Please help - desperate - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

All of this information has been very helpful. I was thinking food would help some, but from the allergy tests, it's sounded like there were environmental issues too. The dog does not soil in his crate, just when he is out. Since we don't have the experience with the breed and bringing a dog in makes me nervous with the cats (who aren't used to dogs) and costs to treat the problems, is there a rescue who would take him in? I know rescues have their hands full with lots of other animals so im not sure if that is an option. Not really sure what to do, he is a good dog, just seems like some lifelong issues and not a very good life thus far.
PotentialGSDowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Doubters -- shhh -- I have done this so many times , seriously , working with shelters , rescues . Just the other day a person who had tried the supplements was so amazed at the radical and rapid , within days changes , that she ran to the person who sold her the supplements with proof -- over $2,000 in vet bills for this last last year with no change and no hope. There was a forum member with chronic (and vet attended) staph infection which prevented him from spaying her . Another forum member found a dog in pretty sad shape in a ditch and that dog was brought around. I have the before and after. Done it so many times. I am not here to sell - or convince - just give some facts.

I have a soft spot for animals that have run out of options and will gladly help see their way to better health - no cost .

that is my offer -
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Doubters -- shhh -- I have done this so many times , seriously , working with shelters , rescues . Just the other day a person who had tried the supplements was so amazed at the radical and rapid , within days changes , that she ran to the person who sold her the supplements with proof -- over $2,000 in vet bills for this last last year with no change and no hope. There was a forum member with chronic (and vet attended) staph infection which prevented him from spaying her . Another forum member found a dog in pretty sad shape in a ditch and that dog was brought around. I have the before and after. Done it so many times. I am not here to sell - or convince - just give some facts.

I have a soft spot for animals that have run out of options and will gladly help see their way to better health - no cost .

that is my offer -
Feedsentials?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

WOW ... take Carmspack up on that offer!!!!!! Besides, you have NOTHING to lose!!!

That is an amazing offer Carmspack!

I'm certainly no doubter ... I've experienced it myself with my animals ...
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

This OP is right; there's far more that goes into the decision than the health aspect.
I would recommend you get in contact with the rescue, offer to foster the dog if all pans out.
That way you have the backing of a rescue, and it could work out that the dog is cat-safe, and can be helped by diet and TLC.

Try going on Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder and on the left side, search for rescues local to you. You can try All breed rescues as well as GSD specific ones.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
It really helps to know where you are located.
State and/or town?
If you get a chance to go up to the User CP (in narrow black band along the top) and put your general location it will show up with each and every post like my Poconos stuff.

If you are willing to take it on, I say try it with the dog. Make sure you do take the crate and set the pup up to succeed by realizing it will initially be alot of work and maybe clean up.

There are many people with dogs with allergies on the board, so they can help. Just being consistant with exercise, love and feeding should be a huge help after just a week or so.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I rescued a dog who had huge bald spots on his body and lick granulomas. He was under the care of an expensive dermatologist, special prescription diet, allergy testing, the works, nothing helped.

Whe he arrived, I switched him to raw chicken, thought it cannot hurt. Two weeks on raw chicken - I could not find the lick granulomas. The hair on his legs was growing in. After all the expensive treatments, the raw chicken took care off the problem. I just kept him on good food.

This example shows that sometimes expensive vets, treatments etc. do not solve the problem. Natural, healthy food did.

I suspect it was the preservatives and additives in the dog food that bothered my dog. He also had ear infections that cleared up with the new diet. He also got the Nupro supplement.

The solution can but it does not have to be expensive. Why not give the poor dog a chance?
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

As someone who uses Carmspacks products I can tell you they produce amazing results. My dog has been on her products for about Six months and the problems I dealt with before that have disappeared.

My dog had extremely bad Staph infections over and over, continuous trips to the Vet and Dermatologist where they wanted her on antibiotics, steroids, creams over and over, wanted her changed to the crap food they sell and taken off the raw diet, $7200.00 spent in the previous 12 months before starting Carmens products..( I don't want to add up the bills for the year before that..LOL). Within a few weeks she cleared right up and have had no problems since then. I highly recommend taking Carmen up on her offer, it is very generous. If I knew how to post pics
I would post some of her Staph infections to show how bad they were.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am not a doubter, but I AM a realist. The OP sounds wary of the situation in the first place, and they have reason to be IMHO. I have done rescue for many many years, well over a decade and the vast majority of those dogs were GSD's (though certainly not all). I have had a lot of very sick very malnurished dogs come through my house, and allergies are just the worst to deal with in a dog that has a lot of them.

I am not a believer that a supplement or two fixes everything, and sure it's a great offer but what happens if (when) the supplement doesn't work? OP is still stuck with the dog, now likely bonded to it, and going to be out a lot of money. I am not saying not the give the dog a chance, but I AM saying not the give the dog a chance if OP isn't prepared for all that may come with it.

Best case scenario - they get the dog, love on it, dog snuggles with the cats at night, allergies are easily managed with diet, supplements, and allergy shots. Dog is housetrained quickly in their brand new house, doesn't have any behavioral issues that the owners haven't disclosed or don't know about due to not doing anything with the dog, taking it anywhere, etc. All ends well.

Worst case scenario - dogs allergies are out of control, not very manageable without a ton of effort and lots of money down the drain very quickly trying to find the right combination of everything, dog kills or terrorizes the cats who then start peeing all over the brand new house because they are so stressed, dog has weak nerves, reactive aggression behavior, nips, jumps, pulls on the leash, jumps the fence, marks and poops any chance they let it out of their sight for a second....

Just want OP to be prepared. They know the dog has issues. So are they ready to tackle any and all of them? I worry they aren't, given the nature of the original post and follow up post. There is no sense in the yeeha crowd convincing someone to take on a dog that they aren't ready to take on, issues and all.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

SO I would really like to at least give him a chance because there really is nothing to lose, but I'm definitely a little nervous. And I also contacted some rescues to see if they could help if it did not work out in the long run.

Carmspack - could you please let me know how I can take you up on your offer to try? Send me a private message if that is easiest.

Also, could you please let me know how to do the RAW diet? Do you have to buy the food special somewhere? I'm a little confused on how it actually works and where you need to buy the food. AND switching to a RAW diet - do I do it gradually? Or do you just switch immediately?

Also CATS, the dog seems ok with cats, but he is a little hyper (probably because he is caged/never gets exercise). One of my cats is very outgoing and should be fine quickly. The other one would probably take a little while, but should come around eventually. But any tips?

Since the dog does not soil in the crate, we could leave him crated while at work and just pay attention to him while we are home to try to re-train him. Any links or sources to look at to help with this? Should I also look into obedience training?

You guys have been great so I will definitely keep coming back for more tips and keep you posted. Any additional information in the mean time will be very appreciated.
PotentialGSDowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.