Joint Care for 7 year old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Joint Care for 7 year old

As much as I hate to admit it, Dakota's body is slowing down. Now mentally, she is trying SO much to be a sassy, vibrant puppy. Physically however, I see that the more she plays, the more trouble she has afterward. For example, she and Kaiser had a dog park play date yesterday that left her unable to walk. Dakota was so exuberant and happy, and even instigated and initiated play with other dogs (which doesn't happen that often), that I didn't even consider that she was hurting herself. It wasn't until yesterday evening, 7-9 hours AFTER the play date, that she refused to put weight on her rear left leg and instead lay motionless on her side the rest of the night. She wouldn't even lay on the side of her body with the sore leg/hip. I gave her a tri-buffered aspirin in hopes that it would give her enough relief to sleep. This morning, she was gingerly putting weight on the leg, which was at least an improvement to last night. I didn't give her any aspirin today though because I wanted to see if she chose to use it or if the pain was still as intense as it was yesterday.

This has led me back to trying to find not only joint supplements for her but also something other than aspirin for pain/swelling relief (if there is something better). Prior to my leaving for training for 2.5 months, I had her on Rematrix soft chews. I liked them because they had Glucosamine, MSM, Creatine, and Chondroitin Sulfate (four things I've taken for my OWN joint issues) as well as HA (which is awesome, at least in people) and I've been hard pressed to find other supplements for dogs that contain all five. Dakota HATED how they tasted, so I was hoping to find a granule formula. I've seen other joint supplements with various combinations of the above but I'm honestly not sure what works and what doesn't. She hasn't been on anything in over 1.5 months, so I want to start something soon.

Does anyone have experience with Rematrix, and if so, why have you stuck with it (or not)? .

If you DON'T use Rematrix, what do you use, and why?

My next question deals with buffered aspirin. For those of you with older dogs, what do you use for pain/swelling relief, and why (whether its aspirin, or something else)? I only plan on giving something like this after Dakota has a hard play date or if she shows signs of pain. She is already a little creaky when she gets up (so sad!!!: so I know she is probably stiff. I want to have something available at home for when I know she needs it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Sorry to hear about your dog. This is what has worked for my two GSD's. I use Standard Process Ligaplex 2 for my dogs. I've seen great improvement with this product. I also give Dasuquin but I found that my dog itches more with this product so I will change to Cosequin and see if that works. I also use Traumeel for pain if they need it.

I've also tried cold laser therapy and chiropractor treatments with great success.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first suggestion is to take her to the vet to see if there is an obvious cause for her discomfort ... a dog that young should be able to play in the park without such a degree of discomfort as not being able to walk afterwards.

FWIW I give my two seniors Dasuquin w/MSM and Tramadol for their sore joints ... so far it's helping a lot (have used this combo in the past with other seniors). Also I've successfully used Adequan injections on some of the old guys I used to have (in fact I've been planning on talking to the vet about when to start Mac on Adequan).

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
My first suggestion is to take her to the vet to see if there is an obvious cause for her discomfort ... a dog that young should be able to play in the park without such a degree of discomfort as not being able to walk afterwards.

FWIW I give my two seniors Dasuquin w/MSM and Tramadol for their sore joints ... so far it's helping a lot (have used this combo in the past with other seniors). Also I've successfully used Adequan injections on some of the old guys I used to have (in fact I've been planning on talking to the vet about when to start Mac on Adequan).

GOOD LUCK!!!
Thanks for the good thoughts Dakota is an absolute sweetheart and I really hope for her to become a therapy dog (we missed the CGC test when I was out town). Even though its very "low key" as far as activity levels go, she really does her walks, hikes, playing on the beach, and her play dates. I will obviously limit her activity if I have to in the future, but I really want to find a happy medium for her because she really DOES enjoy her more youthful moments.

I didn't give her a second dose of aspirin to monitor her pain (to determine if I need to take her to a vet). She IS using her leg now but she is still sore. I'm pretty sure its her hip because she showed no pain when I manipulated her leg however she refused to put weight on her hip. At any rate, if she's not doing significantly better by tomorrow we will go see a vet.

