German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

question about Parvo

8K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  GatorBytes 
#1 ·
My GSD is now 8 weeks old, he has had 2 of his puppy shots. The vet said for ne not to take him to the dog park in town or basically walk in areas that is busy with humans/animals. But does anyone know if taking Bear for a walk down the street? I would like to do more than just give him exercise in our yard. But unsure what to do. Yes I will call the vet tomorrow but would like some feedback.

#39 ·
Maybe...but I just found out my vet still follows the "vaccinate once a year"
philosophy, (I didn't vax my old lab except for rabies) and he WENT AND GRADUATED from WSU (years ago). :confused:

Needless to say, I will follow the 3 year advice, until Rocket is old enough I don't believe he's at risk. Meaning....some times, you need to follow your own gut, not the vet. We've all seen horror stories of "bad" vets on here.

#38 ·
Okay, I had the same problem with this website.. a lot of drama, rude post, etc.. but this website, all in all, is very informative. If you go on google, look up parvo in dogs they will give you the symptoms, how to treat it and how the pup will/got parvo.

You can also look on YouTube , parvo in pups! There is this real nice video with a vet and a pup.. its really informative!

I can tell you LOVE bear. You are giving him shots at whatever age blah blah! You want whats best and you will try everything in your power to do whats best! Cant get over the fact that you had such a young young pup! But now that he is 8 weeks, just keep a watch on him. Dont get too worried or sad about somethings you see because like humans, we all go thru some change and maturity.
And trust me! The internet is chaotic. . . You can think one thing of your pup, look on the internet and find out its something really bad, get scared but in the long run you were worried about nothin! Thats why I dont take much seriousness towards internet.. your vet should know what he/s is doing so leave the decisions up to them : )

Im so sorry for you lost.. I recently lost my grandmom.. its life and we all have to understand that though its so hard.

Good luck with little bear!

#40 ·
3 years/5 way vaccines :thumbup:
(well, and the rabies)

Unless you're really at risk for lepto ;)

I know about the horror stories, but all vets are not evil. It's not fair at all, or balanced, to say they are.

#41 ·
No, all vets are not evil. I have a great one who has accepted my vaccination protocol because he knows that I don't approach anything without doing lot of research. IMO more owners need to research and figure out what is best for their dogs instead of blindly following what they are told (by vets, message boards, etc).

#42 ·
Dr Dodds is a vet , world renowned for her research DODDS-RESUME

and Dr. Jean Dodds Biagraphy

who has made significant contributions to changes in Veterinary vaccination protocols .
recognized and awarded by her peers .

Vets need to keep updated in their education and that education should not be given by some pharma rep showing up in their clinic with a briefcase , glossy promo material and samples -- and incentives .
Teachers have professional development days -- need to recertify , need to sit through summer school to get extra stuff on their "ticket" .

We need to be informed and active participants in health care .

#43 ·
The Business end...By the DVM360

How to Play offence in the pharmacutical marketplace

Don’t blame Betty White. Don’t throw your hands up in despair. Stop playing defense and start playing the pharmaceutical sales game by your rules. Fritz Wood, CPA, CFP, says veterinarians must play offense to realize their revenue potential and gain home field advantage over retail pharmacies.

The rules of the game have changed quickly and dramatically. Medications are no longer exclusive to veterinarians, big-box stores discount prices, and the weak economy makes client compliance for things like heartworm prevention a hard pill to swallow. Despite all that, Wood says clinics can do a better job of selling products--to stay healthy financially, they must. “Generally speaking, products sales are at least 25 to 30 percent of your business and businesses aren’t in a position to give up and lose a quarter or a third of their business,” Wood says. “The only alternative is they have to defend their business--even grow it.”

That’s why every team member must be involved--the veterinarian can’t do it alone. “You have to look at each of those touch points and ask, ‘What do we want to happen here.’” Woods thinks conversations on products usually happen randomly, not intentionally. A recommendation and compliance cannot be achieved with one suggestion. “It has to be reinforced probably multiple times, by multiple people, probably by multiple media,” he says.

Marketing the message
That means not only talking with clients, but actively advertising and promoting too. Wood says to make banners and signs; send emails and reminders; display products and deals--address medications when clients come through the door. And regardless of price, always keep the message about standard of care. It’s not just about selling a product; it’s about healthy pets. Wood even suggests providing videos of heartworm removal. “Show them what non-compliance looks like.”

The value of veterinary expertise
He says veterinarians can keep it about wellness by avoiding the feeling of retail--like having the receptionist offer the medication as a client is leaving the office. “If the doc puts the product on the table in the exam room--that’s medical.” And that translates to the client.

