Worried...(14 wk old puppy with diarrhea and not eating) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worried...(14 wk old puppy with diarrhea and not eating)

I got a 14 weeks female, the breeder gave it to me at 5 weeks , she was fine at first very playful and never gets tired, but after a while she was doing lots of diarrhea and poops like 3 to 4 times a day, we went to the vet and gave her some medicine and put her on intestinal diet and she was doing alot better but this week she stared not eating and doing diarrhea again badly so we went to the vet again and she's on antibiotics now but still her apitite is still small yes she need time but still worried sick she was underweight and now lost an other 1 kg at 14 weeks and shes 10 kg, and shes very sensitive to food cant give her anything without reacting to it , any suggestions? tough shes sick and not eating as used to shes still madly playful and looks happy a fine ,

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 11-22-2012 at 10:12 AM.
rovendis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Keep working with the vet and get her to eat anything! More important is fluids for such a young pup. So if she'll eat canned food and you can add a bit of broth to it, even better.

There are many things that can be going wrong but have different fixes. So if you don't see improvements in her within a day or so of the vet visit, you need to return and try something else.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Best wishes for your little baby girl, hope that you can get her stomach issues lined out soon. Please keep us informed.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Try giving to your pup baby food like gerber. Then little by little add the baby food to her food. I hope your pup gets well! My boy at 2 1/2 months gave me a scare with the same issues you are having. I gave him baby food and he ate it. Then I made some rice, boiled potatoes, and chicken and give him a little of that mixed with baby food and slowly I took the baby food away and added her food.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

i would get a 2nd opinion and have them do a thorough exam.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Was the medicine a dewormer. I don't want to sound to rude so understand the context as this is not critism to you...but was this an inexperienced breeder? Because, I find it unusual - most reputable would not let a pup go before 6 weeks (8 is the norm), let alone 5 weeks...so suffice to say, this pup likely didn't get the proper vetting before being handed over to you.

He likely had parasites from the mother and may now have SIBO (bacterial overgrowth) do to an underdeveloped immune system and parasites feasting...the die off from these microbes are making him feel sick.

Seacure is a good suppliment for puppies - expensive, but will help.

Click on the underlined

Seacure for Pets 100g powder by Proper Nutrition

Seacure for Pets speeds the healing of wounds throughout the body, repairs digestive organs, alleviates nausea and vomiting, stops diarrhea, supports the liver during detoxification, reduces the side effects of chemotherapy and possibly helps prevent or reverse cancer, prevents toxemia in pregnancy, rescues newborns from Fading Puppy Syndrome, helps elderly dogs maintain their strength and stamina, helps all dogs recover from chronic and acute illness, stimulates hair growth, reduces urinary tract infection, reduces or eliminates allergic reactions, prevents hot spots improves mobility, reduces pain, and even enhances the effectiveness of homeopathy and herbal therapies.
That miracle food exists, and dogs love its taste. They should. It's an odoriferous powder made from fermented fish.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks all for the replay, well the breeder had puppies in the past but i dont think he what you call a perfect breeder, about worms and stuff shes all clear i did her a poop test and had some bacteria and its all cleared now shes clean, about food im giving her some boiled chicken breast now and some can food suggested by the vet that helps here apitite get back to normal. well cant wiat to get better this little devil grew up alot on me.
rovendis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Excellent advise by GatorBytes -- also at 5 weeks the pup would still be nursing - slowly weaning off . There are a lot of immune benefits in rich mother's milk. One compound is LAURIC ACID -- which is found in GOOD coconut oil with high lauric acid content. This will nurish the pup and heal any digestive problems - whether bacterial dysbiosis , or parasitic load , provide energy , and is an anti diarrheal .

It takes the digestive system time to develop to accommodate kibble , which has no enzymes -- You may want to step back and provide the pup with a dog-milk replacement in addition to the other things already recommended. You can buy these at the pet food store in cans , tetra packs or even in a powder form. If not available you can give full-fat (3.8% ??) GOAT MILK , which is very digestible . The fat content is important .

Last edited by carmspack; 11-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I find it unusual - most reputable would not let a pup go before 6 weeks (8 is the norm), let alone 5 weeks

LOL...I want to correct my post as it sounds dumb. I meant to say "even" the most "un"reputable breeders wouldn't let a puppy go before 6 weeks let alone 5 wks....a reputable breeder would be 8 weeks

just through this out there as I had to be somewhere
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.