Mild lameness? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For the pee, it almost seemed to release while sitting (or just getting up from a sit, when I noticed it, she was leaning a bit forward in a bit of a squat, but not full out like normal) to get into the car. I didn't actually see it happen though, but I was assuming it was from her being inside at daycare and maybe really having to pee. she will occasionally pee in parking lots, and not go to the grass.

Otherwise, she's not had any accidents or straining to pee or anything like that. When she was about 3 months old she got puppy vaginitis. I had her to the vets twice and the vet did NOT take a urine sample but was completely confident it was not a urinary infection or anything. Actually, when she got it she'd just been put on antibiotics for possible coccidia exposure (unlikely, but we just treated her in case, because she had loose poop from Origen food). She does still have a small amount of discharge from time to time (from what I've read they grow out of this condition slowly). It's way better, but I noticed this the other day and she was cleaning herself.

Could it possibly be a UTI, and if so, could that cause a change in her gait if she were in pain? I'm not seeing any other symptoms though.

I have been gently palpating her legs and muscles in her hind end, but not really had any reaction. She seems to be standing normally on it, and other than the odd moment, in a walk it seem like there's nothing wrong. I can try to get a video tonight, if that helps?

One thing I did last night is while she was chewing on a bully stick, I rubbed her tummy to get her to roll over a bit more. This was no problem, but I gently flexed her left hind leg outward (I just gently held by her stifle and rotated out a little, not forcefully) and she whined a little again (didn't stop chewing mind you lol). So that motion seemed to be more uncomfortable for her.

Last edited by blackshep; 11-27-2012 at 11:21 AM.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, I'm thinking the pee doesn't sound normal, but when you are not looking for something doesn't seem to present itself, if she has a bacterial infection this could backk up into the kidneys and may be why she was uncomfortable when you picked her up.

By the sound of rotating the knee she may have a mild pull - could be weak ligaments and muscle that made her prone to injury. Reduce inflammation w/curcumin, bone stock (home-made - which will also nourish the joints and tendons)...could also use yucca, devils claw (so many)...I would avoid NSAIDS especially Rimadyl and Meticam - especially due to the possible urinary system infection (NSAIDS are toxic to kidneys).

The discharge - is she spayed? May be start of Pyometra (usually in unspayed)

Possible two diff. issues going on.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hope that your girl is just having a bout of Pano and that she will be her old self soon.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She is spayed. I don't think it's a UTI, she's not really showing any symptoms of it other than that little bit of discharge from time to time and the vet was certain it was puppy vaginitis, and I've spoken to the vet about it twice. No increased urination, no straining, no colour or smell change. Eating and drinking normally, bright and active. I'll keep an eye open for more symptoms though. It's not the first time she's peed a parking lot, it just caught me off guard.

Popped home on lunch break, I'm feeling a bit better that it might just be a muscle pull. When I took her out, the way she hopped over the threshold for the door was a little bit funny, but otherwise she looked more or less ok.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll keep you guys posted. If she's not improving by tomorrow, I'll call the vet and while we're there I'll get her urine checked too, just to be sure.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Sounds alot like what I am dealing with, a few months back we started with limping and thought maybe an injury too, took her to the vet and did xrays and was diagnosed with Pano. She has had it on 3 separate occasions now and is suffering with it again now.
I was asking for suggestions that I could do rather than meds for my pup too because she is really uncomfortable.
Hope this is what is going on with your pup rather than the other- even though they both are painful for the pup.
Hope your pup has a speedy recovery.
Bear-Lasa-poo (Our energizer bunny) RIP
chloesmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

chloe's, sorry your pup has pano. Not very nice for them.

Is your dog acutely lame, or mildly? I always though pano presented as acute lameness?

Her littermate had pano, so I'm not writing that off, I just thought it would be extreme lameness? Or am I mistaken?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here is an article from dogs naturally re: NSAIDS - ironic this just came in my FB just now after mentioning in my post about avoiding, must be karma (this has happened a few times)

NSAIDS And Your Dog: Hidden Dangers

Key snippets form the link

Unfortunately, when NSAIDs suppress the inflammatory properties of prostaglandin, they also suppress the enzyme’s other functions.
Prostaglandin is any enzyme important to many bodily processes. The enzyme is responsible for maintaining the blood circulation in the kidneys. It also assists in the production of blood platelets.

You also want to be careful about the condition your vet is prescribing the NSAID for. It has also been observed that NSAIDs prevent bone fractures from healing. The University Of North Carolina School of Medicine also found that the COX-2 inhibitors not only have an adverse effect on bone healing, they may also impair the healing of ligaments. Please do more research if your vet plans on giving Deramaxx or a similar NSAID to your dog if he has a cruciate or other ligamentous injury.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

If she was my dog I'd take her to the Vet
I worry so much, I'd rather pay for the consult and have peace of mind, lol so does my DH because I get so stressed when there's something wrong with any of the animals.
X-rays are not THAT expensive and at least you then know what the hips etc look like

My Kelpie cross tore his cruciate playing with my GSD (she crashed into him) he yelped a lot but then walked off ok so we thought he'd just sprained himself. The next day he was walking and his stifle locked up - I could just push it back in, you could feel it click, Stifle in stifle out it was quite freaky.
We took him to the Vet and they just thought he had locking stifles and were going to deepen the give in the joint - once they had him opened up they noticed he'd totally torn his ACL. That was 3 years ago and he's good as new - the recovery was the worst part, it took month and month but it was worth it And he was on NSAIDs without a problem So was my 6 month old GSD after they had to break his leg to fix an ununited anconeal process earlier this year. His "break" healed up so quickly the vets were considering re breaking it because it didn't give the UAP enough time to heal.
I hope your little girl will be fine and no nasty issues !!!
LOL I hear you on accident prone horses - they are silly animals if they can possibly hurt themselves they will
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well the good news is, she's looking better and better. I'll see how she looks tonight and make a judgement call.

I can't find any heat or swelling anywhere, and can't find any sensitivity to pressure when I palpate her legs and hips. She went sliding around a corner last night and I heard a little whimper, so I do think it was still a bit tender, but she was looking much better and even better this morning.

If she's still a bit off tonight, I'll make an appointment tomorrow. She's home again today and in her crate. It's a long day in her crate, but I can't leave her out yet, and she gets too rowdy at daycare, so I'm just letting her rest and do some quiet activities at home after work.

Last night we did a bit of her scent detection work, which she is wild about, but isn't too strenuous.

Thanks everyone for your help, I worry about her so much! I want her to be healthy and sound for many years, we do so many different activities together.

I'll still keep you posted!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

It is acute lameness she holds the foot up and puts no pressure on hip when standing still. Will run on leg if allowed to but then uncomfotable when laying down as well. The first time this happened we thought it was her paw pad thinking a sticker or something - but saw no injury so that is why we ended up taking her to vet. She does cry at times about it. I have manuveured it as well trying to see where exactly it is sore and she does not cry, but when the vet did it she seemed to show tenderness, and then with x-ray it was determined. This is the first dog we have ever had with this. My heart breaks when she is hurting. Hope you find the answers soon about your pup.
Bear-Lasa-poo (Our energizer bunny) RIP
chloesmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.