Please help - desperate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help - desperate

I'm new here and new to the German Shepherd breed. Someone we know currently has a 6 or 7 year old German Shepherd male dog who they are threatening to put to sleep because of developing problems. The dog has allergy issues, has had multiple ear infections, sheds excessively, and recently began urinating and pooping in the house. I dont think the dog is on a good quality food - previously blue seal and then iams. Their vet switched the dog to a beef and potato diet (and said to feed this only), but I dont believe that helped so they went back to the regular food. They had the dog tested for allergies and he came back allergic to 10 different things (dust, cockroaches, trees, etc??). He was also put on a shot regimen, but is not longer on it. The dog basically is not allowed in the regular house and lives in an 8' x 8' room in the basement (where it has lived for the past 4+ years), where it is now crated almost 24/7 most of the time because of the pooping/peeing on the floor issue (i think this is a newer problem). So since this recent issue developed, they are saying they are going to put the dog down.

My husband and I recently moved into a house from a condo and we have 2 cats. I think the dog is ok with cats. We are thinking about trying to give this dog a good home on a trial basis, but I am concerned about fixing some of the problems. I have no problem switching the dog to a grain free, high quality food because this would probably help some. But I am not sure what else to try. I could take him to my vet (different vet) beforehand to see what they think. Please let me know what your opinions/ideas are. I don't want to see this dog put down without trying something. Or if it does not work out with him in our home, do you know of any other rescue groups or places we could talk to?? Thank you!

Last edited by PotentialGSDowner; 11-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
PotentialGSDowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

It really helps to know where you are located.
State and/or town?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'll take it on as a challenge, make recommendations on food and provide supplements --
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry - location is CT. And what types of food/supplements?
PotentialGSDowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

PotentialGSDowner...kudo's to you for recognizing a despairaging situation for this poor dog and perhaps taking on the responsibility to give him a new lease on life.

I think with the right protocol (radical to some, normal to others), this issue can be turned around.

Keep in mind that allergies are a symptom of the immune system. The best way to boost and assist the dog to naturally recover would be to feed RAW with an antioxidant boost of some pureed green leafy veg...some digestive enzymes, probiotics raw organic coconut oil and fish oil.

Carmen - who posted, has a line that will cover noted along with added herbals that detox the kidney and liver as well as reduce inflammatory conditions and support and compliment a raw diet - and I suppose, a good quality kibble (secondary), but focus needs to be on bringing the dog back into balance - the gut, bacteria and yeast are prevelant and sugars have to be removed - that is in the form of carbs...there is NO kibble that is carb free.

The choice is ultimately up to you if you can or want to take on that resposibility - but it WILL do the dog better and for all - his health and your wallet in the long run.

The people must have had him in and out of the vets a ton - so it likely the dog has been over-vaccinated, this is a contributing factor in immune response to foreign invaders syndrome - "allergies".

An herbal detox, raw food, good suppl. exercise in the sunshine and a caring compasionate family...this dog will be happier then a pig in poop.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 11-25-2012 at 07:22 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is really sad, even if you can give the dog a few months of love and a proper home I'm sure the dog would be so grateful . Who knows, with proper care the dog might be perfectly fine!

Take Carmen up on her offer, she has a lot of experience and I'm sure she could help with some suggestions as well. Find a good vet to guide you as well

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm with Carmspack and Gatorbytes ... it's a LOT of work, and won't be cheap, but if you have the patience and time to put into this dog, I'm sure the rewards will come back a thousand fold ...

Make sure you guys do lots of research on the breed though, and try not to get scared off LOL ... they can be a trying breed, but let me tell you ... once they are under your skin, they are there for life!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I want to caution you, it sounds like you are pretty convinced this is a diet issue, when in reality they've already spent the money (which is hundreds of $$ usually) to allergy test, and they are enviornmental allergies.

That is NOT to say that a good/better diet and/or supplements may not help the dog somewhat, but so many people think allergy issues are an immediate sign of diet, when in reality the vast majority of them - like with people - are envioronment related.

The peeing and pooping is likely a house training issue because the dog is crated all the time and stressed, and/or because it's crated all the time and has no freedom, and therefore has lost what housetraining it had previously.

Allergies can usually be managed, sometimes easier than others. It will not be inexpensive though. Expect to spend a good chunk of money on a proper diagnosis, unless you are comfortable with their vets dx and can get the list of the allergies. Then you'll have to pay for maintenance shots to help keep the allergies at bay. Is your house carpeted? Are you prepared for potentially big messes early on in housetraining? Are you familar with common house training methods? Is the dog crate trained, which means it will settle in a crate and not potty in the crate? If the dog is pottying in the crate, you will have your work cut out for you. That is a VERY VERY difficult problem to break in an adult dog.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Rerun is right. Only some 10% of allergies are food allergies.
A good diet and all may help some but if the dog is allergic to other things in the home, there's going to be a lot more to it than just diet.

I will say that some dogs blossom on love and better food, alone. Just be aware that if you take the dog, do not expect diet to fix all.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pollen related allergies may be able to be controlled with local raw honey. A teaspoon per day helped my dog. Dust is going to be a harder one to control. I suspect this would have to be a multifaceted approach based on the allergy testing results.

I agree with Rerun...most allergies are not food related but environmental. And not every environmental allergy has a "fix" to it as simple as raw honey.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.