6 mo old stomach issues. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6 mo old stomach issues.

Hey guys, first time to the boards. My 6 month German shepherd has been battling diarrhea for about 2 months. On and off. He went to the vet multiple times, no parasites, has all his shots. They gave me pro pectalin and had me put him on chicken and rice. His stools became solid, and I SLOWLY over two weeks weaned him back on to his TOTW high praire puppy. Literally the day after he was back 100% on his TOTW his diarrhea has returned. anytime I switch him back to chicken and rice he is fine. Any suggestions for a new puppy food for his sensitive stomach? He's almost out of TOTW so I'm ready to order different food. Thanks!
Mvennetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

are switching him over slowly ? imho, the best dog food is the one your dog eats and tolerates.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I've switched him slowly over 2-3 weeks.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

For some reason a lot of German shepherds are prone to runny stools. I solved the problem by mixing a cup of plain pumpkin with her meals.. Vet suggested this to me and it works great.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvennetti View Post
Hey guys, first time to the boards. My 6 month German shepherd has been battling diarrhea for about 2 months. On and off. He went to the vet multiple times, no parasites, has all his shots. They gave me pro pectalin and had me put him on chicken and rice. His stools became solid, and I SLOWLY over two weeks weaned him back on to his TOTW high praire puppy. Literally the day after he was back 100% on his TOTW his diarrhea has returned. anytime I switch him back to chicken and rice he is fine. Any suggestions for a new puppy food for his sensitive stomach? He's almost out of TOTW so I'm ready to order different food. Thanks!
I think the answer lies in your quote.

I see so many people solve their dogs poop issues w/real food only to return to kibble and start all over.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

go to the cause , do not just treat the symptom.

If he is 6 months old and he has all his shots, this may have some involvement in digestive disorders . Sorry folks here we go again, particularly the rabies vaccine Vaccinating Dogs: What Your Vet Hasn't Told You

give the dog good quality protein , and anti oxidant rich , immune assiting food , along with digestive enzymes to thoroughly break down the food and probiotics .
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
go to the cause , do not just treat the symptom.

If he is 6 months old and he has all his shots, this may have some involvement in digestive disorders . Sorry folks here we go again, particularly the rabies vaccine Vaccinating Dogs: What Your Vet Hasn't Told You

give the dog good quality protein , and anti oxidant rich , immune assiting food , along with digestive enzymes to thoroughly break down the food and probiotics .
Shouldn't have to apologize for providing the dark side and helping people make informed decisions where their dogs health is concerned...

Here is anedovirus vaccine (one of in the multi shot) side-effects right from the CDC itself

A vaccine, like any medicine, could cause a serious reaction. But the risk of a vaccine causing serious harm, or death, is extremely small.
Mild Problems
Several mild problems have been reported within 2 weeks of getting the vaccine:
  • headaches, upper respiratory tract infection (about 1 person in 3)
  • stuffy nose, sore throat, joint pain (about 1 person in 6)
  • abdominal pain, cough, nausea (about 1 person in 7)
  • diarrhea (about 1 person in 10)
  • fever (about 1 person in 100)
Severe Problems
More serious problems have been reported by about 1 person in 100, within 6 months of vaccination. These problems included:
  • blood in the urine or stool
  • pneumonia
  • inflammation of the stomach or intestines
It is not clear whether these mild or serious problems were caused by the vaccine or occurred after vaccination by chance.
As with all vaccines, adenovirus vaccine will continue to be monitored for unexpected or severe problems.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the links guys. I am switching him to natural balance fish and sweet potatoe, and have also been giving pumpkin with his food. What is everyone's feeling in probiotics or other digestive aids?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question for you ... if you're leaning towards adding pumpkin to his food, as well as probiotics and other digestive aids ... would you consider switching to a raw diet? It's not as hard as it sounds, and you'll have a much healthier dog in the long run.

Carmspack, Gatorbytes and Lauri & the Gang have LOADS of info to help you out on this. You should check out some of the threads in the forum on raw diet.

Good luck with your puppy, runny poops are not fun to pick up!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I have to agree here. Harley had issues for a year and a half. After thousands in vet bills I ran into a raw co-op on facebook, what a difference. We spent the whole summer with explosive diarrhea and after only 1 week on raw (chicken leg quarters) it stopped. He is the picture of health now. It is not as difficult and expensive as you would think. So much easier than taking your dog to the vet constantly. I'm sure there are other raw feeders on here that would agree, and others that feed quality kibble that will not agree. But, after all the time and money on quality kibble and no results, raw is for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Question for you ... if you're leaning towards adding pumpkin to his food, as well as probiotics and other digestive aids ... would you consider switching to a raw diet? It's not as hard as it sounds, and you'll have a much healthier dog in the long run.

Carmspack, Gatorbytes and Lauri & the Gang have LOADS of info to help you out on this. You should check out some of the threads in the forum on raw diet.

Good luck with your puppy, runny poops are not fun to pick up!
Ophelia vom haus Huro (Ziva) GSD 9/2/12

HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.