Diarrhea, no other symptoms - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
deworm naturally with "food-grade" DE (diatamacious earth)...mix in food or plain yogurt or pumpkin. This will kill and eliminate parasites
I have read that this doesn't always get worms, and they spend some time in the lungs so it couldn't get those.
Thing is - coccidia and giardia can take a huge toll on the body - you'll want to go to the vet for proper medications for those, veterinarians aren't all evil
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
GatorBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 2,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I have read that this doesn't always get worms, and they spend some time in the lungs so it couldn't get those.
Thing is - coccidia and giardia can take a huge toll on the body - you'll want to go to the vet for proper medications for those, veterinarians aren't all evil
That goes for medications too. The problem w/giardia is the hard cyst stage the protects them that meds. cannot penetrate. DE, can cut through these and the body disposes

What worms spend time in the lungs - flukes?
Giardia can live in the dog w/o causing distress, it's when the dog gets out of balance they proliferate...such as medications imparing the immune system.

You know the body has an ability to recognize and deal with foreign organisms.

OP - Also note, when you make a diet change try adding a digestive enzymes, this will help transition AND will break down the food (hydrolize), so there is less stress on the liver and pancreas. Also reduces inflammation in the body and nutrients are better assimalated. The change in diet/diarrhea may be related to the fat.

My dog has had many bouts of diarrhea and hasn't had a drug since Aug. 2008
__________________
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 11-23-2012 at 07:16 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fort Irwin
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
That goes for medications too. The problem w/giardia is the hard cyst stage the protects them that meds. cannot penetrate. DE, can cut through these and the body disposes

What worms spend time in the lungs - flukes?
Giardia can live in the dog w/o causing distress, it's when the dog gets out of balance they proliferate...such as medications imparing the immune system.

You know the body has an ability to recognize and deal with foreign organisms.

OP - Also note, when you make a diet change try adding a digestive enzymes, this will help transition AND will break down the food (hydrolize), so there is less stress on the liver and pancreas. Also reduces inflammation in the body and nutrients are better assimalated. The change in diet/diarrhea may be related to the fat.

My dog has had many bouts of diarrhea and hasn't had a drug since Aug. 2008
She's got a vet appointment on Monday, but I had someone pm and ask about the protein difference in the food and there is more protein in what I am trying to introduce to her, so maybe it was too much for her system. She's going on the bland diet over this weekend until she can get to the vet.
Miasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
GatorBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 2,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmommy View Post
She's got a vet appointment on Monday, but I had someone pm and ask about the protein difference in the food and there is more protein in what I am trying to introduce to her, so maybe it was too much for her system. She's going on the bland diet over this weekend until she can get to the vet.
Well dogs are inherant protein eaters. This myth about too much protien was likely started by Ralston Purina himself so he could sell floor sweepings as dog food.

If your dog cannot digest protien, then that is do to an enzyme deficiency and/or an a gut that is too alkaline - dogs stomach should be 6.5. Carbohydrate diets alkalize the gut - this leads to the proliferation of microbes and bacteria and diarrhea.
The senistive tummy issue is because of eating denatured food that is devoid of enzymes and essential amino acids.

Pancreatin d-zymes will assist in protein and fat metabolism
__________________
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fort Irwin
Posts: 14
Default

Well, if anyone is still reading this, Mia was put on the bland diet for 2 and a half days and yesterday evening had no runny mess. This morning, everything was solid and looked normal, so I'm going to re-introduce her old food. She IS still going to the vet because it's just that time of year and I'm still going to ask questions, but I think she might have just had a problem with that food.

It's alright to have the dogs on two different brands, I suppose. The food she's on right now, my dad's two golden retrievers were on and they both lived long lives (one was 14 and one was 16), so maybe it's not all bad I'm just glad to have two days of not having to bust out the swiffer
Miasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
What worms spend time in the lungs - flukes?
Study the life-cycle of roundworms
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmommy View Post
Well, if anyone is still reading this, Mia was put on the bland diet for 2 and a half days and yesterday evening had no runny mess. This morning, everything was solid and looked normal, so I'm going to re-introduce her old food. She IS still going to the vet because it's just that time of year and I'm still going to ask questions, but I think she might have just had a problem with that food.

It's alright to have the dogs on two different brands, I suppose. The food she's on right now, my dad's two golden retrievers were on and they both lived long lives (one was 14 and one was 16), so maybe it's not all bad I'm just glad to have two days of not having to bust out the swiffer
i subscribe to the school of thought that the best food for a dog is the one that he/she eats and tolerates well. it wouldn't upset me if what i feed my dog wasn't the top shelf latest and greatest.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fort Irwin
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i subscribe to the school of thought that the best food for a dog is the one that he/she eats and tolerates well. it wouldn't upset me if what i feed my dog wasn't the top shelf latest and greatest.
I'm starting to think that's how it's gotta be lol I would rather she eats and feels well than eats and feels like she's sick
Miasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i subscribe to the school of thought that the best food for a dog is the one that he/she eats and tolerates well. it wouldn't upset me if what i feed my dog wasn't the top shelf latest and greatest.
I agree.

Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com