question about Parvo - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #41 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

No, all vets are not evil. I have a great one who has accepted my vaccination protocol because he knows that I don't approach anything without doing lot of research. IMO more owners need to research and figure out what is best for their dogs instead of blindly following what they are told (by vets, message boards, etc).
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dr Dodds is a vet , world renowned for her research DODDS-RESUME

and Dr. Jean Dodds Biagraphy

who has made significant contributions to changes in Veterinary vaccination protocols .
recognized and awarded by her peers .

Vets need to keep updated in their education and that education should not be given by some pharma rep showing up in their clinic with a briefcase , glossy promo material and samples -- and incentives .
Teachers have professional development days -- need to recertify , need to sit through summer school to get extra stuff on their "ticket" .

We need to be informed and active participants in health care .
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The Business end...By the DVM360

How to Play offence in the pharmacutical marketplace

Don’t blame Betty White. Don’t throw your hands up in despair. Stop playing defense and start playing the pharmaceutical sales game by your rules. Fritz Wood, CPA, CFP, says veterinarians must play offense to realize their revenue potential and gain home field advantage over retail pharmacies.

The rules of the game have changed quickly and dramatically. Medications are no longer exclusive to veterinarians, big-box stores discount prices, and the weak economy makes client compliance for things like heartworm prevention a hard pill to swallow. Despite all that, Wood says clinics can do a better job of selling products--to stay healthy financially, they must. “Generally speaking, products sales are at least 25 to 30 percent of your business and businesses aren’t in a position to give up and lose a quarter or a third of their business,” Wood says. “The only alternative is they have to defend their business--even grow it.”

That’s why every team member must be involved--the veterinarian can’t do it alone. “You have to look at each of those touch points and ask, ‘What do we want to happen here.’” Woods thinks conversations on products usually happen randomly, not intentionally. A recommendation and compliance cannot be achieved with one suggestion. “It has to be reinforced probably multiple times, by multiple people, probably by multiple media,” he says.

Marketing the message
That means not only talking with clients, but actively advertising and promoting too. Wood says to make banners and signs; send emails and reminders; display products and deals--address medications when clients come through the door. And regardless of price, always keep the message about standard of care. It’s not just about selling a product; it’s about healthy pets. Wood even suggests providing videos of heartworm removal. “Show them what non-compliance looks like.”

The value of veterinary expertise
He says veterinarians can keep it about wellness by avoiding the feeling of retail--like having the receptionist offer the medication as a client is leaving the office. “If the doc puts the product on the table in the exam room--that’s medical.” And that translates to the client.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

With all due respect, the link I always provide is directly from a Veterinary teaching hospital. I doubt they listen to sales reps when developing their vaccine protocol, but rather through intensive research.

Community Practice Vaccination Protocols from the College of Veterinary Medicine

They are one of the top veterinary colleges in the country - and are always researching to find out better ways to do things, including vaccinate.

I'm amused some folks seem to think WSU walks on water for their leading MDR1 genetic testing protocol, but poo-poo their vaccine protocols
The discovery of the mutation of the multi-drug resistant gene (mdr1), establishment of testing procedures, and development of all reagents was made by Washington State University.
Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Lab at the College of Veterinary Medicine

I, myself prefer a middle ground...between "never vaccinate" and "vaccinate every year"

And the fact WSU pioneered the MDR1 genetic testing is awesome.
GO COUGS!!!!
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not to mention the fact that they won the Apple Cup finally, heh.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Not to mention the fact that they won the Apple Cup finally, heh.
I know, right!????
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dr Dodds is a vet , world renowned for her research DODDS-RESUME

and Dr. Jean Dodds Biagraphy

who has made significant contributions to changes in Veterinary vaccination protocols .
recognized and awarded by her peers .

Vets need to keep updated in their education and that education should not be given by some pharma rep showing up in their clinic with a briefcase , glossy promo material and samples -- and incentives .
Teachers have professional development days -- need to recertify , need to sit through summer school to get extra stuff on their "ticket" .

We need to be informed and active participants in health care , be empowered, ask the questions, not just follow along compliant and obedient .

Here is a current issue with a vaccination for humans . Radio on while driving . News comes on and the reporter says that there is a recall for 2012 flu vaccine due to some contamination with foreign particles --- so if you have not received your shot - hold off ---- oh but if you have already had your shot don't worry you SHOULD be okay -- WHAT?
Health Canada pulls distribution of Novartis flu vaccines - Health - CBC News
carmspack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Here is a current issue with a vaccination for humans . Radio on while driving . News comes on and the reporter says that there is a recall for 2012 flu vaccine due to some contamination with foreign particles --- so if you have not received your shot - hold off ---- oh but if you have already had your shot don't worry you SHOULD be okay -- WHAT?
Health Canada pulls distribution of Novartis flu vaccines - Health - CBC News
And doctors wonder why we dont trust big pharma with my kids lives! "Oh this one, it has mercury in it... but that wont do anything"??!!?! Are they sure??? Cause I dont believe them.

Last edited by Narny; 11-24-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Narny is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lets not forget the steroid pain management injection that was contaminated with fungus causing menengitis and 20 deaths in humans...just this past sept./oct.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear's mommy View Post
I thought I picked my pup out at 8 weeks. After getting him home, settled down and then counted the weeks, he was only 6 weeks. He received his first shot at 6 weeks. I took him in for a scheduled vacination visit, upon the Vet said to make the appointment. The eye check was his concern but then he clarified it at the next visit.

I want the best for my pup and so I am leaving this website because I had a simple questions and some of the response were great. Some were just talk.

So I will not post anymore, nor check out stuff on the is website. I am sorry for this blowing up to such a stinkin big deal.

I will warn others if I hear they are signing up for this website.

I personally don't care how long Carmstock has had dogs for how long. Her statements were not necessary. Nor did I appreciate them, I have had that experience once already on this site. So I learned my lesson. I will find out things some other way.

Thanks
I would not get too worked up about the posts. Some can be blunt, but I think people are trying to put out as much useful information as possible without the fluff, which may appear harsh sometimes. I would read Carmspack's posts again. When you are experiencing a problem with your pup, She is one of the members you'll hope will respond.
Nigel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.