German Shepherds Forum banner

I think my stray female has bad hips =(

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Lucky Paw 
#1 ·
So i just got out of surgery recovery and im able to walk again so i have been spending alot of time with my dogs i mean ALOT of time, so anyway i have a stray female that is roughly a year old, her face and size reassemble DDR lines, she is very hyper and playful and runs super fast and has a exellent drive so the other day i got her to start going after the soccer ball so she loved it. NOW IT GETS INTERESTING so she starts jumping in the air and while she lands her first jump i hear her cry so i get curious and lay her down make sure she is relaxed and lets me touch her and the second i pull her leg back streight towards the tail she cryed real loud if i do the same towards her front side she doesnt cry, she does the lazy sit too and sometimes she bunny hops. I KNOW XRAYS IS THE ONLY WAY TO TELL FOR SURE AND I HAVE TO PREPARE FOR THE WORST.

#4 ·
It's hard on all dog breeds to jump but some seem better at it than GSDs...if she's okay and just sprained herself a bit, definitely try to keep her from leaping up in the air.
Another member lost on of their dogs when he leaped really high and landed badly and injured himself internally upon landing :(

#5 ·
Classic ACL injury scenerio.

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Surgery is still a fix - but sometimes more problems arise. But more likely is ACL tear than hip issue.

Lee

#7 ·
The pain with hyperextension of the hind leg is classic for a cruciate ligament tear. No more jumping in the air!!!

My sister was using soft frisbees to exercise her GSD earlier this year and she was jumping in the air for them. When the dog began to have difficulties, my sister took her to a vet. She was diagnosed with a luxating patella and partially ruptured patellar tendon.

#11 ·
Thanks for the info guys, it confuses me too because she has been running so good and so fast that makes me thing its not a hip issue, i think se was beatten and she is just bruised. Im waiting for the vet to call me with an appointment day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.