German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Need Ideas for Self-Chewer... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/195302-need-ideas-self-chewer.html)

Olivers mama 11-28-2012 06:00 PM

Need Ideas for Self-Chewer...

...or I may have to pull all her teeth (JK).

Constantly licking & chewing - but mostly, while she's in the crate. She comes to work with us & is in a crate in front of my desk. Chew-chew-chew. Lick-lick-lick. Not only are her back toes raw, the sounds drive me nuts - the chewing especially is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Tried steroid shots. Benadryl. Allergy tests. Nothing. She's been on the same food for about 18 months. She gets taken out (at work) twice & has a full 1-hour run in the warehouse after work. When we get home, she spends most of her time out of the crate.

Ointments don't work - she licks them off. Someone suggested mustard plaster - she ate that too. (Course, this is a dog that will sometimes eat turds, so I guess there's nothing that could taste worse?!) Tried sox - she pulls those off or chews thru them. Elizabethan collar liked to drive me over the edge with all the noise in the crate from the collar hitting the sides of the crate.

Any suggestions? Home remedies? :help:

Benevolence 11-28-2012 06:04 PM

I've heard that larger breeds that chew/lick constantly at their back feet may be having circulation issues, possibly due to heart problems. Hopefully that's not the case here. Sorry, can't offer much advice.

Olivers mama 11-28-2012 06:22 PM

Since we adopted this Rescue, I honestly believe she's had every test known to man: allergy, thyroid, GSD-prone ailments. She's healthy as a horse. I've never had a ChewBacca before - don't much like it, either.:rolleyes:

GatorBytes 11-28-2012 06:28 PM

You've tried all that conventional has to offer

Food - I am sure you know the answer RAW - CARB FREE (sugar free - yeasts)
Homeopathic detox re: vaccines -
Detox kidneys and liver - dandelion, milk thistle
digestive enzymes
probiotic
Immune system support -
Adrenals (excrete hormones re: yeast) - Aswagandha
Thyroid is strongly linked to itchy skin problems - kelp, ashwagandha

Have a thyroid test done - but have it doen by Dr. Jean Dodds (specifically)
If the thyroid is in the grey area - meaning Normal in the low end T4 which is not significant in conventional medicine - you could use things like noted and then there is thyroid glandulars - or raw thyroid

Jax08 11-28-2012 06:31 PM

Do you think it's an OCD thing? And not a medical issue? Have you tried any anti-anxiety meds?

Olivers mama 11-28-2012 06:37 PM

When we tested her thyroid, I insisted upon the full panel - not just T4 or TSH. Since I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, that's 1 area about which I know something. And usually, it's under-diagnosed. But her panel was well within normal limits.

OCD? That's what I'm thinking. But I don't know how to fix it. Meds would not be my first choice. Some homemade remedy to keep her teeth away from her rear paws would be splendid.:crazy:

Jax08 11-28-2012 06:39 PM

There are many herbs for anxiety. You could try Springtimeinc's Stress formula.

Springtime, Inc. | Stress Free Calmplex for Dogs | Help Calm Nervous Dogs

kelina 11-28-2012 06:44 PM

TICK!!

lol, At least thats what i heard when a dog licks/chews her toes .

Jax08 11-28-2012 06:59 PM

I just did a quick google search and everything you've tested for is listed as a cause, as well as OCD. They recommend bitter sprays...which you've tried. And behavior modification but you would have to keep her near you at all time to stop the behavior and redirect. With her other issues you've had, I wonder if the Stress Free might also help those as those are related to fear and anxiety also.

Olivers mama 11-28-2012 07:12 PM

Since she's right in front of me, I tell her to 'Leave it'. If that doesn't work, I have a squirt bottle. Picture this: on the phone with a customer. I'm standing at the edge of my desk, squirt bottle in hand. (She loves the hose, hates the squirt bottle).

What is this 'Stress Free'? Can I give her a margarita to help calm her?:crazy: