what breeds come back on that? Maybe shes a chi/GSD mix? Listen to your vet with her care, keep her on a good quailty feed kibble or otherwise. Don't over feed her bc she is small you want to make sure she can handle the amount of food she is being given even if it is several smaller meals a day. Good luck with your little pup! She will do much better with you now that you have her in your care.
Diesel-GSD
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She does look a lot like a chihuahua mix. Even if she was kept in a cage and malnourished she wouldn't be that small--she would be really, really skinny too, which she's not. She doesn't really look like a gsd to me.

I would throw out the food they gave you and never go back there. And I would definitely file a complaint against them and get the media involved. I would also get a lawyer involved and get your money back because it sounds like you'll need it to get her health again.

Some dogs do great on kibble but I always found that when I brought a foster or new dog home with health issues it was best to make food for them and add supplements until they got better.

Rafi didn't look too good when I brought him home but a good diet, exercise and supplements sure turned his life around for the better!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

That is exactly what I was thinking - terrier or chihuahua mix - if you google a chihuahua gsd mix you will find some good pictures that do kind of look like your pup - not that she possibly couldn't be purebred. If she is a purebred then my guess is that you are looking at a genetic defect like pituitary dwarfism but she will be a very special puppy no matter what

Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #36 (permalink)

Would it be possible for her to be a mix, even if she is registered as a purebred GSD with AKC? That is why I have not considered that an option, I am about to get her 3 generations of pedigree after our application is processed, I don't think that is something that can be forged, but maybe it can?

Jrhodebeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wonder what kind of ID they are using? maybe there was just a mix-up nd wrong papers went with the dog. Black and tan - so it must be a German Shepherd. Maybe the papers were swapped.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They can falsify papers easily....especially if they have no concern for well being of pups, would they be honest enough to actually have the proper papers?
Is the pup identified w/ a microchip to be sure you have the right pup w/ the right papers?

I'd get the media involved too. Play on the publics sympathy and get that place closed down.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #39 (permalink)

She can't be a mix and be AKC - even lets say if she came from an AKC gsd and an AKC chihuahua. Per the AKC this is called cross breeding and those dogs cannot be registered. I suggest as soon as you get the papers you call the AKC to register your dog - this will confirm the legitimacy of them. You may also want to google the pet store you got her form and the breeder or even check www.bbb.org to see if any one else has had any issues with that store.

Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is not a german shepherd puppy, or GSD mix. It is way too small for even a mix with a toy breed. At a few months old, the pup is very proportional and does not appear emaciated. The coloring is definitely GSD like but the body and conformation is toy breed, which is what the weight and size confirms. A half cup a day is the right amount for a puppy this size, it can not even physically eat 3 cups a day as people are suggesting.

The store that gave you papers for a GSD is either very dishonest or more likely had a very stupid employee. The pup will probably be 7 - 10 lbs max as an adult.

Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.