Sudden bad breath and lethargy diagnosed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sudden bad breath and lethargy diagnosed

I took Stark to the vet for his suddenly developed bad breath and slight lethargy. The vet did a quick physical exam and said he knew the odor wasnt from his mouth because he has beautiful white adult teeth . I brought in a urine and stool sample and they ran those to find out that he has a large amount of bad bacteria in his stool and a small UTI. He asked if I switched his food lately, and I did about 3 months ago. We switched to a grain free food to see if it helped with his constant itching. (it did help, so he stayed on the grain free food.) Anyways, he says that dogs systems are just so sensitive even when you gradually switch to a new food it can mess up their system. And, apparently thats what is going on with Stark. He has also been burping alot, which I didnt think anything of it because he just eats so fast. So, he gave me an antibiotic and wants me to call him in a week and bring in another urine sample in 10 days. And he says to give him some yogurt to help as well. He says that looking at the urine sample and stool sample his kidneys and liver are functioning perfectly. SUCH A HUGE RELIEF! I am always so worried, thinking something will go wrong, thinking he will get really sick... now I can relax for a while. Just wanted to share my awesome news with you guys. I was so worried he had a liver or kidney issue.
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good to hear that he's okay. Now take a deep breath and enjoy your dog
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would get him started on a probiotic. The previous abx is probably why he has an abundance of bad bacteria in his stool. give it to him at least 2 hours after the antibiotic.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did the vet consult the previous blood work re: low kidney function? Did he not feel the need to run blood work to check the liver and kidney values?

At least he found a slight infection in the urine so at least you know you have some evidence that can be worked on.

As for the blood work and now a UTI...may want to research dandilion - this works as a mild diuretic and will help flush the kidneys and bladder and rid bacteria. Also good for the liver - just for future ref.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

The vet looked over his previous blood work and only saw low liver function. I swore the vet said his kidneys too, but that was 5 months ago and I was so worried he had distemper that I was bawling my eyes out almost the whole visit. We had to take him to an emergency vet who we ended up really not liking... but they put him on the antibiotics and they took care of his infection. So, my vet says he sees no need to run any bloodwork at this time. The vet said as long as he is showing no symptoms of liver problems he isnt concerned about liver issues right now.
What yogurt should I get him? Im assuming a no sugar, no flavor kind... but what brand sells that?
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The grocery store should have "plain yogurt". Probably in a few brands.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah...just read ingredients
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

make sure the dog has access to fresh clean water .
Not only allow your dog to drink more , give him more opportunity to pee . Holding urine for a prolonged time can contribute to bacterial build up . Generally dogs that have a diet with good raw meat have a more acidic pH , grains shift it to being more alkaline which is a better environment for bacteria to grow. You can add a bit of apple cider vinegar , natural type such as Braggs is good.
Adding some chopped parsley greens , or adding stinging nettle , which you can buy in powdered capsule form , or dandelion greens , which you can buy fresh at your grocer , or as a dandelion tea , will act as a mild diuretic and get the urine and cleansing flowing.
UTI's can be cleared up by giving cranberry powder , whi ch you can buy in pill form , or add unsweetened cranberry into his water . Natural treatment for UTI in dogs and cats The Cranberry Bog.

Problem with relying on anti-biotics is that there tend to be rebound effects with different strain having to be dealt with the "next time" or developing anti biotic resistant strains.

If you are adding yogurt , make sure it is plain , unsweetened -- watch out that it does not have any artificial sweetner . Sucralose is a common one !!!! NOT GOOD for dogs . If adding yogurt find the one that has the highest probiotic contribution , which in yogurt is not that much --
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You can also buy a tube of probios at the feed store. It is in the horse section but has more strains of bacteria useful to dogs.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

just remember that horses and dogs are exposed to different pathogens and have different digestive systems and diets and would be implanted , at birth, by different microflora/ microbiota .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.