German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Diarrhea, no other symptoms (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/194950-diarrhea-no-other-symptoms.html)

Miasmommy 11-23-2012 02:25 PM

Diarrhea, no other symptoms

I changed my dog's food recently and now that she's completely on this food, she is getting diarrhea. She has NO other symptoms. She's eating, drinking water, playful, she's not running a fever, her gums are fine, and she doesn't vomit. I suspect the food, should I wean her back onto what she was eating? I mean it was a cheap food she was on (we finished out what her last owners gave us), but I wanted her on the same brand of food as my pug. It started 2 days after she switched to JUST the new food, but has been going on for three days. I am taking her to the vet regardless, but I just want some reassurance that she's okay before I go. :(

Sorry, we have only had her for a month so we're still getting to know her and I am just a worried mama.

msvette2u 11-23-2012 03:46 PM

What brands of old food/new food?

How old is the puppy? Has it been dewormed, etc?

KatsMuse 11-23-2012 04:11 PM

Could it be that maybe you switched her over too soon?

I generally take about a week of introducing new food gradually so as not to upset their system.

If concerned , I agree a vet check is in order.
:)

Miasmommy 11-23-2012 04:12 PM

She WAS on that basic Purina dry food for big dogs because that's what the last people had her on and I was trying to switch her to Wellness. Yes, she has been dewormed. She's going to be a year old in two weeks.

Miasmommy 11-23-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatsMuse (Post 2637312)
Could it be that maybe you switched her over too soon?

I generally take about a week of introducing new food gradually so as not to upset their system.

If concerned , I agree a vet check is in order.

From reading over her vet records, she has had giardiasis, which the previous owners never told me about. I had to go to her old vet and get the previous records myself because they "didn't have them" and denied anything was ever wrong with her, so it may be that she's still got it or was never fully cured. She is up to date on all her shots and I figured she's close enough to a year that she can get in her end of year visit (ALL my dogs get a bi-yearly check-up). So I had planned on a vet trip anyway, it just stinks knowing she's not feeling well and none of the vet clinics around me are open until Monday.

KatsMuse 11-23-2012 04:24 PM

I'm sorry she isn't feeling well...I'm a worry wart as well.
Hopefully she will feel better soon.
Keep us posted.
Kat

msvette2u 11-23-2012 04:32 PM

Coccidia can relapse with things like a food change.
I would assume giardia could too.

Some say coccidia never leaves, it stays in the digestive tract and rears it's ugly head when the dog has stress.

Go slower on the food change...and if purina didn't make her sick, keep her on it for a while and make double sure the giardia is fully gone, and that coccidia hasn't invaded.

Miasmommy 11-23-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvette2u (Post 2637326)
Coccidia can relapse with things like a food change.
I would assume giardia could too.

Some say coccidia never leaves, it stays in the digestive tract and rears it's ugly head when the dog has stress.

Go slower on the food change...and if purina didn't make her sick, keep her on it for a while and make double sure the giardia is fully gone, and that coccidia hasn't invaded.

See, this is why I came on here lol I will ask my vet about coccidia when we go. I already have her previous records on hand and ready to go to the vet with my list of questions.

msvette2u 11-23-2012 04:49 PM

It's tough because they can have symptoms and not be shedding the parasite.

We've treated for coccidia and giardia concurrently, and also have added fenbendazole with a stubborn diarrhea case.

GatorBytes 11-23-2012 05:05 PM

Rest the gut for 24 hrs. Feed her some home-made bone broth. Buy some slippery elm.

I am sure if you go to the vet saying hey do you think it's coccidia then he'll be happy to take your money.

Treat the cause. Giardia can remain dorment. If the dog had it before, likely has still.

Check Wellness facebook or website - they have recalls for big chunks of mold but decided not to advise the public saying their servers were down because of "Sandy"

Keep some Activated Charcoal on hand for bouts of diarrhea, give 2 (ususally 260mg.)

Also - deworm naturally with "food-grade" DE (diatamacious earth)...mix in food or plain yogurt or pumpkin. This will kill and eliminate parasites and it 90% silica which is good for the skin.