#44 ·
With all due respect, the link I always provide is directly from a Veterinary teaching hospital. I doubt they listen to sales reps when developing their vaccine protocol, but rather through intensive research.

Community Practice Vaccination Protocols from the College of Veterinary Medicine

They are one of the top veterinary colleges in the country - and are always researching to find out better ways to do things, including vaccinate.

I'm amused some folks seem to think WSU walks on water for their leading MDR1 genetic testing protocol, but poo-poo their vaccine protocols :smirk:
The discovery of the mutation of the multi-drug resistant gene (mdr1), establishment of testing procedures, and development of all reagents was made by Washington State University.
Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Lab at the College of Veterinary Medicine

I, myself prefer a middle ground...between "never vaccinate" and "vaccinate every year" :thumbup:

And the fact WSU pioneered the MDR1 genetic testing is awesome.
GO COUGS!!!!

#47 ·
Dr Dodds is a vet , world renowned for her research DODDS-RESUME

and Dr. Jean Dodds Biagraphy

who has made significant contributions to changes in Veterinary vaccination protocols .
recognized and awarded by her peers .

Vets need to keep updated in their education and that education should not be given by some pharma rep showing up in their clinic with a briefcase , glossy promo material and samples -- and incentives .
Teachers have professional development days -- need to recertify , need to sit through summer school to get extra stuff on their "ticket" .

We need to be informed and active participants in health care , be empowered, ask the questions, not just follow along compliant and obedient .

Here is a current issue with a vaccination for humans . Radio on while driving . News comes on and the reporter says that there is a recall for 2012 flu vaccine due to some contamination with foreign particles --- so if you have not received your shot - hold off ---- oh but if you have already had your shot don't worry you SHOULD be okay -- WHAT?
Health Canada pulls distribution of Novartis flu vaccines - Health - CBC News

#48 · (Edited)
Here is a current issue with a vaccination for humans . Radio on while driving . News comes on and the reporter says that there is a recall for 2012 flu vaccine due to some contamination with foreign particles --- so if you have not received your shot - hold off ---- oh but if you have already had your shot don't worry you SHOULD be okay -- WHAT?
Health Canada pulls distribution of Novartis flu vaccines - Health - CBC News
And doctors wonder why we dont trust big pharma with my kids lives! "Oh this one, it has mercury in it... but that wont do anything"??!!?! Are they sure??? Cause I dont believe them.

#49 ·
Lets not forget the steroid pain management injection that was contaminated with fungus causing menengitis and 20 deaths in humans...just this past sept./oct.

#51 ·
To me, that's hardly an indication of how legit pharmaceutical companies run; it is unfortunate, but that company was operating outside of what was legal.

And just as many issues can arise with "natural" drugs.

One huge reason I would not use "homeopathy" in my dogs is the fact that dogs are not small humans with fur.
They are different species...well, technically, an "order" but they are definitely different and the way they metabolize drugs vs. how humans metabolize them is why I'd never tinker with many homeopath drugs meant for humans.

For example;
Raisins - healthy for humans, deadly to dogs.
Onions - deadly while we eat them without harm.
Xylitol - healthy for humans, excellent for human dental health, yet deadly to dogs.
Ivermectin - safe for many dogs and even humans yet deadly to some breeds of dogs. Along that same line, immodium is toxic to those dogs sensitive to ivermectin.
Tea Tree Oil - extremely toxic to dogs (I've seen people recommend this for dogs, thinking it's safe!)
Chocolate -toxic to dogs in large or concentrated forms, we eat it without harm
Avocados -toxic to many pets, not just dogs.
Hops -used in beer making but has killed dogs, even one on this board.
Ibuprofen -anti-inflammatory safe for humans, will kill dogs (many other meds as well)

The list goes on - Toxic Foods and Plants for Dogs

Meanwhile many of the natural/homeopathic things are given to humans safely, while no studies involved animals.

So...of the two, I'd stick with a vet, where studies have been performed for decades, over a health food store designed for people and not the unique needs and processing capabilities of animals.

#53 ·
Some homeo is okay. There's many many more formulations that are untested (on dogs) and designed for humans. Some of those many indeed cause kidney or liver damage, or damage to blood cells.
If people think twice, and do their research even more often, that's fine.

#55 ·
Yes, I do.
My point is, there's dozens of things safe for humans that cause illness in dogs, and even death.
So be careful when tossing homeopathic remedies down a dogs throat that are tested and used and created for humans and not dogs.

To do so without double checking and triple checking and even asking your vet (!!!) would be "utterly nonsensical".

