Epilepsy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Unhappy Epilepsy

I haven't posted in a long time but today I need help.

I just got back from the vet with Macy, she had 6 seizures over 12 hours.

They did blood work and ruled out metabolic causes, all her numbers were in the normal range. She is on 97.2 mgs of Phenobarbital twice a day and 2 ml valium to be given during a seizure.

Anyone else dealing with this? Do they get better, will the seizures stop or at least slow down?

The vet didn't want to go into any of that, just the "could be, maybe" answers because she doesn't know but I would love to hear some one tell me it has all worked out for them and how you deal with it on a daily basis. Right now I am scared to leave her home alone.
MacysMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know anything about epilepsy in dogs, maybe someone will comment later. Just wanted to say I will be praying for your precious baby, and I hope that everything will turn out ok.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

there is no cure and many will speculate on the causes. i had a non gsd with epilepsy. when first diagnosed, you want to control the seizures with meds. we just followed the vets instructions and aimed for the best control with the least amount of meds. as far as we know we went over 5 years with out a witnessed seizure. when one occurred after that, the dosage was increased. our "ralph" had a normal life on the meds. its all about management once you have everything under control then life goes back o normal. ralph was a great pyraneese , and you would not believe the havoc a 120 pound dog causes during a seizure. one important bit of advice, DO NOT PUT ANY PART OF YOUR BODY NEAR A SEIZING DOGS MOUTH ! ask me how i know.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My last GSD suffered from seizures later in her life. She suffered for a year with seizures that started out with 1 and then followed by 1 or 2 more within a 24 hr period.
They say that if a dog starts to seize later in life, there's usually something neurological going on, like tumor? That is what I've been told at least. I also know that there are a lot of cases where a dog can seize and never have another one or will have it controlled by medication.
I would suggest that you keep a log of the seizures. If she does continue to have seizures you will find that they sometimes can have a pattern. This was the case with my dog, over time I could somewhat anticipate when she would have her next seizure.
There's another member on this forum that has a dog that has seizures that she manages. I think her user name is Kiya, I'm sure you could PM her and ask get some questions.
I'm really sorry that you're going through this, it can be really scary for sure. I hope your dog will be able to manage well on medication.
Good luck
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry you have to go thru this. Kiya started having seizures in November of 2005. It has been a long journey with her. She was started at the same dosage of pb as your girl. Because of the severity of her clustering that day she was also put on kbr (potassium bromide less damaging not processed thru the liver). I was ready to do everything and anything for her. My vet at that time gave me the best advise I ever got "Let's just get her under control and take it from there. You could spend thousands and thousands of dollars and never get an answer".
Thats what I did. I am very fortunate that she has good control with her meds. She was only about 18 months old and this totally broke my heart, that was almost 7 years ago.
Epilepsy is not a death sentence and many many dogs go on to lead a perfectly (kinda) normal life.
I found a lot of support online my 2 favorite sites are Canine Epilepsy Resources & Canine Epilepsy Network
I was never really able to figure out Kiya's triggers. Please feel free to pm me about any questions you have or even if you need to chat. Adjusting to the meds can take some time, at least 3 months for Kiya.
Take a deep breath and hang in there.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Epilepsy

My dog Roch is 7 years old and been having seizures since he was 2. Even on 2 meds, he still has a seizure evey couple weeks. My vet has gradually increased the doses over time, but we have to make sure they don't get too high- potentially creating other health issues. Oddly his trigger is eating, so when he walks away from his dish with that certain look, I can be ready. I have changed his diet as well, that doesn't seem to have any effect. It's hard to watch what he goes through, but a couple hours after a seizure, hes back to his normal, happy, active, funny self.
Roch's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Has anybody's dogs been tested for MDR-1 mutation (simple DNA cheek swab)...AND, have you stopped vaccinating and using spot-on pesticides known for causing neuro disorders.

Titer tests for immunity (antibodies present means they have immunity)
Natural non-toxic prevention for mosquito's, fleas and ticks.

Rabies vaccine waver due to seizures w/a postitive antibody test to avoid being forced by laws.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks everyone, so far she has not had another seizure and I have calmed down a great deal in the last few days.

The first night she was on the meds I had her in our bed sleeping, the bed started shaking and I jumped up, turned on the light to grab the Valium and she was lying there scratching looking at me like I was nuts.

We have had to start her on fish oil because her skin was drying out so much. When we would pet her it would look like it was snowing.

We are going to get the titer tests done in January when her shots are due, I did not realize we could get a wavier for rabies.
MacysMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

States Allowing Medical Exemptions for Rabies Vaccination | Truth4Dogs
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is actually surprising to me for Illinois, because when I called the Dept of Agriculture, they told me there was no exemptions
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.