Mild lameness? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Mild lameness?

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice, I'm not sure if I should wait this out for a bit or go to the vet.

Last night after work, I picked my 7 month old female up from daycare. Everything seemed fine.

One thing she did that was a bit weird was when she was sitting waiting fro me to open my car door, she peed. I didn't even see her do it, just when I looked down, she'd peed. Now when I picked her up, she was inside, so maybe she really had to go and couldn't hold it anymore, I don't think the peeing is relevant, but wanted to mention it because it was something different.

Anyway, when I got home, I always help her out of the car so she's not jumping down. She whimpered a little when I went to pick her up. I had my hands full and thought maybe something I was carrying was sticking into her, but then when we were walking back to the house she seemed a little off in behind.

It's most noticeable when she's in a forward trot, or a canter gait. It's almost like she hops forward a bit with her right hind leg, but I'm not sure which one she's compensating for. Last night I thought it was her left, but I'm not positive.

I'm having hard time telling which leg it is, but I do think it's one of her back legs.

Do you think she just strained something during play? I'm so afraid of HD or something horrible like that.

Should I just wait and see if it improves? If so, if she doesn't seem to be improving, how long should I wait to take her in to the vet do you think?

I left her home today, it's her first time being left all day in her crate, so I hope she's going to be ok!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

A couple of things come to mind:

- too much running around LOL (as only a puppy can do) and she strained / pulled a muscle and is just sore

- she might have something in the pad of her paw (a thorn, a sliver, etc.)

- she might have pulled / torn her ACL (if this is the case, I really hope you have pet insurance b/c it's expensive!)

My last dog tore her ACL from simply playing with another dog ... she twisted and landed the wrong way on her back leg. Thankfully, I had pet insurance b/c it was $4000.00 to have it repaired - but she was 100% perfect afterwards.

I see it as you having two options ... wait a day or two ... leash walks only and if it eases, you're likely ok. If not, then off to the vet for a thorough checkup.

Fingers crossed that she was just an excitable puppy playing too hard and will be fine in a day or two!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For the ACL, would she be very lame? Like three legged lame?

I *think* she seemed a bit better this morning, I didn't notice it at the walk.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

It all depends on how bad the tear is. When my dog tore her's she could barely move. My friend's dane tore her ACL (it was a partial tear) she just hopped along with her "bad" leg touching lightly on the ground for balance.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ok, she seems to be weight bearing, just maybe doesn't have full range of motion?

OMG, I hope it's not her ACL. I have an accident prone horse, I can't take another accident prone animal!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

LMAO ... Oh I hear ya ... they can cost you a fortune (I added up the vet bills from one of my dogs ... over $10,000 in the 12 years ... I almost died ... I could have bought a freaking house!)

Fingers crossed it's just sore!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh, thanks. I'm so worried. I love my little girl, I hope she's ok!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She could also be starting a bout of Pano...the age is about right.If she is going to the daycare today, make sure you have them rest her and watch how she moves(if she is limping, she should be on rest protocol) Hope she is ok too!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh darn, I thought pano would be when they were doing their major growth spurts as younger puppies.

Ok, I'll give it today and tomorrow. If she looks the same I'll take her in. My poor monkey!

onyx, I kept her home and crated today, to be safe. Whatever it is, I didn't want it worsened by her crashing around at daycare.

Last edited by blackshep; 11-27-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did she go for a pee or did she just release in a sit while waiting at the car?

School of thought for a full ACL tear - the leg would be lifted or tippy-toed. looking at limping hard the right front would indicate back left - same for left front - back right.

Pano as mentioned - From Don Hamilton DVM - sqeezing in the middle of bone - femur (Thigh) or tibia (shin), humerous (upper arm) - if sensitive will casue the dog to flinch - homeopthis suggested 1st - Mezereum (if worse w/cold damp and at night and pain more in the tibia), 2nd - Ruta Graveolens (if pain drives them to move about as this relieves pain)

Could be sore muscles - Arnica montana is indicated for muscle sprains and strains - could be misaligned vertebrae from tearing around - chiro would help. Also Rhus Tox and again Ruta Graveolens
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.