Joint Care for 7 year old - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

You might take a look at the suggestions in this thread:
Deramaxx no longer available - alternatives that work for your senior?
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
Thanks! I think there were 3 chicken backs. Water was just over them. My husband might have stopped it before 24 hours and I'm not sure if we let it get to room temp before refrigerating. We also added turmeric and garlic, not sure if that matters as far as consistency goes. I'll follow directions better next time!
To get full benefit you need joints and breast bone (cartilage), neck, I think someone once mentioned chicken feet too. If you were only to do 3 backs, then a tblsp. of vinegar...I was thinking a pot - I get about 7-8 cups out of a batch.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

These are the supplements I used with my dogs who had issues with their joints, but check with your vet about possible medication interactions before using:
-glucosamine/chondroitin- I used Syn Flex and would recommend it, I used the human version but they had a dog oe too now.
-Duralactin
-DLPA
-Dog Gone Pain- my vet suggested just giving this when she seemed sore, however I don't think it can be given with NSAIDs
-Salmon oil and vitamin e

I also have heard good things about Adequan.

This site has some good suggestions on diet and supplements for arthritis: DogAware.com Health: Supplements & Diet Guidelines for Dogs with Arthritis
Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

Has anyone tried Curcumin for their dogs?

I have been taking it myself for almost over 2 months with excellent results. I used to take Excedrin often and with this I haven't had a single headache. Not to mention it was bye-bye to my ankle pain issues and neck pain as well.
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post

I have been taking it myself for almost over 2 months with excellent results. I used to take Excedrin often and with this I haven't had a single headache. Not to mention it was bye-bye to my ankle pain issues and neck pain as well.
Yes...I used for Gator a couple yrs ago. I stopped in favour of using Ginger to stimulate lipase for fat digestion and he went downhill in the lameness dept.. Ginger is also used for inflammatory conditions...but the curcumin was superior. I regretted stopping it, my vet suggested devels claw saying she didn't think curcumin was that effective (in comparison to DC I guess).
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes, curcumin is very good, but til now I had no idea it could be used on dogs too.

And just so you know, turmeric doesn't work, it has to be curcumin. I tried it at first and I was just wasting my money, it was until I tried curcumin that I began seeing results.
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Yes, curcumin is very good, but til now I had no idea it could be used on dogs too.

And just so you know, turmeric doesn't work, it has to be curcumin. I tried it at first and I was just wasting my money, it was until I tried curcumin that I began seeing results.
should read 95% standardized extract
Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, Dakota's body is slowing down. Now mentally, she is trying SO much to be a sassy, vibrant puppy. Physically however, I see that the more she plays, the more trouble she has afterward. For example, she and Kaiser had a dog park play date yesterday that left her unable to walk. Dakota was so exuberant and happy, and even instigated and initiated play with other dogs (which doesn't happen that often), that I didn't even consider that she was hurting herself. It wasn't until yesterday evening, 7-9 hours AFTER the play date, that she refused to put weight on her rear left leg and instead lay motionless on her side the rest of the night. She wouldn't even lay on the side of her body with the sore leg/hip. I gave her a tri-buffered aspirin in hopes that it would give her enough relief to sleep. This morning, she was gingerly putting weight on the leg, which was at least an improvement to last night. I didn't give her any aspirin today though because I wanted to see if she chose to use it or if the pain was still as intense as it was yesterday.

This has led me back to trying to find not only joint supplements for her but also something other than aspirin for pain/swelling relief (if there is something better). Prior to my leaving for training for 2.5 months, I had her on Rematrix soft chews. I liked them because they had Glucosamine, MSM, Creatine, and Chondroitin Sulfate (four things I've taken for my OWN joint issues) as well as HA (which is awesome, at least in people) and I've been hard pressed to find other supplements for dogs that contain all five. Dakota HATED how they tasted, so I was hoping to find a granule formula. I've seen other joint supplements with various combinations of the above but I'm honestly not sure what works and what doesn't. She hasn't been on anything in over 1.5 months, so I want to start something soon.

Does anyone have experience with Rematrix, and if so, why have you stuck with it (or not)? .

If you DON'T use Rematrix, what do you use, and why?

