Health Troubles - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Health Troubles

My male GSD will be a year on the 26th this month. Last week I took him to the vet because he hasn't been eating right and has lost ALOT of energy. I'm trying to figure out what could be the problem.

I changed his food from Canidae to Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice formula several months ago and he had no problem adjusting. Just his normal vacuum style eating. Two weeks ago I thought I'd let him try the Purina Pro lamb formula and that's where things seemed to go wrong. As of last week he dropped 4lbs since his previous weigh in (79.5lbs), which was about a month ago. His energy level was off the chart and now he is sitting down and just not himself. I boiled him some chicken and rice and he ate it up fine, though a little slower than normal. The vet thought maybe it was just the food change but we switched back and he is still the same. Also he did have tapeworms in his stools which he was treated for. I'm looking at him now and I think he may have lost some more weight.

Another thing I'm noticing is that his back seems sorta hunched a bit and he is favoring his left foot. He's been to the vet twice spraining his front legs on separate occasions playing and chasing my other dog around the yard. Now he is favoring his back left leg.

He is still trying to play with me, picking up his toys and bringing them to me to fetch or play tug.

I'm going to take him to the vet again tomorrow and have some blood drawn but I'm hoping someone else might have some more insight or suggestions.
GSDTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would be thinking your dog has pano and those sprained legs weren't sprained. It would explain the shifting lameness and why he doesn't feel good.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Male, one year old , reluctant to eat, favouring legs, pretty classic symptoms for panosteitis. Allow the dog to rest . An x ray will confirm this if you are worried . Wonder why the vet hasn't mentioned panosteitis to you .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just read up on panosteitis, wow, thank you both!

I thought it was a little awkward that it seems to have progressed through his legs. I told my wife just this morning that he has hurt all his legs now but one.

I'm not sure why the vet hasn't mentioned panosteitis. After reading through several websites about panosteitis, it seems to be an easy diagnoses for a German Shepherd Dog. I will mention it after he has looked at him tomorrow.

Also, I have been limiting his outside time to restroom only. Is there anything else besides rest that could help him recover quicker? (vitamins, supplements?) He's my first GSD and I just hate seeing him not being his normal self.
GSDTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

there are so many ways to help your dog that do not involve vet prescribed steroids or damaging side effects of Rimadyl. Keep the dog comfortable , feed high quality protein , allow the dog to move around as he chooses but cut back on strenuous exercise and workouts where there are a lot of bursts , stop and go, quick turns (ball play) . Too much crate time may atrohpy muscle (temporary) , but too much exercise may prolong the inflammation ,which is what panosteitis is.

How to help yourself and your dog -- antioxidants , MSM (an organic nutritional sulfur) , natural Vitamin C complete with co-factors , natural Vitamin E which has 4 tocopherols and 4 tocotrienols - not a synthetic for and not an isolate such as alpha tocopherol (which is what most capsules are but current research questions whether the isolate form has "any" benefit) . Recent research indicates that tocotrienol isomers have significantly better anti oxidant benefits partly because of the better cellular uptake . Omega 3 - anti inflammatory. If feeding high grain diet (omega 6) that is pro-inflammatory. Yucca is a good additive, as are bromelain and ginger, and green tea powder (matcha)

You can go to your local health food store and get pycnogenol a powerful anti oxidant.

or you can look in to the supplements that I have - and a new one not yet listed which has omega 3 rich camelina oil, African Red Palm oil (which also has Co-Q10) and unrefined rice bran oil.
Power of 3-EA's .

lots of ways to help yourself

Last edited by carmspack; 11-19-2012 at 03:23 AM.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.