Possible poisoning attempt - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I hope your dogs are okay and that the poor labbie doesn't suffer any effects.

JMHO but I didn't actually read anything where anybody actually condoned any type of poisoning. The one post I read that I think people might be referring to, was not condoning or suggesting, as much as it appeared to me to be stressing the reality that some people live with in this world. Where they will do things regardless of whether they're right or wrong and we need to take steps to recognize and protect ourselves, our families and our pets from those people.

Best wishes to the OP. I would be afraid, I must admit, to let my dogs out in the morning or anytime, after that.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I completely baffled as to why anyone would condone poisoning an animal. That is horrendous.

OP - Glad your dogs are ok. I wouldn't let them out until I checked my yard and I would call the police. Who knows if it was a neighbor or someone getting their sick kicks. I would also talk to your neighbors and "warn" them about the incident. That should accomplish two things...1) If they are innocent of it, then they can keep their animals safe. 2) If they aren't innocent of it, they know that you know.
hmmm...excellent advice! Prevention is better then the alternative
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
If your neighbors are on their own property, they have every right to be there and not have your dogs yapping at them and if you not only allow this, but encourage it, they don't see any end in sight to this other than killing your dogs. Your choice. Shut your dogs up or they kill them.
Wow.....I am glad I don't live in Mn. My neighbors absolutely do not have the right to poison my dogs because of barking. There are other measures. The first being to talk to me. If that doesn't resolve the issue, call AC or the police. Unfortunately, neighbors have dogs that bark, kids that scream or vandalize things, lawns that get mowed when I am trying to sleep...etc etc. If I want to live in perfect serenity I should live in an isolated bubble somewhere.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
The only homes are to my immediate right, they are low income apts seperated by my chain link fence plus the wood privacy fence, and my dogs do not bark at any noise they make over there. I live at the end of a dead end roadway.
Hmm...

I think that you should get the treats tested, but I don't know who you would call in order to do that, besides law enforcement.

I think you should call the police in any case, and perhaps have the bag/treats dusted for fingerprints. Put up flyers, warn the neighbors.

If the police won't do anything, talk to the neighbors and put up flyers anyway.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have watched my lab all day and she is acting normal, just wanted to thank everyone for their input and well wishes.

I only have two neighbors who live sorta near me that I talk to, I will let them know about the incident. Since there are leaves down and it would be very hard to detect anything thrown over the fence I will have to make sure to take the dogs to a different part of the yard to potty. I just pray that my babies will be safe.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Karen...I am such a knob, LOL. It just dawned on me that I ref'd to you as blanketback (which is no insult - just be clear), perhaps it was the avatars, anyhow, glad to hear your doggie seems well.

Also want to note that besides the mix-up, which I cannot beleive I got wrong, as I have a secret respect for you and your posts - I consider you one of the most polite and considerate on this forum...you are always one of the first to welcome new people, You are always one of the first to comment on pics that are posted and say "thank you for sharing", you are always there to help say goodbye to a members dog, and even w/o advice to give in health issues, you always say you are wishing the best (or some derivative of).

Holy cow! I cannot see you causing an upset w/someone to warrant this issue.

Big hug...just for being YOU!

AND, you are so polite you didn't even correct my mistake
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
Elite Member

The police department paid for us sending in samples when dogs were getting poisoned in the town. We ended up sending in some laced hamburger meat, some laced hot dogs and some laced cookies.(human ones)that had been thrown into yards with dogs/cats.
Maybe call your local police department and check with them to see if they will pay the expense. After all, if someone is putting down poison stuff for the dogs, there might end up being some left where kids are and might try to eat it also.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member

op i fear your are going to have to build a smaller fenced area near your back door just to let them out in just to keep them safe. only let them enjoy your acres when you are with them. i have heard of people training their dogs to only eat what their owner gives them. i fear you need to work on this and the leave it command. i might even consider an electronic collar for this, and i hate them, but this is a matter of life and death. i wouldn't begin to know where or to have these treats tested for poison, but you should look into this. maybe someone just gave them treats with out any malice. hope all goes well. i say i hate e-colars, but i have no experience with them, not trying to insult anyone or start a debate.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
op i fear your are going to have to build a smaller fenced area near your back door just to let them out in just to keep them safe. only let them enjoy your acres when you are with them. i have heard of people training their dogs to only eat what their owner gives them. i fear you need to work on this and the leave it command. i might even consider an electronic collar for this, and i hate them, but this is a matter of life and death. i wouldn't begin to know where or to have these treats tested for poison, but you should look into this. maybe someone just gave them treats with out any malice. hope all goes well. i say i hate e-colars, but i have no experience with them, not trying to insult anyone or start a debate.
LOVE that idea!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
Wow.....I am glad I don't live in Mn. My neighbors absolutely do not have the right to poison my dogs because of barking. There are other measures. The first being to talk to me. If that doesn't resolve the issue, call AC or the police. Unfortunately, neighbors have dogs that bark, kids that scream or vandalize things, lawns that get mowed when I am trying to sleep...etc etc. If I want to live in perfect serenity I should live in an isolated bubble somewhere.
This isn't a MN thing and unless you have ever lived near barking dogs where the owner not only does nothing about the barking but encourages it, you have no idea how frustrating it can be. When the owner of the yapping dogs shows no interest in dealing with their stupid dogs, then many people feel pushed to deal with the problem directly and kill the dogs. No one has the right to let their dogs yap and annoy the neighbors. The vast majority of dog poisoning is due to barking problems and the deaths can be laid directly at the feet of the irresponsible and selfish owners.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.