Health issues...but only on one side of the body? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Health issues...but only on one side of the body?

This isn't anything urgent, but it bothers me. I've talked to his vet about it, and they just brushed it off as no real concern, but I truly don't understand it.

Ever since Baxter was a puppy, his right eye has always watered. It never looks irritated, but he always has a wet streak going down his face from his eye watering. It never really seems to stop. It's been doing it regardless of what foods/vitamins he's on, so I don't THINK it's allergies?

And then, a few months ago, his right ear started getting all gunky. It doesn't matter how often I clean it, what I use to clean it, etc. By the next morning, it's all gunked up again. The vet DID verify that there was absolutely no sign of infection (or even dirt, for that matter) in his inner ear, so it's all outer. It doesn't smell like it's infected, but it's just ALWAYS dirty - dark brown gunk.

Do any of you have ANY clues? I don't want to brush it off if they're signs that there's something going on that I could help, but I also don't want to make a huge deal out of nothing. Neither of these issues EVER occurs on the left side. Right side only.

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I tried to find an article my holistic vet wrote to find what helps explain your dogs specific symptoms.

In TCM, the eyes are related to the liver, the ears - kidneys. I would think that your dog's immune system is struggling from toxic load. The liver is the largest detoxifing organ in the body, and when it cannot process toxins as fast as they come in then the kidneys are left filtering the fallout. These toxins are circulating in the blood and the immune system may have been supressed by vaccines, enviroment, heavy metals (water, vaccines) as well as pesticides (lawn, spot on fleas/tick/heartworm prevention), foods (kibbles that contain GMO's, 4D meats, carbs, and rendered fats - once bag is opened, these fats start to oxidize and become carcinogenic, as well as synthetic vitamins from china)

The good news is that this is an early warning sign of imbalance, detoxing the liver and flushing the kidneys as well as a natural diet with live enzymes and amino acids will help the body help it self.

Dandelion is a mild diuretic and will assist the kidneys in flushing out toxins as well as bad bacteria that can lead to bladder and UTI's and assists in repair of the liver.

Milk Thistle will repair damaged cells of the liver.

However - this won't work well (will help a bit) if adjustments are not made to the above noted.

Note: Once cells in kidneys are damaged, they cannot be repaired. Further assault without prevention will lead to a whole host of other problems as the kidneys work in tandom with the pancreas re: insulin regulation.

EAR INFECTION If the right ear is often infected , the right ear signifies the immune system. The left ear signifies the liver. The left ear is often periodic, spring and fall. The right ear will often flare up during the change of seasons, especially from winter to early summer when the temperature suddenly goes from -25 degrees to 40 degrees above F. That's very hard on the immune system. The Chinese herb for that is astragalus, which is a pretty safe herb. I quite often use bee propolis or goldenseal to kill bugs in the ear. If it's only one ear, it's an organ system that's involved.

From this link
Consumer Health Articles: NATURAL DIET AND NATURAL MEDICINE FOR PETS
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had never thought of it that way! I'm honestly a bit surprised my vet never mentioned any of this as a possibility as he is very focused on a natural and holistic approach to health concerns with Baxter.

I can't think of anything that has changed in his environment in the past few months around when his ear started having problems. His food has remained the same for quite some time (Earthborn Grain-Free, rotating between Coastal Catch and Great Plains), no changes in his diet/vitamins that I can think of, etc.

All in all, he seems to be in good health. The ear itself has never gone into an infection that I can tell - it just gets gunked up. It's all just a bit puzzling, I suppose, and I want to be sure I'm doing the best I can for his health!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

When I adopted my cat, he was 6 years old and eating icky commercial cat food (fancy feast, if you can beleive it LOL) His ears and eyes were disgusting. The "shelter" gave me a list of meds that he was on to keep everything under control. Obviously, their definition of "under control" was much different than mine.

I feed raw. It took me a while to switch him to the raw diet (about 6 months, cats are so dang finicky!) I quit all the meds, cleaned his eyes and ears regularly and watched "nature" unfold. After a couple of months on the raw diet his eyes and ears cleared up, and I've never had to clean them since!

