German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   I think my stray female has bad hips =( (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/194652-i-think-my-stray-female-has-bad-hips.html)

Lucky Paw 11-18-2012 11:29 PM

I think my stray female has bad hips =(

So i just got out of surgery recovery and im able to walk again so i have been spending alot of time with my dogs i mean ALOT of time, so anyway i have a stray female that is roughly a year old, her face and size reassemble DDR lines, she is very hyper and playful and runs super fast and has a exellent drive so the other day i got her to start going after the soccer ball so she loved it. NOW IT GETS INTERESTING so she starts jumping in the air and while she lands her first jump i hear her cry so i get curious and lay her down make sure she is relaxed and lets me touch her and the second i pull her leg back streight towards the tail she cryed real loud if i do the same towards her front side she doesnt cry, she does the lazy sit too and sometimes she bunny hops. I KNOW XRAYS IS THE ONLY WAY TO TELL FOR SURE AND I HAVE TO PREPARE FOR THE WORST.

llombardo 11-18-2012 11:48 PM

Maybe she just hurt herself on the landing?

PatchonGSD 11-18-2012 11:51 PM

If she has never had any issues before this particular incident she probably hurt herself on the landing. You probably need to take her to the vet if she is still in pain in case she has torn something.

msvette2u 11-19-2012 01:04 AM

It's hard on all dog breeds to jump but some seem better at it than GSDs...if she's okay and just sprained herself a bit, definitely try to keep her from leaping up in the air.
Another member lost on of their dogs when he leaped really high and landed badly and injured himself internally upon landing :(

wolfstraum 11-19-2012 07:10 AM

Classic ACL injury scenerio.

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Surgery is still a fix - but sometimes more problems arise. But more likely is ACL tear than hip issue.

Lee

Jax08 11-19-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfstraum (Post 2633632)
Classic ACL injury scenerio.

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Surgery is still a fix - but sometimes more problems arise. But more likely is ACL tear than hip issue.

Lee

Yup. Been there, done this.

Get her hips xrayed while they are xraying her knee

WVGSD 11-19-2012 03:32 PM

The pain with hyperextension of the hind leg is classic for a cruciate ligament tear. No more jumping in the air!!!

My sister was using soft frisbees to exercise her GSD earlier this year and she was jumping in the air for them. When the dog began to have difficulties, my sister took her to a vet. She was diagnosed with a luxating patella and partially ruptured patellar tendon.

Jax08 11-19-2012 03:34 PM

Mine tore hers coming to a sudden stop on wet grass. It's not just the jumping you have to worry about. It's the full speed, sudden awkward stop as well.

qbchottu 11-19-2012 03:40 PM

Vet visit for xrays. Get hips/elbows done when she is under.

Lucy Dog 11-19-2012 03:58 PM

Could be anything from a pulled muscle to a knee injury like Lee mentioned to hips. Your guess is as good as mine.

Regardless, your dog needs to see a vet.