Epilepsy - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
This is actually surprising to me for Illinois, because when I called the Dept of Agriculture, they told me there was no exemptions
Thank you for the link. We are in Georgia and they say no exemptions for medical reasons.
MacysMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Then you talk to your vet. Have them run a titer so they feel confident that your dog has immunity Re: liability....and then you tell them to lie. Tell them that they took an oath, that says “Primum non nocere” , or “First do no harm?” and then you ask them to sign a waiver guaranteeing the vaccine will NOT cause adverse effects and that it's perfectly safe, and that they will absorb any an all costs thereafter for treatment.

You can find this waiver on the right hand side of the link I provided.

But first, since you have a couple of months, go and talk to your vet well in advance, so you don't find yourself overwhelmed with your dog in hand and just throw yours arms up in the air and say fine. It can get a bit overwhelming to make decisions at a time of visit....that way, he/she can present their side and you will have time to find a solution...BUT, bring the waiver

Although there isn't a waiver persay, there could very well be a case by case consideration...Georgia could be on the fence right now and hasn't passed it, the date on the link was March 2012. I would think seizures are worth fighting for the right to choose, especially w/a positive titer.

Your vet can always charge you for a the vaccine and not administer. Vets do lie....so many underage pitbulls here after the ban got the chance to stay because vets said they were boxers.

Just arm yourself w/info. Dogs Naturally magazine online has miles and miles of articles on vaccines (some repetative), but links to studies from that, just google - go to blogs, click on vaccines...scroll down to archives.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacysMom View Post
The first night she was on the meds I had her in our bed sleeping, the bed started shaking and I jumped up, turned on the light to grab the Valium and she was lying there scratching looking at me like I was nuts.
OK, I laughed out loud at this!!!! Your nerves are a mess, and all your poor dog is trying to do is scratch an itch!!! I bet she thought you were nuts!!! Good to at least have a chuckle during this tense time.

I don't know anything about dogs with epilepsy, but you've certainly been given some wonderful advice.

I can say that my neighbours had a black lab with epilepsy, and Lucky lived to 15 years of age ... so it's definitely not an early death sentence!

Good luck, and fingers crossed that all goes well.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd be careful about the bed unless you have plastic on the matress.
Also if its any consolation, Kiya never had reaction to rabies vacine.
When it began I tried to eliminate anything and everything I could possibly think of that could be a trigger. Over the years I have added a lot of stuff back into our life pretty much with no problem.
Don't drive yourself crazy, I did. I remember jumping at the slightest twitch she made, I was pretty bad those days.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
I'd be careful about the bed unless you have plastic on the matress.
Also if its any consolation, Kiya never had reaction to rabies vacine.
When it began I tried to eliminate anything and everything I could possibly think of that could be a trigger. Over the years I have added a lot of stuff back into our life pretty much with no problem.
Don't drive yourself crazy, I did. I remember jumping at the slightest twitch she made, I was pretty bad those days.
This is how my family was with our first epileptic dog. Nothing we did ever seemed to make a difference other than the meds.

We've had two, both shelties. The first was idiopathic and her seizures were managed OK for quite a while before the increasing levels of drugs needed to control them turned her into a zombie. She died of a heart attack during a severe cluster when she was nine. The second was as a result of a head injury. He was fetching a ball in the house and turned and launched himself right into the door jamb. Knocked himself out for a second or two and the seizures started the next week. His were mild, only happened once, maybe twice a year. He was never on any medication for them and lived to the ripe old age of 15.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

I had a shepherd that had seizures. He was a huge boy, about 135 lbs and not fat. We had him on meds too. We had to be very prompt w/ dosage. We did 6am and 6 pm. If I was late he would seizure. We also had other dogs and some would attack him if he seizured. I guess a pack thing where they take out the weak. If you have other dogs watch that. He was alot to manage. Hopefully you will never have another and it was a bump on the head. Also if you ever have to put your dog under for an operation watch what they use and tell them of her condition. P.S. as you can read alot of people manage this just fine. Good Luck
VCGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have not posted here in quite awhile now (busy busy!) but I do read the forum then and there now...the epilepsy posts really grab my attention.

My female GSD has epilepsy, and is a very young dog. She tends to have cluster seizures (grand mal after grand mal). Pheno was doing nothing to help her.

She is on 2 different medications - pheno and Keppra.

The keppra did wonders. No more seizures! NONE. Once, she was acting as if she were going to seize and I gave her some liquid keppra and she did not seize. However, it is priced accordingly. But, there is a generic available. I buy mine through costco (where else?), where a month of meds is ~$30-40. Much better than $400!

Talk to your vet, first and foremost.
TankGrrl66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

When Dakota first starting having seizures, they were not as frequent as your dog. However, here is his story, I hope it gives you hope. This is a long story.

