Dog bed: comfort and support for aging dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
What kind of dog bed do you get...for a dog who doesn't like dog beds?

Dakota will lay on a blanket or in her crate (on the pan, no bedding), however she has never really taken to the idea of laying on a dog bed. She rarely uses the cedar/stuffing filled bed I got for Kaiser a few months ago (it has a "bolster" on two sides and is HUGE), and she wouldn't even touch the cedar/stuffing flat bed I tried when she was 2 or 3 years old, she MIGHT lay on the air mattress I have to sleep on when visiting my parents (however she only does that when she is VERY sore), and she doesn't lay on my memory foam bed for long because it retains heat (and she is very hot-natured). As a spin off from my last thread (about joint supplements for a 7 year old) I'm trying to find a dog bed that will help ease some of her discomfort while also providing her with something she will actually use.

Any ideas?
My old guy won't use a dog bed either. I gave him an old huge comfortor folded over another blanket to make a soft bed. He also loved the kids bean bag chairs so we gave him those as well.

He still prefers the cool tile most of the time but the others are there if he wants them.

Last edited by shepherdmom; 11-29-2012 at 09:12 AM.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just got an email that Dr. Fosters & Smith has some nice-looking ones with poly-fill on sale right now. I've never bought one of their beds, so I can't comment on how the dogs like it--I'm just passing on the sale notice. I also spotted some advertised on Entirely Pets as designed to stay cooler than room temperature. Again, no experience, I'm just passing on what I saw in case it's helpful.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kya does not like beds either. She will not sleep in our bed and has dismissed all dog beds we have bought her in the past. With her age and her arthritis I tried one more time. She LOVES this bed (actually I have 2 together). She has had no issues with it and is a "hot" dog like Dakoda. It is easy to wash as well.

Slumber Pet Memory Foam Rectangular Dog Beds | PetEdge.com

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The Hooligans, regardless of age, have always had el cheapo dog beds with a folded blanket on top (the last four I bought cost $9 each on sale at Tractor Supply). Years ago I used to make beds from those "egg crate" foam matress covers with a cover and blanket ... these were warm in the winter, too hot in the summer even without the blankets.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

kyra has ripped up a few beds in her day. lol now in her old age she spends lots of time on her heated bed. i just make sure she has access to plenty of water.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

A vet told me once, some dogs don't like the smell of cedar. I know beds are too expensive to just test out different theories. Good luck.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

What about the Kuranda dog beds. My shepherds get quite hot in the summer and they still greatly enjoy laying on their kuranda cots.

They are also near impossible to destroy. My dogs are VERY destructive to beds. They absolutely love shredding out the inside stuffing if I am not supervising them on it. The kuranda beds have been amazing for that
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I did check out the Drs F&S (since Kaiser's bed is from them and I really like it). I'm trying not to shop like a person though...in other words, what sounds really great to ME may not be great to Dakota. I've actually considered the "water" beds (which I think are more like "mats") for her in the summertime, but again I just don't know what she will or won't use. As far as the Kuranda Beds go, I would be surprised if she used them. Kaiser, yes, but Dakota would probably get up on them only if I asked her to. Hmm...So the "egg" mattress is not as warm as the orthopedic (memory) foam? That might be an option...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm sorry I haven't read all the responses, but here's what I did with my aged lab:

We had a nice cover, from a bed we bought at Costco for about $25. He was a 90lb dog, so it was a big bed. We went to our local fabric supply store, Jo Ann Fabrics, where they sell all sorts of stuff, including really nice high-quality orthopedic memory foam. We had a 50% off coupon, so we got some really good stuff for about $50. DH cut it to fit, in two layers. It was thick--I can't remember exactly, but at least 2". One side we did the egg crate-y side, the other the flat, incase he had a preference. I still have it, now Rocket uses it. (Not for long though, I think it's too hot for him, LOL) I should add, it might not be the bed that is too hot, he likes to sleep on the cold tile by the draft front door. Sigh.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

I've heard baby crib mattresses on the floor work well.

I have some loose egg crate and memory foam piled on top of each other. I cover with a top sheet for easy washing. Looks like ****, but my dog will leave the room to go lay in it.

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.