Skin growth at hair follicle? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Skin growth at hair follicle?

This is the best pic I can get... A small firm-ish bump, with a "feathery" protrusion in the middle along with some hairs. The protrusion moves independently of the skin around it, seemingly attached to the follicular root with the accompanying hairs... It sort of slids in and out when manipulted. Any thoughts? We will get it checked out and like removed or at least monitored.

SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Interesting...

The bump is flesh colored...doesn't look infected. It almost looks like an ingrown hair. I would of course keep an eye on it (like you are), don't try to squeeze it.

I'm assuming it doesn't bother him?
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Interesting...

The bump is flesh colored...doesn't look infected. It almost looks like an ingrown hair. I would of course keep an eye on it (like you are), don't try to squeeze it.

I'm assuming it doesn't bother him?
Doesn't seem to. I just felt it. Doesn't look infected or inflamed. I think is some sort of growth
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Looks like a follicular/sebaceous cyst. Has he been lying down for a long period of time on new surfaces? Swimming or working in dirty, wet, or dusty conditions? Keep the area clean. Don't squeeze it. In humans with these type of bumps and growths, when diagnosed as sebaceous cysts, we usually tell them to scrub the area well with an exfoliator and keep it clean. Sometimes put them on antibiotics. How old is he? Is this the first time he has gotten these cysts?
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rusty had something similar over the summer, it was flesh colored, kind of "dry" looking in appearance. It was on his side, didn't bother him. My husband squeezed it one time and gunk came out...then it got infected.

Because it got infected we put vetericyn on it...then it completely went away after a few weeks.

Perhaps it's some sort of cyst? I will stop guessing in an effort not to drive you crazy!
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The oddest part is the fleshy protrusion.

She is 3, no swimming or dirtiness lately
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That sounds like a classic sebaceous/follicular cyst. The hair follicle is a crowded area. Here is a good look at what happens: (it says acne but cysts can progress this way also)

The hair follicle gets plugged with exudate, oil, sloughed off skin cells, dirt, etc. This causes the follicle to get infected, to start forming a cyst and creates a mass. As the cyst grows, infection progresses and area gets inflamed, there is some pain and discomfort. If the pustule can open tot he surface and break, there will be relief and the cyst can be trained. But once that infection is broken prematurely or without proper tools (like what your husband did when squeezing the cyst), the follicle and area can get infected. At this point, you will need local antibiotics or treatments (like the Vetericyn you used) and/or systemic antibiotics to help control the infection.

Google "sebaceous cyst dog" and you will see numerous examples.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

hunterisgreat: do you mean the flesh forms a hefty bump and that is the flesh protruding out? In that case, that is the result of the hard cyst forming and pushing up on the skin. Since there doesn't seem to be a large opening for the cyst to be extracted, you will likely have to have it done by the vet if you want them gone. Unless you just want to leave them for now. When benign and not bothersome to the dog, you can just leave it. Some humans and dogs are just genetically predisposed to these type of skin issues. If this is a hard cyst, you will not be able to drain it yourself.

Rough idea of how they do that:
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used tumeric powder(in the human grade supplement section, not the spice section of the store) for Kacies cysts....using that daily helped them to reabsorb. I gave her one capsule per meal. Turmeric for Dogs, Cats
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Soak a cotton pad in raw organic apple cider vinegar - and hold on the cyst for a few minutes a few times a day - this will kill bacteria. I have used successfully on ingrown hairs - also warm compress of saline solution with a few drops of lavender in the mix and hold on for 10 mins several times a day. Make a salve with beeswax and add in healing herbs too (either essential oils or tincture such as goldenseal) - or you may find a pre-made at local health food store -

Also homeopathic Silicia - will push out foreign bodies.

How to make saline - 1/4 tsp. to cup hot water (tap) to dissolve, test temp in self (inside wrist like baby bottle), soak clean cloth in solution and hold on boil/cyst as noted...lavender is anti-bacterial
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.