2 Year Old Shepherd, Vomiting & Bloody Watery Diarrhea - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quick question for you guys and gals, how much of a bland diet (cooked rice) would you give to your GSD if he recently had diarrhea and vomiting? I gave him another table spoon of cooked rice and he wants more, he seems just a bit weak because he has no food inside of him other then the tablespoons I gave him at 8am and now another at 9:30am
I'm not sure how much is too much until I confirm with the vet in an hour.

He seems fairly alert as hes standing on the front porch and barked a few times at a cat that ran by but still a bit weak as he hasn't eaten in almost two days, other then the two spoons I gave him earlier. So I just want to know how much would you guys give him? two tablespoons? Three? a cup? two cups? I think a cup is pushing it but I know he wants food because he was standing in front of his bowl and then watched my father make himself a sandwich, which he is now circling around him and looks much more like his normal self, trying to beg and to see if a piece of food drops on the floor.

Last edited by mikeschmeee; 11-14-2012 at 01:55 PM.
mikeschmeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

No, don't listen to his 'gut' as it's irritated and thus would 'feel' hungry.
Wait and talk to the vet.
He's not going to suffer, even if he went another day without food at all.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Talk to the vet, and have his blood work rechecked.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

Just got back from the vet! Everything seems to be in order. The vet and all the nurses said how wonderful and cheery he looks. They took the catheter out, did another blood test and a fecal smear. Red blood cells are at 46 which is good and the fecal showed a little bit of dark and green substance. The vet told me that blood turns black once it dries out so do not be surprised if I see a little bit of black or green in his next stool. The vet also mentioned to give Morres about a cup of the bland diet four times a day and make sure he is drinking well.

I just gave him some lunch, rice with a tiny bit of chicken and some of the water that the rice and chicken was boiled in, which was about 3/4 of a cup. I don't want to give him too much just incase if it all some how decides to upset his stomach. I also gave him an ice cube as he prefers that at this point versus water. I gave him his first does of Metronidazole with a tiny tiny bit of gastro. He wouldn't swallow the pill or even if I mixed it into his food or covered it with chicken. So I put the pill into a tiny ball of this gastro stuff. I really hope it doesn't effect him. We'll see how he feels later on in the day, tomorrow and throughout the week. If anything should happen I'm only 5 minutes away from the vet so I can bring him back in but I'm pretty sure everything will be great from now on... or until the next time he decides to dig something up in the garden.

Thanks again everyone! Love the support.
mikeschmeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

looks like things are clearing up, but monitor his fluid intake as dehydration is the biggest problem with these type of illnesses.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If he's eating w/o vomiting, then put down some water so he can monitor what he needs...

Glad you and he are feeling better.
have a look online about the food and any and all treats you have given him to make sure you don't have a bad batch...even if bought a month ago, the food could be from 6 months ago

Cheers!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I don't want to give him too much just incase if it all some how decides to upset his stomach. I also gave him an ice cube as he prefers that at this point versus water.
This is actually better than giving him all he can drink - which could trigger vomiting again (just like in humans).

A lot of small, frequent drinks (sips) are better and are easily assimilated where drinking more than 1/2 c. at a time can cause a relapse in stomach symptoms.

Just keep in mind how you'd feel (and how you'd treat yourself) if your gut had gone through all his went through
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Adding some slippery elm before you feed him will help heal his gut.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-14-2012 at 10:19 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #29 (permalink)

Glad to here he is doing better
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm glad your dog is doing better! I had something somewhat similar happen with a previous dog but the symptoms were different... We had to go to the emergency vet because it started at night (of course it always seems like these things happen when the vet is closed). It was years ago so I don't remember the progression of the symptoms but she was shaking/jittery and she had vomiting and diarrhea. She had gotten into some garbage the day before, but we could not figure out anything that she would have eaten that would be likely to cause the symptoms. The only thing that was in the garbage that the vet said could have been a cause was some coffee grounds but that was not something she would eat (she never tried to eat non-food items or weird things like coffee).
We never did find out the cause for sure. The emergency vet kept her overnight, had her on fluids and she was a lot better in the morning and she improved steadily after that with no further complications.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.