Possible poisoning attempt - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #51 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Honestly, without testing the Begging Strips? How does anyone know if they were tainted? I am not sure I would make that leap without proof. Those things are stuffed with chemicals (and smell like it) under the most benign of situations.

I know in my state the humane society will test items for poison if there is reason to believe that poison is involved. And they offer rewards for information leading to the conviction of anyone putting out poison if the items do test positive. I would contact every agency possible to get testing done. And if poison was involved, boy, I would have the news crews out and never let up on publicizing the situation.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with (and never will) poisoning dogs. I don't care how much they bark. And trust me, every dog in my parents' neighborhood barks NONSTOP. It drives me INSANE. But that is NO reason to kill them. Especially in such a brutal, inhumane, heartless way.
There's no excuse for it IMO. And OP's dogs do NOT bark constantly, OP has stated such. They only bark when there is someone entering the area that they should not be in.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
This isn't a MN thing and unless you have ever lived near barking dogs where the owner not only does nothing about the barking but encourages it, you have no idea how frustrating it can be. When the owner of the yapping dogs shows no interest in dealing with their stupid dogs, then many people feel pushed to deal with the problem directly and kill the dogs.[B]It would take a real cruel person to go this route./B] No one has the right to let their dogs yap and annoy the neighbors.[B]And no one has the right to kill anyone's dogs./B] The vast majority of dog poisoning is due to barking problems and the deaths can be laid directly at the feet of the irresponsible and selfish owners.
My dogs aren't barkers, but I have lived next to dogs that are. Never once did it cross my mind to kill them. I chose to ignore them and that worked just fine. If it becomes an issue then there are other routes to go.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
This isn't a MN thing and unless you have ever lived near barking dogs where the owner not only does nothing about the barking but encourages it, you have no idea how frustrating it can be. When the owner of the yapping dogs shows no interest in dealing with their stupid dogs, then many people feel pushed to deal with the problem directly and kill the dogs. No one has the right to let their dogs yap and annoy the neighbors. The vast majority of dog poisoning is due to barking problems and the deaths can be laid directly at the feet of the irresponsible and selfish owners.
I have lived where my neighbor let the dogs bark....not during the day, but at night. Growing up I lived in an apt where you could hear your neighbors snore, let alone a dog bark, and there were barking dogs there too. I NEVER even entertained the thought of poisoning the dog for a nano second. I personally find it much more frustrating to have young teens live next door, that party all weekend, drinking, swearing and making a lot of noise. Sorry, but poisoning a barking dog is just sick.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Of course no one has the right to kill anyone's dogs. But that doesn't mean that people don't. No one has the right to rape, rob or murder either, but people do it all the time.

C'mon people. No one is saying it's right.. Just that people need to be aware and take steps to protect themselves because there are people that do things regardless of whether they're right or wrong.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #56 (permalink)

I agree with Sit,Stay....until the food has been tested I would remain on guard but not become paranoid about it. It could just as easily be someone walking by threw them in your yard as a treat, as it could be poison.

I also don't beleive that Elaine is condoning or implying that she would ever poison a dog. I believe she is saying that when dogs bark on a regular basis it can drive people to do something about it, such as poisoning. I too have three dogs directly behing my house that bark at everything that goes by, it is annoying and I can understand how a NON dog person could be frustrated enough to do something about it on their own. When these types of things happen I for the most part blame the owners for not having the decency to controll their dogs barking.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I also don't beleive that Elaine is condoning or implying that she would ever poison a dog. I believe she is saying that when dogs bark on a regular basis it can drive people to do something about it, such as poisoning.
This.
We have a nutjob neighbor and I'd never put it past him to harm our dogs. For that specific reason they are inside when we go places and we check things out when we get home to make sure nothing's amiss, despite the fact he lives a half mile or more away from us.
That's really the best you can do, and also keep your dogs from being annoying to neighbors.

Quote:
Honestly, without testing the Begging Strips? How does anyone know if they were tainted? I am not sure I would make that leap without proof. Those things are stuffed with chemicals (and smell like it) under the most benign of situations.

My first thought was, perhaps their dog passed away and they "donated" the Beggin' strips to the next door neighbor's dogs thinking they'd like them.

My parents always gave the neighbor's dog a milk bone every day, as she was chained out with little to no attention - and their own dogs are still alive!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #58 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The 2 nearest buildings to me have 6 apts each in them. That is 12 families in that one block and none of them have dogs, they have to have a doctors statement to have pets. That is the corner of the yard where I found the strips that is why I was suspicious and scared, none of them have dogs.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #59 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe it was a kid, hoping the dogs would come close and they could make friends?

If there were anyway to test those strips, I sure would, just for the peace of mind!

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #60 (permalink)

It seems weird that someone would just toss a bag of treats into a yard. I would think the bag would be held and treats tossed to the dogs if kids did it. And if the apartments do not allow dogs then why would anyone have the beggin strips to feed your doggies. Also if it was poisoned why would someone just toss a bag and leave evidence, they would have to be the DUMBEST IMMORAL person to do that.
Mr. Aero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.