I can't remember what I used right now to clean his eyes and ears (I'm at work!) during the process, but it was all natural stuff and did wonders!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have contemplated switching to raw for Baxter and my two cats...but I guess I still find it intimidating, and I worry that I'll somehow screw it up and they won't get what they need. Haha, I love how much I stress about what my pets get, but I don't always think about what I feed myself.

I have a natural cleaner that I've used on his ears, and when they get red/irritated, the vet recommended I use a simple ointment (can't recall the name...) - just put in a few drops, rub it around (gently), and then carefully wipe out the excess. Doing that seems to clear it up for a while, but obviously it didn't resolve the root cause of it since it returned.

Oh how I wish Baxter could just TELL me...

Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Evan,

When I first started feeding raw ... about 14 years ago, I was intimated and looked at my vet like he was nuts! But, I had a cat that was diabetic because of commercial cat food - Science Diet. I followed his instructions, and two months later the diabetes was gone and my cat was healthier than he'd ever been. The change was dramatic!!!

Lauri and the Gang (her screen name) has a website that provides great information, and if you look under the raw feeding section of the forum, there's lots of info.

I've seen so many of my friend's cats and dogs change from commercial to raw over the years, that it amazes me why more people don't!

I'm not trying to push you, just let you know, it's not really that complicated. And you don't have to feed a balanced meal EVERY SINGLE TIME. As long as the dog is getting what it needs over 3-4 days, you are meeting its needs!!! Just like humans ... there is no way we can get everything we need in ONE day ... it's impossible ... I know, I'm the healthiest eater you'll ever find, and I can't do it!!!!

Good luck with Baxter!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Could it be a blocked, or partly blocked tear duct?
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Evan,

When I first started feeding raw ... about 14 years ago, I was intimated and looked at my vet like he was nuts! But, I had a cat that was diabetic because of commercial cat food - Science Diet. I followed his instructions, and two months later the diabetes was gone and my cat was healthier than he'd ever been. The change was dramatic!!!

Lauri and the Gang (her screen name) has a website that provides great information, and if you look under the raw feeding section of the forum, there's lots of info.

I've seen so many of my friend's cats and dogs change from commercial to raw over the years, that it amazes me why more people don't!

I'm not trying to push you, just let you know, it's not really that complicated. And you don't have to feed a balanced meal EVERY SINGLE TIME. As long as the dog is getting what it needs over 3-4 days, you are meeting its needs!!! Just like humans ... there is no way we can get everything we need in ONE day ... it's impossible ... I know, I'm the healthiest eater you'll ever find, and I can't do it!!!!

Good luck with Baxter!
I'll have to look into it! We did try doing a partial raw diet for a while as the breeder we got him from recommended incorporating chicken necks and such to his diet, but we found out through that he actually can't have chicken. Poor dog had diarrhea ALL the time before we connected the dots... We're hesitant to try turkey because of that, even though I know it's not the exact same!

Blackshep - Possibly.. I think I asked the vet about it initially, but he didn't seem to think so? It honestly doesn't seem to phase Baxter at all, it's just...always leaking.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Use raw organic cold pressed coconut oil to clean the ear...and start adding this to the diet (slowly at 1tsp per meal and work up to 1tsp/10lbs of body wieght...so if 60lbs then 2 tablsp.) Coconut oil will keep intestinal yeasts in check, but the toxic die-off of the yeast will affect the liver...so go real slow.

The ear gunk is probably yeast, this too would be symptomatic of a stressed immune system - this may simply be the food and high carbs. Sugars feed yeast. Yeast feeds bacteria.

Adding a probiotic and switching to RAW as well as other stuff already noted - you may be well on your way to reversing and preventing serious damage (which may not show up for years)

Some vets are not classically trained in holistic medicine, they will use trusted modalities as they start out their education and/or have a realistic view about the importance of minimal meds. and good nutrition- my friend has a vet who has started training in Acupuncture and homeopathics, herbals - but he is still a conventional mind-set...Some holistic vets, although using natural, still treat the symptoms not the cause. However...still a bonus to have a vet that is in tune with realistic needs of animals.

Maybe run it past him/her and see what they think
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've started doing some basic info-searching on raw diets, but can't go too in depth since I'm at work and, well, have other things to focus on, sadly.

I know I have coconut oil at home, but I will check to see if it's the type you recommend!

As for the vet, he really does focus on finding the root cause of things with larger issues, but not for everything, if that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.