Dakota was about 3 years old when he had his first seizure. It was the middle of the night (or early morning) and he woke us up because of the noise. His first seizure lasted at least 10 minutes, if not 15 minutes. It seemed like it would never end. My mom and I were both sure he was dying. It was a full blown, grand mal seizure. Finally, he stopped. We called the vet (he was blocking the door and was 95lbs) and they said "bring him in." We told them we couldn't because he is 95lbs and he cant get up and walk. After the seizure he could do nothing. Knew nothing. Just laid there. He looked through me as if he didn't know who I was. The vet pretty much told us, well call some one to help you lift him and we will see you when you get here. Yeah. Like anyone will come to our house at 5:30 in the morning to lift a a dog who is covered in urine and feces and doesn't know who anyone is. So we tried to get him on a blanket to carry down the steps. We couldn't even get him on the blanket.
Finally, at least an hour later, my cousin came over. I was supposed to bring food to a volleyball tournament, so she was getting the food. My other dog barked and Dakota got up and went down the stairs. We put him in the car immediately and took him to the vet. He had a petite mal seizure while we were there. They put him on phenobarbitol.
Everything was fine for a few months. Then he started having seizures again, about once a month, almost always in the middle of the night. Eventually, they put him on potassium bromide in addition to the phenobarbitol. Again, everything went great for awhile.
Then he started having seizures again. It was about once every month. Then once every two months. Then all of a sudden, there was a big problem. He had a seizure, another in 12 hours, another a few hours later, another 12 hours later. We took him to the emergency vet. They gave him more phenobarbitol (an injection) and everything was great. A few months later it happened again. Only the injection didn't work. So, we took him back to the e-vet and they kept him over night with a drip of phenobarbitol. He spent the next day and part of the next night at the e-vet and his regular vet. When he came home, he could barely walk. I had to follow him with a blanket under his belly. He knew who we were and who he was, he was just weak and uncoordinated. It took about a week for him to be completely normal again. He lost 5-10lbs from the ordeal.
Our normal vet prescribed him a medicine called Kepra. It was very expensive at the time, so she told us to use for a few days ( my memory is foggy on the exact time) in in addition to the other meds after he has a seizure. Her hopes were that he wouldn't cluster. It worked... for awhile. We were "up north" when he had his next problem. We have a vet there, but they don't have an emergency vet. When he had the second seizure within 24 hours, I was nervous. Luckily, he didn't have another one, but we called the vet for the soonest appointment.
The vet there was shocked. Dakota was on the amount of potassium bromide a dog who was 90lbs should have been on, and he was now 145lbs! Apparently, our regular vet just missed the fact that he gained a lot of weight, from being sedated, eating peanut butter (with the liquid meds in the begining) and being part lab. She adjusted his levels of both medications. The vet down state wasn't comfortable with the dose, but agreed to leave it higher. He has not had a seizure in almost 2.5 years!

It is HARD, very hard. It hurts to watch. Sometimes you wonder if you are being fair or if you should put them to sleep. Then other times you think " WOW, if I would have put them to sleep way back when (whenever you were considering it), they would have missed out on a lot of life. With Dakota, he would have missed out on 2.5 years and counting. They will likely adjust the medications a million times. They will want to do blood work. A lot.

Dakota is on an obscenely high amount of phenobarbitol. Most vets would not agree with it. Our vet has agreed to continue it, because it is all that is keeping him alive. Yes, it could destroy his liver. But he will live much longer on a higher dose with a risk of liver failure, than with a lower dose that does nothing for him. Our vet has also been pretty good about blood work. She doesn't make us get it as often as recommended because we cant afford it. She also doesn't have us get both the medicine levels checked and the normal blood panel. We just get the normal panel.

I cant guarantee that the medications will work. I can just offer you hope that it can, even if it seems like it cant. If you want more advice, feel free to PM me.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

My dog started having cluster seizures after first shots. Naturally, vet wanted to put him on pheno. I said no. He was too young and it's too hard on liver and rest of body. Instead, I put him through a detox and stopped giving him any processed food whatsoever (easier than it sounds), used no chemicals on him, no more vaccinations, no flea or tick meds, no heartworm meds, and you know what? For the next 12 years, I was able to maintain him like this where he'd have one seizure every year or so. Big improvement from cluster seizures weekly! And I did it totally without drugs, so his quality of life, imo, was vastly improved. He was the picture of health, aside from one moderate seizure every year or so.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post
My dog started having cluster seizures after first shots. Naturally, vet wanted to put him on pheno. I said no. He was too young and it's too hard on liver and rest of body. Instead, I put him through a detox and stopped giving him any processed food whatsoever (easier than it sounds), used no chemicals on him, no more vaccinations, no flea or tick meds, no heartworm meds, and you know what? For the next 12 years, I was able to maintain him like this where he'd have one seizure every year or so. Big improvement from cluster seizures weekly! And I did it totally without drugs, so his quality of life, imo, was vastly improved. He was the picture of health, aside from one moderate seizure every year or so.
how did you get by the local laws calling for the rabies shot ? tks
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.