White GSD issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default White GSD issues

Hi all, I'm new to the site, and this would be my first post... I have a 4 year old female White German Shepherd. As far as I can remember, she has had pink skin, but all the information I have found states that white Shepherds should have dark skin.

The problem we're having is, she sheds like a devil, much more than normal shedding. When I brush her, which is often, it seems to grow as fast as I can brush it... I can brush the same spot for ever, and the fur just keeps coming. My vet said she is probably allergic to something. So, first we got rid of the cedar chip dog bed.. no change. I was told some dogs are allergic to chicken, so I've tried many dog foods without chicken products. I just switched her food a couple weeks ago now to Orijen 6 fish blend. It hasn't made a difference yet, but if it doesn't, I'm running out of ideas. The only other thing I can think of, is the tap water that she gets in her dish might be the problem?? Any one ever had this as a problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vet in the town I live in I feel is not the greatest.

Thank you,

MM
musicmaan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Where do you live? Different places have different tap water...
Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

On the North Coast of British Columbia, Canada... our tap water doesn't have much chlorine in it compared to most major cities, but it's the only other thing that I can think of, and will be the next change.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Borderline hypothyroidism. Very specifically find a vet who will send bloodwork to Hemopet.

Dog Hypothyroidism Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply... just looking at the link you posted, the only symptom out of all of them that she has, would be the hair loss. She is most definitely not lacking in the energy department, not aggressive in any way, and not gaining weight. She's a thin dog, as are a few of her 11 siblings.

I will check with the local vet this week and see about some bloodwork.

MM
Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is the excessive shedding something that just started or has she always been this way? Is she getting bald spots?
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Is she a coated white GSD or a shorter coat? Our Stock Long Coat White GSD is a major non-stop shedder. It's hard for us to tell when she is blowing her coat...it's just a constant shed-a-thon. I can brush her everyday and get a huge amount of hair.

I think it seems like she sheds so much because of the long hair and the many different kinds of hair that she has.

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Glad you read it. Keep in mind, the article notes gray area....soemwhere between hypothyroid and not but heading to. When in this area, natural suppliments like kelp can be added to the diet (contains Iodine).

Reg. T4 blood work will only show a thyroid shut down. Check the links (in blue) from that link as well to read up on adrenal disorders - namely cushings...prevention is key.

Let us know what you find
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Does she have hair loss or just excessive shedding because those are two totally different things. If it's just massive shedding, well...Some dogs shed more than others. Not sure if you've ever had a German Shepherd before or not but they're nicknamed "German Shedders" for a reason. Most will shed a decent size pile, especially when blowing coat.

As for the skin, could you post pictures? If she's always had pink skin and never any problems (ie. rashes) then it's probably normal pigment for her.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, she's always had pink skin (as far as I can remember) But no rashes, dandruff, and she's never scratching or gnawing anywhere. She seems healthy other than the shedding. I don't see any bald spots, and i don't think I would call it excessive hair loss. She did have worms a couple months ago, so we treated her for that. Her scat looks healthy now.

I grew up with a shepherd, and don't remember anywhere near the shedding I have to deal with now. She always has been a shed demon, but it seems to be getting really bad right now, and it's getting in to winter here with colder temperatures, so she shouldn't be blowing her coat.

MM

Last edited by musicmaan; 11-18-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.