Eye Problem? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eye Problem?

Our l year old female german shepherd has been displaying odd behavior. This is our 3rd shepherd and it seems there may be an eye problem. If we are over
6 feet away from her, sometimes she will look up and not recognize us, and
bark and charge at us. As soon as we speak, she backs off and looks guilty and goes to lay down. The other night, my daughter and I came home in the
dark, and my husband opened up the door and let her out. She charged at us
and I bent over and snarled at her (playing, I thought) and she ran and yelped
like a scared little kid. It was funny at first, but then concern. Is there something wrong here? She's been doing this now for over 6 months. Thanks
for any insight anyone can offer.

Just a note: she's a beautiful, sweet, affectionate, well behaved dog. She learns
quickly but is a bit more active than our last two.
Bunky15420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You might want to take her to an opthamologist. Unfortunately, general vets are pretty limited with instruments that can detect eye problems.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This sounds like rabies vaccinosis. Did she have a rabies vaccine 6 months ago, or that w/ other series?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Eye Problem

She is up to date on all her shots, visits the vet every 6 months. Healthy in all
respects. Just this quirk.
Bunky15420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Time for a vet visit. I would also want to rule out tick disease...of course her eyes should be checked as well.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

when you visit the Vet are they doing blood work? if i thought
my dog was having eye problems i would take him to an
eye doctor. if my dog was displaying behaviour issues like
yours i would find a behaviourist. check out an eye doctor
and a behaviourist. good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky15420 View Post
She is up to date on all her shots, visits the vet every 6 months. Healthy in all
respects. Just this quirk.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am not seeing the correlation of this behaviour with an eye problem. Of the senses sight is the weakest, Smell and hearing are the dogs strongest senses, dogs do not actually see as well as us and their sight is better at dusk then any other time of day.

Your dog would recognize the sound and smell of you before the sight of you a block or two away.

This sounds neurological, hence why I asked about shots. Possible your dog is suffering from vaccinosis....a vaccine reaction. This started 6 months ago. IS that when she had it done - rabies that is. It doesn't always manifest as a visible reaction in an hour, day or week....symptoms can come on later months later. That is why it is usally poo poo'd as a cause and dismissed. Vaccine reactions are severily under reported do to this.

Vaccine's contain harmful adjuvants to stimulate the immune system. These things such as aluminum (all vax.), mercury (in rabies), Formaldhyde, MSG, can cause neurotoxicity. Aluminum can pass the blood brain barrier (not too many things that can), where it stays.

This could also be a symptom of MDR-1 mutation. There is a gene which is responsible for removing harmful drug deposits from the brain. In an MDR-1 dog, this is not possible. This can lead to a seizure disorder, and I would think aluminum and mercury would be right up there in this type of disorder...may exacerbate.

Now some are going to jump on here and say it is prodominantly a Collie disorder, but it is a "herding" breed disorder, and it is likely due to GSD's not falling into this category, that people are not advised by vets to test for. Again, under reported. So vets manage Idiopathic seizure disorders with drugs, but still stick vacccines in them.

One of the causes of MDR-1 reaction is Ivermectin or type of, such as found in heartguard, revolution etc. and is on the "confirmed" list of MDR-1...as well as some other that do not contain these and fall under the "suspect" list. To note, this doesn't have to have an immediate reaction either, this can build up over time.

I will dig up some articles for you to consider on the subject of vaccinosis and MDR-1

Seizures come in different forms...not always grand mal, they can be petite mal....such as frozen on the spot and staring w/o recognition...any staggering in your dog?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Collies and GSD's are herding dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
I am not seeing the correlation of this behaviour with an eye problem. Of the senses sight is the weakest, Smell and hearing are the dogs strongest senses, dogs do not actually see as well as us and their sight is better at dusk then any other time of day.

Your dog would recognize the sound and smell of you before the sight of you a block or two away.

This sounds neurological, hence why I asked about shots. Possible your dog is suffering from vaccinosis....a vaccine reaction. This started 6 months ago. IS that when she had it done - rabies that is. It doesn't always manifest as a visible reaction in an hour, day or week....symptoms can come on later months later. That is why it is usally poo poo'd as a cause and dismissed. Vaccine reactions are severily under reported do to this.

Vaccine's contain harmful adjuvants to stimulate the immune system. These things such as aluminum (all vax.), mercury (in rabies), Formaldhyde, MSG, can cause neurotoxicity. Aluminum can pass the blood brain barrier (not too many things that can), where it stays.

This could also be a symptom of MDR-1 mutation. There is a gene which is responsible for removing harmful drug deposits from the brain. In an MDR-1 dog, this is not possible. This can lead to a seizure disorder, and I would think aluminum and mercury would be right up there in this type of disorder...may exacerbate.

>>>>> Now some are going to jump on here and say it is prodominantly a Collie disorder, but it is a "herding" breed disorder, and it is likely due to GSD's not falling into this category,<<<<<

that people are not advised by vets to test for. Again, under reported. So vets manage Idiopathic seizure disorders with drugs, but still stick vacccines in them.

One of the causes of MDR-1 reaction is Ivermectin or type of, such as found in heartguard, revolution etc. and is on the "confirmed" list of MDR-1...as well as some other that do not contain these and fall under the "suspect" list. To note, this doesn't have to have an immediate reaction either, this can build up over time.

I will dig up some articles for you to consider on the subject of vaccinosis and MDR-1

Seizures come in different forms...not always grand mal, they can be petite mal....such as frozen on the spot and staring w/o recognition...any staggering in your dog?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
Collies and GSD's are herding dogs.
Hence why I brought it up. However some will jump on this thread to dissect my comment that it is so rare in GSD's and is more a Collie breed issue, therefore negating form the possibility and giving any an all who read this a false sense of security...

I should have been clearer by what I meant - not falling into "that" category...I clicked submit instead of preview

Here is a list of percentages http://miniaussierescue.org/BusterAl...fo%20Sheet.pdf
Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

gator has some good points. first place to start is with your vet. could be an eye problem, but a neuro problem seems more likely. could even be her hearing.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.