Hot spots and allergies? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hot spots and allergies?

I was shocked to find on my dog's back/hind leg area this huge area of red ***** hot spot from her ripping her hair out. Anyone deal with this before? I had this issue before with her but last time it was near her rear, she would just rip and rip at it and using bitter stuff didn't help. I switched to a grain free kibble and from then she was fine.

Recently a few weeks ago I changed to raw and she didnt seem to have any problems. She seems to like it and also didnt see any problems for a few weeks. But the past 3 or 4 days I've been cracking a raw egg onto her raw meal. Anyone have dogs that can eat raw but can't tolerate eggs? I dont know if eggs are the culprit but its the only thing different thats been changed. She was laying outside and I went outside to tend to her and her wound was covered in ants as she was lying on an ant trail. Freaked me out. Had to hose her down and apply some hydrogen peroxide and bitter ointment and cut the eggs out. I'm not 100% sure if it's not the raw diet that is doing it to her but i highly doubt that cause she was fine and her coat is really nice after the change.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's diffucult to pinpoint allergies...food vs environment.

In the meantime I'm more concerned with the open wound....this can lead to a pretty nasty bacterial infection. I would recommend a vet visit to get that under control first.

Have you absolutely ruled out fleas?
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It could be the eggs or too many...2-3/wk.

Also the body could be detoxing carcinogens - switching to raw can do that. It's kinda like in people - change their diet for the better and their skin breaks out in pimples.
Low carb diet, you go through a detox and feel really run down, and then you normalize and have more energy.

Once back in balance the hot spots should stop. Rub some coconut oil in after you cleanse w/hyrogen peroxide...Carmen mention Vetrcyn (sp.?) I think it's called too
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I second the Vetericyn...awesome product..rapid healing and can be applied several times per day.

Amazon.com: vetericyn

(GatorBytes-interesting about the diet switch w/ skin break-outs...this has happened to me with a diet change..just connected the dots!)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just got reports back from a person with a springer spaniel with terrible hot spots and fungal ears that a few applications of Vetrycyn did the trick. It speeds wound healing .
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah pretty much, if its not infected and/or needing a vets attention, I put either coconut oil or Vetericyn on everything minor. If they can reach the area I usually use Vetericyn because they love the taste of the coconut oil and will just lick it all off right away.
For hot spots my vet told me to use GentaSpray but that might have been because she knew I already had some around... Everything else she always tells me to use the Vetericyn.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh thanks for the tip I'll check out Vetericyn. For now Ive been using hydrogen peroxide spray and then Grapefruit seed extract drops to stop her from biting since its really bitter. But Vetericyn sounds good.

I have coconut oil too so many I'll try that but I dont want her licking it all off and bringing more attention to that area to begin with
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am very happy to have found this page and be part of this nice group of people. I live in Costa Rica so excuse my language. My German Shepard is 10 months, pure bred. Lovable kid and a handful ...we have been struggling with skin issues since he has been 3 months. Lately, he has developed dandruff (if I can say it also applies to dogs?). It's very hot here and I am sure that is not helping. Any suggestions? Thank you ,.. We live in. Very remote area of Costa Rica, closest vet is 2 hours drive away. Hope you can assist me with some answers from your experience with GSD

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
MajorLeague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorLeague View Post
I am very happy to have found this page and be part of this nice group of people. I live in Costa Rica so excuse my language. My German Shepard is 10 months, pure bred. Lovable kid and a handful ...we have been struggling with skin issues since he has been 3 months. Lately, he has developed dandruff (if I can say it also applies to dogs?). It's very hot here and I am sure that is not helping. Any suggestions? Thank you ,.. We live in. Very remote area of Costa Rica, closest vet is 2 hours drive away. Hope you can assist me with some answers from your experience with GSD

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Welcome

I would suggest starting your own thread in the health section specifically about the health concerns you have right now. It will get more responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.