question about Parvo - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

i would follow the vets advice.
huntergreen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Parvovirus

Parvovirus Part 2

Parvovirus – Part III
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
It's a small risk until it's your puppy lying there on it's death bed.
To the OP - check with your vet - but if they recommend another few weeks and at least one more vaccine, then follow their advice.

As Jean said -

all can be done without exposing the puppy to potentially deadly disease.

I like how you want to follow the vets advice only on things you agree with. Strange how that works.

Walk the puppy as much as possible.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post

I like how you want to follow the vets advice only on things you agree with. Strange how that works.

Walk the puppy as much as possible.
I worked at a vet for many years and during one of the worst parvo outbreaks there was. If one chooses to walk there puppy and its not fully vaccinated then they should go to areas that dogs have not been. There is no reason to subject a puppy to this disease. My own dog was 13 weeks when I got her. She was in a yard with no socialization for a month before I got her. I got her the rest of her shots, got her in school, and I couldn't ask for a better dog and I'm sure I missed that important socialization period. Her health was more important to me.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I worked at a vet for many years and during one of the worst parvo outbreaks there was. If one chooses to walk there puppy and its not fully vaccinated then they should go to areas that dogs have not been. There is no reason to subject a puppy to this disease. My own dog was 13 weeks when I got her. She was in a yard with no socialization for a month before I got her. I got her the rest of her shots, got her in school, and I couldn't ask for a better dog and I'm sure I missed that important socialization period. Her health was more important to me.
I specifically said not to walk the pup in the dog park or in high dog traffic areas if you would read. How many dogs on just this forum are here due to severe behavior problems that are frequently the result of poor early socialization? Some dogs can compensate for this lack, but so many can't. These dogs aren't happy and neither is living with them.

Walk the puppy.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If parvo is so prevalant, then you're going to track it in the house by walking on a sidewalk then the pup is doomed anyhow.

Keep it's nose out of poop...would wearing booties help?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
I specifically said not to walk the pup in the dog park or in high dog traffic areas if you would read. How many dogs on just this forum are here due to severe behavior problems that are frequently the result of poor early socialization? Some dogs can compensate for this lack, but so many can't. These dogs aren't happy and neither is living with them.

Walk the puppy.

Well since you know this is the answer, please tell me, everyone else, and the OP where to go? If you would read I stated to walk the dog in an area where no dogs have been. How is one going to know that? I would just assume that a dog has been in an certain area within the last month, therefore there is nowhere to walk a puppy that isn't fully vaccinated. How are you going to tell someone to risk there dog's health over socialization? I don't find that dogs here have behavioral problems because of socialization, I find its due to genetics and the lack of training.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
If parvo is so prevalant, then you're going to track it in the house by walking on a sidewalk then the pup is doomed anyhow.

Keep it's nose out of poop...would wearing booties help?
Booties on the dog or the person?? Both would work, if they were disposable. But you still have the risk of the dog smelling something on the ground and that something could be this disease. It would be almost impossible to prevent it, especially if the dog is in an area where there has been an outbreak.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

There are some very deadly strains out there right now, even vaccinated dogs have died.
Parvo is always mutating and the vaccines don't get every strain.
msvette2u is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I love the links which I will take a look at it. Fortunately my vet is right across the street from me, so they will have a good answer whether it is safe to walk Bear up and down the road. I honestly would say NOT! He is my baby and if I lost him it would be devasating to me. I have lost enough in my life recently, my husband's passing 2 months ago and then my bird died the other day. Animals rely on the owners to know what is best for them. I am not worried about socialization, I just want him to get more exercise. But I will continue to run up and down my drive a couple of times, as it is pretty long.

My thought on that is he is learning his territory by doing this. We have 4 families living on the same drive. Most of the people are family members and boy do my grandkids love to play with him. I want him to know his territory and to protect all that live on the property.

If the vet's office says "no", then it is '"NO". I can be patient and walk him when it is safe.
Bear's mommy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.