Yet it's recommended and condoned while veterinary care is shunned :confused:

Dogs are not small humans with fur.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/2011/07/home-remedies-vets-love-and-hate/

#56 ·
I'm going to dive into this thread ... after having read the whole thing.

There is a difference between homeopathic, holistic and alternative / natural medicines.

Definition of Homeopathic Medicine
Definition: Homeopathic medicine is a form of alternative medicine that uses very small amounts of natural substances, which in higher amounts would cause a disease. The theory behind this form of medicine is that "like cures like," and that a substance that causes an illness in a healthy person might cure those symptoms in someone who is ill.
Homeopathic medicine differs from allopathic (or mainstream, conventional) medicine, which uses agents (medicines, chemotherapy, surgery, etc.) that produce a different effect than the disease.

What Is Holistic Medicine?
What Is Holistic Medicine?

Holistic Medicine is defined by the Canadian Holistic Medical Association as follows.

• Holistic medicine is a system of health care which fosters a cooperative relationship among all those involved, leading towards optimal attainment of the physical, mental emotional, social and spiritual aspects of health.

It emphasizes the need to look at the whole person, including analysis of physical, nutritional, environmental, emotional, social, spiritual and lifestyle values. It encompasses all stated modalities of diagnosis and treatment including drugs and surgery if no safe alternative exists. Holistic medicine focuses on education and responsibility for personal efforts to achieve balance and well being.
Suzan Walter, President of the American Holistic Health Association (AHHA), put together an excellent summary of the principals of Holistic Health. The summary can be found on the AHHA Web Page. For those unfamiliar with Holistic Medicine, I strongly encourage reading this short summary.

Other Terms Associated with Holistic Medicine

Alternative Medicine is often used by the general public and some healthcare practitioners to refer to medical techniques which are not known or accepted by the majority "conventional" or "allopathic" medical practitioners (usually M.D.'s). Such techniques could include non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical techniques such as Medical Herbalism, Acupunture, Homeopathy, Reiki, and many others. However, the term Alternative Medicine can also refer to any experimental drug or non-drug technique that is not currently accepted by "conventional" medical practitioners. As non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical techniques become popular and accepted by large number of "conventional" practitioners, these techniques will no longer be considered Alternative Medicine.

Alternative Medicine refers to techniques that are not currently accepted by "conventional" practitioners, but what is currently accepted is quickly changing. Even the definition of "conventional practitioners" is quickly changing. Therefore, techniques that are now considered part of Alternative Medicine will soon be considered part of "conventional" medicine. The terms Holistic Healing and Holistic Medicine are slightly more stable than Alternative Medicine and are therefore preferable.

• Complementary Medicine is often used by "conventional" medical practitioners to refer to non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical techniques used as a complement to "conventional" medical treatments such as drugs and surgery. The term implies that "conventional" medicine is used as a primary tool and the non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical techniques are used as a supplement when needed.

In many cases, properly chosen non-invasive and non-pharmaceutical healing techniques plus properly chosen lifestyle changes can completely and safely heal both acute and chronic illnesses. In other cases, "conventional" medicine is only needed in emergencies or when the safer non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical methods fail. In some cases "conventional" medicine will be a major part of a Holistic Healing Plan, but in some cases it is not needed at all.
  • Natural Healing usually refers to the use of non-invasive and non-pharmaceuticals techniques to help heal the patient. When most people use the term Natural Healing, they are usually referring to physical healing techniques only.
After losing two cats, a dog and 3 ferrets to "modern veterinary medicine", I started searching high and low for a better way to treat my animals.

I use the holistic method - the WHOLE of the being. I use this for myself and for all of my animals. I have found a huge difference in myself since I quit eating processed foods, don't drink and exercise regularly. And by processed foods, I mean, I eat nothing that comes out of a container / box / package. I have one exception ... one coffee a day.

I feed my animals the same way ... and I use a holistic approach to "heal" my animals. I use minimal to no vaccines and ALL of my animals are extremely healthy.

One of my cats became diabetic from eating commercial cat food RECOMMENDED by the vet. He almost died following "modern" medication. I switched to home made food, and holistic healing and his diabetes was reversed and he was healthier than he had ever been.

My last dog was raw fed, had one set of vaccines in her life (as a puppy, at different times). She was titered at age 3 ... still fine, no vaccines needed. I brought her in at age 6.5 to have her titered again. My vet was on holidays, no problem, have the techs draw the blood and send it out. While they were drawing blood for titers a vet VACCINATED her b/c she was "unvaccinated".

She died in my arms 24 hours later, in convulsions, on the way back to the vet.

There are awesome vets and there are horrible vets. I've certainly run into my share of both.