My next question deals with buffered aspirin. For those of you with older dogs, what do you use for pain/swelling relief, and why (whether its aspirin, or something else)? I only plan on giving something like this after Dakota has a hard play date or if she shows signs of pain. She is already a little creaky when she gets up (so sad!!!: so I know she is probably stiff. I want to have something available at home for when I know she needs it.
I didn't read all 4 pages so I don't know if anyone else has recommend this or not but I give my 10 year old Glyco-Flex III. The vet recommended it and it has been wonderful. I really saw a difference after about 2 weeks. I had a shepherd with HD many years ago and they didn't have all the wonderful stuff they have now, so she had buffered aspirin (in fact it was called ascriptin) for many years and she lived to be 13 + she never had a problem with it.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also forgot to mention, I did some acupuncture and water treadmill therapy with my dogs too but they had not just arthritis, one had spondylitis also, the other had an FHO surgery that ended up requiring a lot of physical rehabilitation after, due to lack of muscle developing in the leg and delay of the "false joint" formation...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Sorry for the delay in responding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella999 View Post
I got Ligaplex 2 from an animal chiropractor. My boy has moderate/severe arthritis in both of his elbows. He had surgery on one. You would never know it to see him though. I'm grateful for every day he is running around. I also changed to a raw diet for him and so far everything seems to be working great.
I had Dakota on a raw diet for like 3 years and she was in the best of health (better than when she's been on any kibble) but it got too expensive in my area (no co-ops and very few people who advocated it). Now that I have Kaiser, I definitely cannot afford it with meat prices the way they are in my location I certainly wish I could go back to it, but unless I move or something changes, I'll have to stick to kibble for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
I would definitely get x-rays and see if it's a spinal problem or hip problem.
If it's arthritis- I highly recommend Adequan. The injections are very easy to give yourself and if you buy it online it can cost as little as $15/injection.

Like someone else already suggested, I also use Zeel for minor arthritis pain.

#1 thing though would be to make sure your dog is at a good weight, even under by a few pounds.
Dakota is 75lbs and has been consistently for years. Her raw weight was 73ish and her kibble weight has always been 75. I'm glad you mention this, because I've always tried to make sure that she (and now Kaiser) are at healthy, lean weights. Dakota is actually very lean (you can't see it for her fur) because she ONLY eats when she is hungry and when she does eat, its usually just what I give her or a little less. She has never been food crazy (even when doing raw) and almost self-regulates her food intake based on the amount of exercise she gets and the time of year. Its the craziest thing I've ever seen, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Home-made (preservative free) Bone stock. Cheap, effective, no man-made ingredients and you can just pour on the food. But you have to add vinegar as you need an acid to extract the minerals.

This is one of the best most bio-available form of glucosmine.
I've still got your recipe for this, but I haven' had a chance to make it. Now that I'll finally be getting home (after 3 months) I'll definitely try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
You might take a look at the suggestions in this thread:
Deramaxx no longer available - alternatives that work for your senior?
This was one of the first few threads I browsed through. I guess I fall into the category of posters who just can't help themselves and MUST post a new thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
These are the supplements I used with my dogs who had issues with their joints, but check with your vet about possible medication interactions before using:
-glucosamine/chondroitin- I used Syn Flex and would recommend it, I used the human version but they had a dog oe too now.
-Duralactin
-DLPA
-Dog Gone Pain- my vet suggested just giving this when she seemed sore, however I don't think it can be given with NSAIDs
-Salmon oil and vitamin e

I also have heard good things about Adequan.

This site has some good suggestions on diet and supplements for arthritis: DogAware.com Health: Supplements & Diet Guidelines for Dogs with Arthritis
Thanks for the list!

Quote:

No headache?! I have HORRIBLE headaches (and have all throughout my 20s). I am definitely going to look into this for ME (as well as Dakota).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I didn't read all 4 pages so I don't know if anyone else has recommend this or not but I give my 10 year old Glyco-Flex III. The vet recommended it and it has been wonderful. I really saw a difference after about 2 weeks. I had a shepherd with HD many years ago and they didn't have all the wonderful stuff they have now, so she had buffered aspirin (in fact it was called ascriptin) for many years and she lived to be 13 + she never had a problem with it.
Thanks! You aren't the first to recommend this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.