Whats going on?...he is out side eating grass like a maniac. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Whats going on?...he is out side eating grass like a maniac.

Its 251 am and my dog is out side eating grass like a maniac. He came and woke me up about 30 min to go out side. He never does this as he is a easy keeper at night. I laid there for about 10 min but he kept pacing so I knew I needed to let him out for some reason. When I got up he ran to the door. I thought for sure he was going to throw up but instead he just started eating grass. He is still out there.

He is raw fed and the only thing I can think of is that maybe what he ate tonight is upsetting his stomach. This is what he was served; about 1/4 lb ground beef, 1/4 lb deboned beef, about 1/4 pork shoulder with bone in. small slice beef kidney. (He did not eat the kideny).

He also could have gotten into something at my mother in laws house today. My wife and I both had to work late today and did not have a chance to be let out all day. My wife called her mom and asked her to come let him out. Well instead about 5pm she came and picked him up and brought him to her house and let him play with her dog for a few hours until I got off work at 8pm. There is no telling what he could have gotten into over there. He could have ate some kibble as my mother in laws dog is free fed. He also could have ate something in the back yard as it is a treasure trove of random items, plants, gardening stuff, ect...

Its 3:02. He is still out there...
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Its 3:12 and now he is back in side and wants to play. He is 18 months old. Whats wrong with this dog? (rhetorical this time). I will sit up and watch him for a few moments to see if he starts acting weird again then I am going to back to bed.....
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Usually they eat grass because their stomach is upset..shortly afterward they usually throw up.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My co-workers dog starting doing the samething in the middle of the night, wanted to go outside and was eating a ton of grass...he was bloating (he was also slobbering alot).

Now everytime our dogs eat grass doesn't mean their bloating...but it does sound like his stomach was upset.

We just have to be watchful.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He seams to be fine this morning. Crazy dog. It took me forever to fall back to sleep.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

ohhh the crazy grass eating dog...i have one of those! sometimes mine will bark at the door like he has to go out. we get outside and he runs like he's gonna poop in his invisible pants...then the brakes come on and he starts attacking the grass! typically he likes to do it when i'm running late for work, so then i grab a handful of it and throw it in his bowl. i guess i'm an enabler . glad to read ur dog is back to normal this morning.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

All of my dogs eat grass. It seems to be more seasonal, through. As if the grass tastes better in the spring & fall. But they haven't ever woken me up in the middle night to go out and graze.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

if meat is all that you are feeding then the dog is missing on nutrients found in greens.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
if meat is all that you are feeding then the dog is missing on nutrients found in greens.
Ive thought about that. About 2 weeks ago I started giving him a spoon full of boiled peas and carrots with each meal. They were included in what he ate last night, i just didn't mention it.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

no , that is starch and cooked and lacking enzymes.

I am talking about leafy greens , grasses in particular. At the very least go to the health food store and get powdered wheat grass , barley grass , etc.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.