Sudden bad breath in young dog - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cstout - I know the discussion has turned to whether their teeth should be brushed or not and is about to be badly sidetracked but I would still be concerned about the combination of bad breath and lethargy. Bad breath can be a sign of many things gone wrong internally. For instance, my daughter's was caused by acid reflux caused by gall stones. It's the lethargy that I'm concerned about and would definitely get a vet visit. The vet might spot something in his mouth that is causing it that we, as lay people, may miss.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

Couldn't bad breath be a kidney issue?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
Couldn't bad breath be a kidney issue?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Yeah, that was the original direction both Jax and I were questioning
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

The dog needs to see a vet...but kidney's wouldn't make the breath smell like fish.

There's a possibility the dog is licking anal glands, too, which could make the breath smell "fishy".
Either way, sort it out @ the vet.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thank you for the responses. He had the previous sickness months ago and finished the antibiotics months ago. So, im not really thinking it has anything to do with the antibiotics wearing off. But, im concerned that maybe what he had before if it was something serious is starting to come back. I am worried that its a kidney issue. When he was sick the vet said he showed low kidney function on his blood results. I didn't know if it was an issue or just something caused by the infection he had. He seems very chipper today, way more energy but still stinky breath. And I learned recently that licking of the chops means pain, and he does lick his chops while urinating. Im thinking I need to get him in for a checkup and definitely get a urine sample done. Could he just have a kidney infection? Or is it more likely he could have kidney failure? I know you guys can't diagnose, but maybe you've got some more knowledge than I do you can share with me. Thanks so much.
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Only the vet can answer that...hopefully you can get him in tomorrow?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstout View Post
When he was sick the vet said he showed low kidney function on his blood results. I didn't know if it was an issue or just something caused by the infection he had.
When at the vet, ask about CREA and BUN levels. Did they do phosphorus and calcium levels? I'm really surprised the vet did not follow up with this.

It could have been caused by the infection if he had a UTI. But it can also be caused by infection that is systematic in the body. Which is one reason the vets are pushing dental cleanings. We have a Boxer with CRF (chronic renal failure) from bad teeth because the kidney have to work so hard to process the poison in the body.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstout View Post
Thank you for the responses. He had the previous sickness months ago and finished the antibiotics months ago. So, im not really thinking it has anything to do with the antibiotics wearing off. But, im concerned that maybe what he had before if it was something serious is starting to come back. I am worried that its a kidney issue. When he was sick the vet said he showed low kidney function on his blood results. I didn't know if it was an issue or just something caused by the infection he had. He seems very chipper today, way more energy but still stinky breath. And I learned recently that licking of the chops means pain, and he does lick his chops while urinating. Im thinking I need to get him in for a checkup and definitely get a urine sample done. Could he just have a kidney infection? Or is it more likely he could have kidney failure? I know you guys can't diagnose, but maybe you've got some more knowledge than I do you can share with me. Thanks so much.
Fishy breath IS an early warning sign - sweet or ammonia smelling would already mean diabetes.

Now this has been indicated in blood panel prior so yes - get him checked out - it could just be an infection re: peeing and licking chops.
It may have been a result of infection or treatment (re: blood work ref.)
Good luck, hope your doggie is well
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.