There is "modern medicine" and then there is medicine that has been around for thousands of years. That "old" medicine has helped "mankind" and animals for a lot more years than new technology has. New medicine certainly has its benefits. A torn ACL can be surgically repaired and the dog back in shape in 6 months, there are many other examples.

BUT ... with the crappy commercial food that people are feeding their dogs, the over vaccination that goes on constantly - the amount of toxins that are dumped into a dog ... and people wonder why our dogs are sicker now than they were 50 years ago?

What's changed? The only answer I have - vaccines and food ... and neither of them are for the better. People are fatter than they used to be, less exercise, eat more junk food than they are supposed to, eat more processed food ... and people as a whole are worse off health wise than we were 50 years ago. And yet, we've done the same thing to our pets.

Holistic medicine treats the WHOLE ... not just the "problem" ... modern medicine treats the problem, and forgets about the root. That is the MAJOR difference.

#60 ·
My last dog was raw fed, had one set of vaccines in her life (as a puppy, at different times). She was titered at age 3 ... still fine, no vaccines needed. I brought her in at age 6.5 to have her titered again. My vet was on holidays, no problem, have the techs draw the blood and send it out. While they were drawing blood for titers a vet VACCINATED her b/c she was "unvaccinated".

She died in my arms 24 hours later, in convulsions, on the way back to the vet.
I don't have any real valuable info for the OP to add to this discussion other than our vet advised limited activity outside until he was fully vaccinated as well. We did follow their advice and did start socializing Jake with friends and family when we first got him. We did introduce him to my parents dog at 9 weeks old, but they've had Patches for 12 years and we know and trust that she was healthy and vaccinated.

I've turned to the internet and forums like this for help with our Jake over the last 8 months. I've learned if you ask for advice, you will receive differing advice and opinions. As a responsible pet owner I take that information, do additional research and talk it over with my vet to try and make the best informed decision I can. I'm lucky that the help and advice from another forum helped us determine what Jake's issue was and it wasn't anything our vet had thought about. But our vet listened and read the information I brought and was willing to work with us and now Jake is a healthy 70 pound 10 month of GSD. There is a lot lost in only using the written word to communicate and I've found some people can come off a little harsh when posting, but on the other hand some people are overly sensitive. I'd like to think at the end of the day we are all here because we love our dogs and want them to be happy and healthy.

And Kyleigh, how horrific and tragic what happened to your dog. I'd be furious if this happened to me. I don't blame you one bit for not trusting vets.

#57 ·
I'm very fortunate to have found a vet who's allopathic (mainstream) and also schooled in homeopathy. I'm trying alternative medicine on this puppy for the same reason that I'm trying different training techniques. Long term, if I'm not satisfied, I can always go back to the 'tried and true' methods. But I'm thinking that if he can avoid abx, then he's better off. Maybe not, but my vet thinks it's worth a shot.

#58 ·
trying to help the OP . My first posts were for the purpose of fact finding , getting more information on the situation with her dog and why it had two vaccinations so young . It is obvious that this person is caring . Feels there is an eye-problem , does not let it slide , takes the time and expense to consult a vet . Looking for the best.

I do not , did not fault her.

My issue was with the vet . In my opinion he took advantage .

That is why I said to the OP , "two sets of shots -- slow down , enjoy the pup , don't over worry and create problems "

Because in my opinion the services that were provided , no more so the services yet to come , would create a problem that may not show itself till mid-age .

It is early days yet - and the pup - who apparently had a shaky start -- can achieve good and abundant health, if well nurished , which is more than well fed .

If the dog is sound in its temperament it will be totally fine and sound if it has a good association with ONE person . These are the findings in the Bar Harbour studies where experiments were done with deprevation of social contact and with flooding and with minimal. That ONE person sort of represents humanity .

If the dog is less than solid , then flooding it with environmental and social stimulation will stress it . Give the dog reason to be confident with you and the household then move out in slow toe-in-the-water increments , not the through the dog into the water and swim for your life to dry ground .

To add to the discussion on vaccinations I hope to find a published article going back to 1990 , quoting a top British research scientist who challenged the on-lable recommendations and the philosophy of needing boostering .

so tell us about this pup .

#59 ·
Kyleigh, I appreciated your detailed explanation :)

and people as a whole are worse off health wise than we were 50 years ago. And yet, we've done the same thing to our pets.
This isn't really true - well, maybe some are worse off, but people today live longer than ever. In my family, my great Grandma died at age 70ish. My grandma is going on 90 and still alive. 50 yrs. ago she'd have passed away at 70, as well, but modern medicine came about and has literally saved her life.
My grandpa is alive, too, having had a pacemaker implanted some 8 yrs. ago. He'd have died 50yrs. ago, as well, but again, modern medicine changed all that.