I definitely dont want to go the injection route if I can start with an oral option first. I've heard of both of the drugs you mentioned, but I have no personal firsthand knowledge. I'll look into them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella999 View Post
Sorry to hear about your dog. This is what has worked for my two GSD's. I use Standard Process Ligaplex 2 for my dogs. I've seen great improvement with this product. I also give Dasuquin but I found that my dog itches more with this product so I will change to Cosequin and see if that works. I also use Traumeel for pain if they need it.

I've also tried cold laser therapy and chiropractor treatments with great success.
I've not heard of Ligaplex 2 but I have heard of Cosequin and Traumeel. What led you to the use of these products?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

my first thought is you should try something simple, such as a heating pad. make sure it is the "moist heat". works well for people and dogs.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

Glycanaid HA Factor contains those five ingredients, as well as a few more. It's pricey so I"m also looking for alternatives.

For muscle soreness I give Traumeel. For arthritis pain, I give Zeel.

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mary - how much Zeel do you give? For a 70# dog?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

My Libby is 40lb, or was, she's around 38lb. now. She romps and plays and runs and has absolutely no signs of slowing down, and she's 10 1/3!

I agree with the above poster who said Dakota is quite young to be having this much pain and discomfort. She seems to be an active dog otherwise, from the photos I've seen.
I'd advise a vet visit - and see what they recommend. She could actually be having spinal issues.

We started using Next Level glucosamine formula for our older Dachshund who had back issues when he was alive, and he never had another back issue while he lived.

We now use Next Level with Ruger (elbow dysplasia) and senior fosters we have here.

It is labeled for horses AND dogs, and on the back is a dog dosage chart.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/joint-c...32-oz--5031682

Farnam® Next Level Equine Joint Fluid is recommended to support healthy joint and hip function. For all classes of horses and dogs.

Active Ingredients: Glucosamine Sulfate (shellfish): 5000 mg, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): 1750 mg, Bromelain: 37 mg, Ascorbic Acid (Ester-C): 30 mg, Chondroitin Sulfate (shark cartilage): 14.5 mg, Mussel: 3.5 mg

Inactive Ingredients:
Artificial flavors, calcium ascorbate (preservative), caramel color, corn syrup, FD&C red #40, glycerin, potassium sorbate, propionic acid (preservative), water, and xanthan gum.

Directions for Use:

For horses: Give 2 fl. oz. per day for the first 10 days, then 1 fl. oz. per day thereafter
For dogs: Give 1/4 oz. per 40 lb. of body weight
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've used Yucca Root with my last dog - it's an anti-inflammatory ... worked wonders for her!

I bought it in capsule form (in Canada) - 60 capsules for $8.95
About the Yucca Root
  • The Yucca plant grows in the desert of Mexico and the Southwest United States. Herbalists turn its root, which contains phosphorus, sodium, selenium, iron, zinc, calcium, manganese, copper, iron, potassium and Vitamins A, C and B-complex, into a powder or tea for use in a variety of inflammatory ailments and conditions. Herbalists add the yucca powder to soaps and other cosmetics to help with healing skin disorders and allergies.

Uses for Dogs
  • Dog owners, veterinarians and healers suggest administering yucca root orally as a treatment for hip dysplasia, arthritis and other degenerative joint and bone diseases. In addition, natural animal healers suggest adding yucca root to a dog's diet to reduce swelling, inflammation and pain of the dog's digestive tract. Giving the dog yucca root orally can help soothe the dog's itching or inflamed skin which results from flea bites.

• When to Consult the Veterinarian
    • As with any herb or natural medicine, consult with a veterinarian before administering yucca root to the dog. Many herbs, including yucca root, can neutralize another medication that the dog takes or it can cause the dog to react adversely to an already-prescribed medication. Do not give any form of yucca root to a pregnant or lactating bitch or to a dog with a kidney problem

• Sources of Yucca Root
      • Buy yucca root at health food stores or order online through a yucca root supplier or distributor. You can buy the yucca root in its natural form and grind it or brew it yourself, or buy the products such as powders, teas and capsules from the suppliers.

Read more: Yucca Root for Dogs | eHow.com Yucca Root for Dogs | eHow.com

Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

My 6 year old has bad hips, and I took her to the vets and we put her on dasuquin w/ MSM and I also give her a dog version on omega 3 liquid. You wouldn't know anything bothers her now. (we took xrays and her hips looked like that of a 13 year old.)
VCGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.