Perianal fistulas :-( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Perianal fistulas :-(

We were told last year that Maxwell has Perianal fistulas diseases. It's been a struggle for all of us, I've changed his diet to gluten free dry dog food and I make him chicken, peas and green beans for his wet food. He is on 1/2 pill of prednisolone everyday. If there is anyone who has gone through this or is going through I would love to hear from you. I am willing to do anything to make my maxwell's life better.
Thank you,
Lisa
Maxwellhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry that Maxwell has this. I can't give you any help myself, but others here can - there's a wealth of information in the old posts too. My puppy's dealing with a reoccurring anal gland infection, and I'm trying to find a kibble that might help him. Can I ask what kibble you're feeding? How did the disease present itself in the beginning?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How long has he been on the pred? How are the fistulas responding to the pred? How old is he and how is his general health? I think it is better for you to put him on a single novel protein diet. The Natural Balance line is really good for this. Something like Fish and Potato or Venison and Potato. We are trying to find a food that will not trigger his immune system and cause an adverse GI reaction.

I would look into the cyclosporine and ketoconazole treatment plan. Ask your vet about it. This course of treatment has the highest chance of recovery and remission of PF. It is a little expensive, but the keto helps the cyclo absorb in the system better so that really helps with cost. Sam's Club and Walgreens have good deals on these medications. Surgery, cryotherapy, tail amputation etc are no longer recommended. Keep the area clean and hair free. Clip the area around his anus and under the tail. Try using Desitin on the area. That will help. I also like to keep the area clean with Vetericyn.

Try going to this site and joining the yahoo message group. The formatting of yahoo groups is pretty atrocious, but the information is very good.
perianal-fistulas
PF-L : PF-L

Keep your chin up. It's an expensive and terrible disease, but we can manage it with medication, diet and different therapies. Some others will come along to offer "alternative" remedies so that's an option as well.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

here is my 2 cents. my older dog scout got a fistula a year and a half ago. I battled it for a year. I did everything imaginable. She was on creams and ointments, prednisone, cyclo. I kept her stress free...i analized her butt daily. She oozed and oozed. I gave her honey....cleaned up puke....and everything that goes along with all the meds she was on.
I changed dog food after dog food. It was getting expensive to keep running her to the vet.
Then I bought the book k-9 kitchens and started making her food. I made her dog treats too.
She is in remission. THe hole is not closed....but it looks like a old wound. It does not ooze. it does not bother her.
I check it periodically. I do not make a big deal about it anymore. I do not need to put ointment on it twice a day anymore.
SHe plays and runs..is happy.
She is only on 5mg of prednisone every other day. I don't know what happened or what I did or what she did. It just stopped.
I know that at anytime, it could fester again but I am enjoying the fact that she is not having a problem with it and hasn't for about 7 months.
So...I did alot of research, i put together my plan. I worked diligently to get something together that worked for my dog. I kept at it and I did what I though I needed to do. And now she is in remission if that is what it is called.

How is things going with your dog now?

Oh and I realized my dog can not tolerate any type of chicken. she gets none.

Last edited by paula k; 11-18-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: mispelled word
paula k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have been dealing with this for three years. Tried everything but my dog has gotten progressively worse.
We just saw a veterinary practitioner of Chinese medicine. Homemade diet, Four Marvels Powder, and needles next appt I think. Crossing fingers for improvement.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

omg...i am so sorry. Like i said...i battled it for such a long time. She was on cyclo which I got free for the whole time. If i would have had to pay for that med, i don't know what I would have done.
It all changed when I started making her food. She got better. Not saying that that was the reason, she just stopped oozing.
SHe is a very very high strung german shepherd. Nervous and touchy. So i thought that her stress was part of the problem.
Has she ever been in remission?....I joined the fistula group that this site suggested and got so many ideas. So much advice. I gave her raw honey and made ointments. I kept her so active outside to get her body tired so she would be less nervous.
I cried so many tears over her. My stress probably caused her stress. Then it all stopped.
It is in remission and I pray that it stays that way because now, my other shepherd is going lame in the back leg and I need to pay attention to this.
So...please keep me informed on how things are going and if you ever get down and need to talk, feel free to email me. pkershaw1@wi.rr.com
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

oh and I do not give her chicken. In fact, when i started to make their food. I used hamberger or turkey. I used some left over chicken and within a day, her butt was oozing.
now I do not give her a speck of chicken. Not one.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You will want to reach out to LisaT and bowwowmeow on the board. I would send a PM so they see your thread

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...381-lisat.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...owwowmeow.html
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Switching to a RAW diet and being on the cyclosporine is what helped with Kya. I too went thru the food switching, pred and other medications, ointments (AD ointment did help a bit) and numerous trips to the vet. She has been in remission now for over a year and with the RAW diet I have been able to wean her off the cyclosporine.

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

that is such good news that you put her in remission. And the food i make is helping. I think that anyway.
She is a very nervous dog. She has been her whole life so I try to keep her as calm as I can.
My vet said fistualas and ear problems go hand in hand. Scout has had alot of ear problems.
So...i do not change anything about our routine now. She is in remission and I want things to stay that way. So whatever I am doing is working for the time being. I also dont' fuss over her butt like I did before. I check it about 2x a week whereas before I checked it numerous times in one day. SHe probably thought...enough already with the touchy touchy. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.