There was a time when distemper was the scourge of the land. Thanks to vaccines and herd immunity, it's no longer the huge threat it once was.
Rabies was a killer of domesticated dogs as well, and it's all but eradicated in pet populations.
Vaccines are not useless, not by a long shot.

I'm sorry you had the negative experience, but we've vaccinated over 150 dogs per year (plus our own) for the past 10yrs. now and never had a negative experience such as that. I know lepto can cause issues, we don't use that and recommend our adopters to not do it either.

#61 ·
There was a time when distemper was the scourge of the land. Thanks to vaccines and herd immunity, it's no longer the huge threat it once was.
Rabies was a killer of domesticated dogs as well, and it's all but eradicated in pet populations.
Vaccines are not useless, not by a long shot.
That is a misnomer. As the article reads, the vaccination of distemper led to parvo virus creation as this didn't exist pre-early 70's.

What about the vaccines grown on monkey kidney's - the link to AIDS.
What about the 90% of vaccinated for whooping cough are in fact coming down with whooping cough. But the ones who weren't 1% came down with it (numbers may not be exact but along those lines)
What about the surge in autism and ADHD and other learning handicaps -from 1 in 110,000 to 1 in 10,000 now.

Where is the evidence of your research to make such matter of fact claims. Peer reviewed studies - that means outside of the pharm sales reps. and billion dollar drug manufacturing companies "studies"

#62 ·
The "link to autism" was completely disproved.

Like other topics, we could sit around discussing all day. I'm not going to, because really, there is nothing to discuss.
Too much conspiracy theory for my tastes.

#63 ·
The "link to autism" was completely disproved.

Like other topics, we could sit around discussing all day. I'm not going to, because really, there is nothing to discuss.
Too much conspiracy theory for my tastes.
Another misnomer.;)

#64 ·
This was all fraudulent. That is no misnomer.

Report Linking Vaccine To Autism Was Fraudulent, Says British Medical Journal

Again...conspiracy theory. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

There's enough reasons for the "rise" in autism/ADHD (mislabeling and over-diagnosing springs to mind) to fill up this entire forum.

Either way, the OP is done in this thread and maybe the entire board, due to the accusations she's a poor owner because she "let" her vet vaccinate the puppy. And even if nobody meant it like that...the fact she took it like that speaks volumes :cool: It's how she felt.

There is a saying...At the end of the day people won’t remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel - Maya Angelou

#65 ·
msvette2u;2638776There is a saying...[I said:
At the end of the day people won’t remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel[/I] - Maya Angelou

That's a great saying ... too bad the three people that you've posted against weren't here too read it ...

This OP, the OP that bought their dog from overseas and had it shipped to them, and the thread Jag posted about Grim's reaction to her pug playing with her.

I understand that you are trying to provide information to people, but many times I've read a number of your posts and you come across as extremely rude and in-their-face.

If I wasn't already a confident dog owner, you would have scared me off a number of times. It's not surprising that so many people post a question and then we never hear from them again.

There are other ways of answering people's questions ... you can attract more bees with honey, is one example. Another ... you talk about how you don't bombard a dog that you first bring into the house (the two-week shutdown) ... and yet you don't treat new comers like that at all ... you persistently state YOUR case in threads and attempt to over ride anything that anyone says that differs from your opinions.

Perhaps if you employed the same methods you use with your rescue dogs on the people that post here asking questions, and looking for information, there might be fewer arguments on threads.

One thing I've learned about your posts ... don't disagree with you otherwise you're bound to be pestered until the person who "disagrees" with your opinion finally gives up and quits posting ... do you think you've won then because you got the last word? I doubt you've won ... you've just made some people think that you're a bully who won't back down until everyone agrees with what you are saying.

People are trying to provide advice, information, suggestions, etc. It is up to the OP of the thread to do more research and reach their own conclusions, they certainly don't need them hammered into their heads ... especially by someone who has to have the last word.

#66 · (Edited)
What? This OP has been in contact with me already and I never "posted against" them.
Jag...that's water under the bridge and we've been in contact with each other, everything is fine.

Also the person who had their dog shipped from overseas...REALLY?? I posted to not let the GSD attack the small dog. Many others who posted later were much more "rude" than I was, and "in their face" about the GSD vs. Chihuahua.

I'm finding it interesting that you claim I'm "rude" when others in this very thread were the cause of this particular OP leaving, and I've reached out to this OP and explained those folks mean no harm, etc., they still don't want to post here again.

I guess it's all about which side of the proverbial fence you are on, if someone's "rude" or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.